Mechanic Frustrations Resolved

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Mechanic Frustrations Resolved

Post by Nikkormat »

So, almost three months ago now I threw a rod through the oil pan on the 401. A month ago next Wednesday, I delivered the folowing to my previously acomidating, tool loaning, family friend, boat borrowing, speedy mechanic:
-1 fully assembled 401
-2 sets of gasket
- New rubber motor mounts and hardwear so he can just cut the old nuts off to save time
-6 gallons of oil
-3 filters
- MY engine stand
- MY crate for the old motor
- New Radiator

And while I've waited a month I got the engine ready to pull. So I've done a quarter of the work already.

So today I drive by and all of the cars ahead of me are done and instead of putting my GD motor in he's working on three cars had he just gotten in that day. (He has also pushed it back 7 other times) WTF right? He's already wasted a third of my warranty and the old motor isn't even out yet! Now he says he'll try for Christmas! :shock:

Maybe he thinks he can push me around because I'm a kid... But I'm fed up to say the least. :banghead:

Here are the options as I see it now...

#1 - The great Cherokee heist.
He doesn't work weekends, and leaves the shop empty. So me and two of my friends who can hold a wrench will go over there and pull the jeep out of the hole he stuck it in, pull the motor and trans, and get it ready for the new motor. Then we will park it in front of the door. Forcing him to fix it or move it back into a parking space. Alone.

#2 - The inglorious Cherokee repo.
I give him an ultimatum. Have it in and on the lift Wednesday or I'm having it towed to my house and buying the tools I'm missing to do it myself. I then buy some steaks and use them to bribe my wrench monkeys into loaning me an air compressor, more jack stands, and their weekends. :D

#3 - Operation ¡Vivá La Cheérokee!
I put some plywood down to let my hoist roll around on the dirt and swap the motor by myself with hand tools in his parking lot. I then leave and he doesn't get paid.

What would you do?
Last edited by Nikkormat on Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Re: Mechanic Frustrations

Post by Nikkormat »

I would also like to point out that he said the block and heads were cracked. They are not and the internal damage is to the lower rotating assembly only. The bore of the rod that threw a cap is fine on boroscope and only a lifter seized to the cam is preventing the motor from turning. He could have had the block built saving me $1000 bucks.

letank

Post by letank »

indeed more than frustrating, anger will not coerce your friend to work, I can see some resistance from his point if he has not done anything.
Approach and because you are loosing time on the warranty, ask if there is any chance that you and some friends can borrow his space, and may be his tools but he may not loan any tools, so you can remove and install the dam #$%# engine. you will provide beer and pizza or other entertainment, if he is present to assist you morally.

The plywood on dirt is not a great option, I have done it and usually the plywood will give way at the most difficult time, concrete rules, but flat concrete is better a small slope will carry the engine hoist in the wrong direction.

Mark the hood attach point on the hood hinges and remove hood, it speeds up removal, even for an intake manifold it is a very good option.

Have torch ready to remove the exhaust manifold, that is a bear usually.

good luck
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

I got lucky with the manifold bolts... They all came free with the 10 foot breaker bar. And I only broke one of my cheap impact sockets!

I won't use anger, I don't want to burn that bridge. He does darn good work on everything but the jeep. Its like he doesn't like how easy it is to work on, no profit in accessible bolts!

The motor will be locked inside anytime I'll have access to a solid surface. His shop is small, and the driveway is smaller. And he won't lone space.

Wrench monkeys is a term of endearment for my friends with freshly caliced hands. But both bought projects within the past week so we have been trading labor for labor. To pull the jeep out we would have to move a dumpster, and push it 20 feet. But after that we would be on solid ground. If he showed up Monday and it was moved and ready for asembally he would probably work it in and make a couple hundred bucks. Or we could get it towed to a flat heated garage for $50 bucks.

Maybe if he won't make commitments when I go talk to him about getting my tire plugged tomorrow I'll scramble the team and get her moved to where it can be towed. Then I'll pick up my motor on Monday... Decisions Decisions...
Last edited by Nikkormat on Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

A few extra cents:
Even if he is a private individual and not a real business, once he accepted the job he has rights and responsibilities. One of those 'rights' is having an implied mechanic's lien on your vehicle. This is common law and provides him an avenue to recover his parts, supplies and wages in the even the customer cannot or refuses to pay the agreed amount for his services. If you show up demanding he release the vehicle as-is he has the option of demanding a reasonable amount or even the full amount agreed upon before letting the rig out of his custody. If you piss him off it could get very ugly so I don't advise that route.

Entering onto his property without permission, especially when he in not present is a crime. Entering and removing the vehicle without settling up with him is a felony in many states so that's a bad idea.
Entering and working on your vehicle without permission is a crime as well if he wanted to push the issue.

Unfortunately, the engine builder or whomever supplied the engine is not required to extend the warrantee once you took possession of it. You could contact whomever, explain the delay and ask if they would extend the warrantee to account for the time the thing has sat waiting on the mechanic. The supplier is not obligated to help you out in that way, but with the right attitude and straight-up talking, you might be surprised.

It sounds like this mechanic friend is not motivated to work on your rig for whatever reasons and is placing other vehicles in front of it because he's wanting to make income. Regular repair jobs that can get in and out are often preferred to the bigger stuff because it's quick cash flow. It's not right, but it is common.

So, without knowing the details beyond what you've shared, I would suggest you consider talking to him, agreeing on a price for whatever he's done so far and get your rig elsewhere.
Talking in a polite but assertive manner often gets results when you get it said plainly and without drama.
If that doesn't work and he gets upset, he could easily make your life difficult...and doing things like half-assing the install or even sabotage is not out of the question.

I learned a harsh lesson many years ago that the quickest way to lose a 'friend' or associate is to have money get between ya.

If you manage to get out from under him without getting arrested consider the money you pay him to get your jeep out of there as the price of discovering his character.

Good Luck!

Jim
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Oh, and your recourse is small claims court or the police if things get stupid.

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

If you consider him a friend then talk to him stating your concerns and his options with a defined timeline. This will give you an opportunity to either have him do it or you do it.

Personally, I would have just accumulate the parts, location, two days, food, friends and refreshments then do it myself. Be carefully with the friends you choose to have help you. I have done two swaps with hand tools and a cherry picker, mind you I am no mechanic I learn as fast as I bust a knuckle.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

He mostly does major repairs, about three days per car. He lets his other two employees do the minor work like tires and small repairs.

I've got his permission to work on it when he is and isn't open. So maybe I can say "Hey I can have it ready and in front of your door on Monday morning when you get here, I'll evem help push it in."

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Yeah it sounds like calming down & going into the shop to work both when he's there & not there would be of great help. You could probably motivate him simply from your motivation & help. In his defense there's no reason why you couldn't pull the motor, clean things, prep the rig to help & really contribute to your friends assistance. Letting him know both you're not waiting on him to do things. You could be doing these things to assist your friend. His first priority should be to pay the bills & feed his family. That has to happen. It sounds like you not being involved may be the real problem here. Or at least in your friends eyes. Humans are resistive in nature trying to force him to do something will blow up. Almost getting it ready to pull & having it out of the way will make a big difference to your friend I'm sure. How much is he charging you to do this? Being his friend could be the key. Since I'm only hearing one side I'm reading between the lines but I'm betting I'm not far off. After throwing a rod there's no telling what could be damaged beside the bore. It very well could be it has other problems.

So basically I know some of this is Duped from Tats thoughts but I'm with him on this one. I've been in your friends position.
Last edited by serehill on Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

As far as leins are concerned, he is at zero labor and zero parts. I have provided every but and bolt.

The motor has been ready to pull for two months.

He's getting his standard hourly charge for the install and tear out, he is my friend but I'm there as a customer.

I'm not mad, just frustrated.
Last edited by Nikkormat on Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Did I mention that the Cherokee is my only driveable vehicle right now? Well, would be driveable.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Alright, I went in again friday to talk to him... And somehow he has pulled a mechanicle maricle. In one day he got done the 7 or 8 cars that he had put in ahead of me again done. Two timing belts, three sets of new tires, a battery, and a rear center section in a dodge.

- "Hey it looks like you guys are getting caught up around here."
- "Yeah, we pushed 7 out so far today. I've got a jeep to do later and then we'll be able to bring your heep (he's a Land cruiser guy) in Monday. Sorry it took so long, we just got hammered with those cold fronts a couple of weeks ago and have been behind ever since."
- "Well hey if makes it any easier I can get that jeep moved out in front of the door for you, that way you guys dont have to mess with it."
- "Sure I'd like that. Can you stick it over there ass end first? That way we can get it up on the lift and not have to crawl under it."
- "Yeah I think I can mange that. Is it alright if I take out the radiator and fan? That'll save a good hour of work. I can even take the ac and and timing cover off if you'd like."
- "The radiator and fan is a good idea but leave me the ac and front cover just so I can see how it goes together."
- "Alright thanks man, I'll see you Monday. Have a nice weekend."
- "You too"

Tatsadasayago

Re: Mechanic Frustrations Resolved

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Bravissimo!

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Grazzi!

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

MOOOOOO betta all the way around. That is great. great?? NOO that is outstanding way to have no regrets & probably a much better finished product. :-bd :-bd & NO :banghead: To be able to :fsj:

WIP

MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

For sure! Way better than me learning how to do it. Plus if it gets F'ed up he or the builder will be responsible. :D

No more :banghead: Just :fsj: :-bd

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

BTW most engine builders will extend your warrantee if you send them a receipt showing a professional installed your engine with a date on it. Most engine builders like to see the engine was professionally put in & will work with you. I suggest you try. Honestly if something happens to the engine within the warrantee you could be screwed any way from a quality standpoint. if it didn't last that long that's not good. Most engine builders depend on that too.

Best of luck
Last edited by serehill on Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WIP

MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

Read the warranty. Most go from the time of professional install (within a reasonable length of time, say a year). Note that warranty doesn't cover things like overheating, or lack of oil.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle