New to me '81 Cherokee Chief project

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
az chip

New to me '81 Cherokee Chief project

Post by az chip »

Just got this today. I am sponge for ideas!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
az chip

Re: New to me '81 Cherokee Chief project

Post by az chip »

'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

will e

Post by will e »

That looks like it is in pretty good shape overall. What are your plans? Do you want a camping rig? A trail rig? A daily driver or ??

You've been out with mine, although I think I put the tons on after our trip. Mine is more of a dedicated camping/trail rig.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Well,

I want to be able to wheel it. Take it camping, and drive it if I want to as a DD. Not a long term DD. Just during monsoon season. I would like a different color than red. Just getting started and I was hoping to bounce ideas off of you once in awhile.

will e

Post by will e »

I would put a spring lift, some bigger tires, sliders and a selectable locker in one or both axles. It looks like you have an np219 which is a decent case. Do you know what your current gears are?

BTW, I have a spare set of axles shafts (all 4 corners) AND some upgraded rear shafts (Dutchman) that have never been installed. A set of bearings too. Let me know if you are interested.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
az chip

Post by az chip »

Bringing it down on Wednesday from the Rim. Your plan is very close to my plan. I like your lift height. No idea on current gears. Did not read the tag. I started hyperventilating when I saw it was a Chief S wide track...lol. How can you tell it is a NP219? I thought they had a NP208. It has the weird shifter next to the tunnel.

I would be interested in axles. Just need to recover some Jeep funds first. Which will be easier because my wife wants to drive the Cherokee.

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

Look like it has lock out on the front wheel, if so it more than likely a 208. I have not seen a 219 with lock out.

will e

Post by will e »

Jerry, I think that's the cap and it does look like a locking hub. But this picture is the giveaway:

The flag shifter shows 4, 4 hi, n and 4 low. So it appears to be full time 4wd.

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

The flag shifter by the tunnel should just be for Lo-range. The shifter would be either in the glove box or in a little square box by where your right knee would be on the dash. I guess there could also be a big U-bar shifter if someone retro-fitted a D20 or something? I thought the 208 was a full time with locking feature similar to QT, or is that the 229? You NP guys...hehe
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

Looking at the front hub better it look like a just the hub cap and the is a 219