Hydroboost Question - Maybe the Tee

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Iceman0502

Hydroboost Question - Maybe the Tee

Post by Iceman0502 »

I almost have my wagoneer back on the road and have a little dilemma with the Hydroost and power steering. The truck only gets started once or twice ever week or two right now ( no need to start it more in the garage, just keeping everything moving and lubricated.

Each time i go to start the truck there is no power assisted steering. Jack up the front axle and turn the wheel 10 ish times and it comes right back.

Installed was a hydroboost unit from a 95 astro. The return line tee is set up correctly ( i have definitely looked into this many times) the hydroboost returns into the tee at the 90 degree and the steering box returns straight through. The PS cooler is right after the steering box before the tee.

The steering pump and box are a little old and the pump does make some noise (it will soon be replaced).

My biggest question is why does the power assist disappear after sitting for a week or longer. Is getting back pressure and its necessary to have a hydroboost return line go directly into the pump reservoir.
I have noticed that the resovoir may be a little over filled because some fluid pushes out of the cap occasionally. Maybe an air pocket.

Im slightly confused and would like to figure this out before putting it back on the road.

Thanks

carnuck

Re: Hydroboost Question - Maybe the Tee

Post by carnuck »

Pressure regulator is bleeding down after sitting. If you pump the brake with the wheel turned slightly it should catch up. Common in older Chevs too.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Topic author
Iceman0502

Post by Iceman0502 »

Well that makes sense.

I am being a little slow right now, but is the regulator in the hydroboost its self? How do i go about fixing this or do i just get a new hydroboost?

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

I just rocked the wheel and pumped the pedal till PS kicked in. Just make sure it isn't a loose belt. My line has a Y instead of a Tee.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle