New Radio Wiring

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Hydrophilic455

New Radio Wiring

Post by Hydrophilic455 »

This probably belongs more in just an old vehicle forum but it is a jeep so here I am. When I bought the jeep the PO said the stock radio hadn't worked since he'd gotten it (a long time ago). I wan'ted to put a newer one in anyway. So when I took the stock one out I noticed that the harness has the left/right and front/rear wires in the plug, the black ground and red power wire. The blue one in my hand in the second pic went from the harness to nothing. I'm not sure but is that supposed to be the ignition wire with the red being the always power to maintain memory? Where should that blue wire go, fuse box? The radio I have that I want to put in has an ignition "red" wire (which is the only one that I don't know where to put).

To those guys that have done the swap did you get a new harness to match the one in the dash or did you just cut it out and splice the wires together (which is the direction I'm leaning)?

Thanks

1974 Wagoneer BBB 455/TH400/Quadratrac

Cheap Hobby

Re: New Radio Wiring

Post by Cheap Hobby »

On a Kenwood that should be the antenna power lead. You can cut and splice to build your own harness. Check the fuse panel a lot of after market installs by passed the fuse panel or for some reason left the in line fuse in the new harness and tapped the factory power so there were 2 fuses.
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Antenna power or sub amp poiwer lead it powers up when the radio is turned on.
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

Topic author
Hydrophilic455

Post by Hydrophilic455 »

Ah I see, so that's the amp remote. So did the stock radios not have an ignition switch or not have a power all the time switch (directly to the battery)? Either way I'll run the new one just not sure which one? I'll get a cheap voltmeter tomorrow and see if the wire has power all the time or just when ignition is at accessory or past.
1974 Wagoneer BBB 455/TH400/Quadratrac

husker77

Post by husker77 »

If I was to guess that red is only hot with the ignition on, I doubt the old radio had any need for a constant power to keep memory settings, just a guess.

I hate messy wiring and crimped stuff. I like to run something like this

I would use 2, one with 9 spots for the speakers and amp turn on and one with 3 for ign hot, constant hot and ground. Or adjust according to desired results. If you ever change anything you can get the metal pins new and you don't have a mess of crimps and cuts.

letank

Post by letank »

So a 74 radio harness, is plane jane, from the fuse box to the radio, may be an orange wire to dim the display when the lights are on, for the AM, or AM/FM oem radio, the speaker was above the radio.

Not near the TSM, so check with Tom's site

http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/GW_wiring.html
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

j10jim

Post by j10jim »

husker77 wrote:If I was to guess that red is only hot with the ignition on, I doubt the old radio had any need for a constant power to keep memory settings, just a guess.

I hate messy wiring and crimped stuff. I like to run something like this

I would use 2, one with 9 spots for the speakers and amp turn on and one with 3 for ign hot, constant hot and ground. Or adjust according to desired results. If you ever change anything you can get the metal pins new and you don't have a mess of crimps and cuts.
Where do you get those? I would love that setup for me new gauges and radio, and.....
1980 J10/20
Rusty's 4" lift, 2" body lift, old Cliffhanger front bumper, 35" tires, 65 dash w Speedhut gauges.
Xtrusion Overland rack system, Tepui tent, 1/2 decked system.

LONG time member of ifsja.org, FSJ-List and some others...

mao2nd

New Radio Wiring

Post by mao2nd »

Hello everybody... In regards of radios, I have a 1986 GW, and I want to replace the radio for a nice one; any idea of which Metra Kit works for my Waggy? I can't find the right one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

husker77

Post by husker77 »

Doesn't look like metra makes one but scosche does, part #010FJ1550B

http://wwv.crutchfield.com/p_142FJ1550M ... ml?tp=3121