LS swap engine/driveline questions

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
marcallen

LS swap engine/driveline questions

Post by marcallen »

I've had some health issues as of late and have another shop helping me sort out my current project.
I've got LM7 5.3, bored, LS1 rods and pistons in front of a 4l60/NP241 going in a 79 Cherokee that had a D20/passenger side drop and a D44 rear. The tech I'm working with is concerned about the healthy amount of offset in the rear axle, so I'm wondering how much do I really have to push the engine/trans to the right besides clearing the steering shaft ?( I'm doing hydroboost also, so the diaphragm is a non-issue) The old combo was center output and I didn't really think about it and take pics, but I'm sure the driveshaft had a bit angle between the rear and TC already, yes ? And beyond that what is my best solution for a smooth shaft and joint combination.

Thanks ahead of time,
Marc

miltos68wgoneer

Re: LS swap engine/driveline questions

Post by miltos68wgoneer »

I did a 1 inch offset. Double cardan is nice but not necessary. I beleive offset does not matter as long as they are parallel.
68 WAGONEER / 5.3l, DIY ported heads, long tube headers, lingenfelter cam, griffin rad, trans cooler, E fan /4l70e, front discs,2003 grand cherokee seats front and rear, super wagoneer center console,hydroboost.
53 CHEVY 210 stock

http://s64.photobucket.com/user/miltos6 ... t=3&page=1

derf

Post by derf »

The D20 had no problem with the offset axle. The 241 shouldn't have any trouble either.
W0JPR

Check out my gear ratio calculator

If you can't fix it with a hammer or duct tape you have an electrical problem.

Topic author
marcallen

Post by marcallen »

Thank you for the replies..it made sense too what everyone just said..I have an 83 with a D30 rear and no apparent offset, and then a 76 with QT, but it compensates, so its good to get reinforcements. Im new to Jeep stuff still looks weird from time to time.