J20 radiator and springs

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
myjeeps3

J20 radiator and springs

Post by myjeeps3 »

I have a 1979 j20 with a chevy 350 engine.Those of you who have done swaps what radiator are you using?My inlet and outlet are reversed from the stock positions.I would like to go to an aluminum but need to watch the cost.
I need some new springs on the rear.Stock to a 4" lift. What springs are you happy with and where did you purchase them at?
Thanks in advance
Chris

racerx12003r1

Re: J20 radiator and springs

Post by racerx12003r1 »

Hey Chris. I also did a 350 swap and just used toe factory radiator. For the upper hose, I used a Hose for a 2003 mustang and cut it down shorter. It fit really good. I later got a thermostat housing for a 1969 Chevelle. It came out straight instead of at the angle all the other thermostat housings did. As for the lower hose, I simply got a flex hose and run across to the radiator. Now, to be honest, I'm running an electric fan so clearance was no biggie. I recently pulled it back out and replaced it with a 5.3 vortec from a GMC Yukon. I had a friend of mine that works at a muffler shop bend me some exhaust pipe to fit and i just use a short piece of rubber hose on each end. It worked out great. I have some pictures of it on my build thread. It's under Project Low Budget Chevy Swap. I have had no problems keeping it cool with this setup.

As far as springs go, I'm no good with that one. I am preparing to do a SOA and shackle flip using some new factory springs. I hope this helps you some
Daniel

1980 J10 Thunderbolt Grease slapper (formerly Beast II)

csuengr

Re: J20 radiator and springs

Post by csuengr »

A good radiator shop would be able to swap the inlet/outlet for you.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.