Brake options, LS3 Wagoneer

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Iroc313

Brake options, LS3 Wagoneer

Post by Iroc313 »

Getting started on swapping an LS3 into a 1980 wagoneer pretty soon, and after driving the truck around for a while I am more than certain that it needs better brakes if it's going to have 100+ more hp.

I've read into the hydroboost setup that most people do, most everyone says it's a night and day difference. But I'm curious if anyone has tried to retrofit larger brakes on the front?

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Brake options, LS3 Wagoneer

Post by Stuka »

I am not sure of anybody that has put larger rotors on the front. Most put disc brakes in back for better braking. Or they upgrade to a Ford D60 which has MUCH larger brakes than a stock waggy.

Hydroboost does help a lot, as would a dual diaphragm booster (if you want a simpler setup).

You can get slotted rotors though, with better pads.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

The Hydroboost will definitely make a difference!
As far as brakes go, your choices might be a bit narrow. I started a 3/4 ton brake upgrade on my 78 Cherokee and it went badly up front. In the end I used both front and rear 8-lug axles because things were different from the spindles out up front and the rear drums were already the largest I could find for the D44. To get larger drums I had to use the D60 so I just swapped the entire axles in.

For what it's worth, the front disc setup is quite good. I would think the best route, without going crazy, would be to do the hyrdoboost then decide if a rear disc conversion is called for. You might realize the brakes are very good and were just hobbled by the stock master and booster.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
Iroc313

Post by Iroc313 »

Thanks guys! I keep forgetting this truck really isn't TOO heavy compared to most larger trucks with much larger brakes. I'm going to start with hydroboost and a rear disc conversion and go from there.

miltos68wgoneer

Post by miltos68wgoneer »

I have been happy with hydroboost and the rear drums. Yet I know rear discs would be an improvement.
68 WAGONEER / 5.3l, DIY ported heads, long tube headers, lingenfelter cam, griffin rad, trans cooler, E fan /4l70e, front discs,2003 grand cherokee seats front and rear, super wagoneer center console,hydroboost.
53 CHEVY 210 stock

http://s64.photobucket.com/user/miltos6 ... t=3&page=1

pcoplin

Post by pcoplin »

Good pads go a long way, too. Black Magic pads are the best pads I've ran. Very good cold bite, and they are a race pad so overheating them will be unpossible on a Wagoneer.

Web site is kind of cheesy, but I would put money on the fact you won't find a better pad. EBC, Hawk, etc.

http://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Je ... ds_c28.htm
85 Grand Wagoneer 5.2/44RE/NP229
98 TJ 5.9/46RE/D300
97 F250 Powerstroke

Topic author
Iroc313

Post by Iroc313 »

Bold statement, I have ebcs on my regal and love them to bits. I'll check it out!

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

As a hydroboost user for eight years now I still think it's the best bang for the buck.
I will say that all your braking components need to be up to snuff, anything marginal will fail quickly.
You might have to run it upside down with an engine swap depending on where the valve covers wind up, no issues with that (mines been upside down for three years now).

But it will stop a Atlas 4 speed in Low/Low going down hill no problems even with rear drums.
Some day when the huge 14-bolt drums and shoes wear enough to be replaced I'll go disc in the rear.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

Topic author
Iroc313

Post by Iroc313 »

Thank you for the input guys! Going to have to figure it out since we aren't going with truck accessories (and the 08+ police tahoe's came with hydroboost)

I definitely want to do it though, I figure both a good pad compound as well as hydroboost will be night and day. I would just retrofit some huge brakes but we want to keep the stock appearance of the truck.

pcoplin

Post by pcoplin »

Definitely try the pads first. Then if it's not enough I'd go hydro boost. Love me some hydro boost.
85 Grand Wagoneer 5.2/44RE/NP229
98 TJ 5.9/46RE/D300
97 F250 Powerstroke