New member w/ 1978 Cherokee/EB1406/4bbl/4spd

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
SkiingNinja

New member w/ 1978 Cherokee/EB1406/4bbl/4spd

Post by SkiingNinja »

Hi, I'm Sean. I recently came into possession on a 1978 Jeep Cherokee/360/EB1406 4bbl/4 on the floor. She only has 112K on her and runs like a champ.

There is a short back story... and if it is TL;DR, you can skip to the photos 8-)

In 2000, I bought a 4Runner (last year for 5sp manual I believe). Unfortunately after only two months, I was hit from behind by a driver who was accelerating. The force was sufficient to push me up a small hill where I promptly ran into a tree. The frame was bent and that was all she wrote.

In a bit of cosmic lunacy, the insurance company paid me more for the truck than I paid for it to begin with.

I went shopping and picked up a TJ.

One day while driving down the Interstate, I realized that whenever the suspension compressed, there was a vibration and odd noise. Back then I didn't do my own wrenching so I took it in to have it looked at.

The transmission bell housing was broken in half. I had it fixed and contacted Chrysler to get it handled. They set me up for and inspection. The tech checked it out and said it won't be covered under warranty as one of the front control arms had hit the underside of the fenders. "It is obvious you jumped it" he said. I retorted with "not-uh". He said "yes you did" and that was pretty much the end of the visit (I honestly had not).

It took them a month to fix it because the new drive shift was on backorder. The final bill was $2000 for the repair and $1000 for the rental car.

Yes, I know I got screwed very badly. I lodged a complaint with Chrysler that proved fruitless.

A few months later, I was talking to a mechanic and he said he saw that issue many times and he believed it was the drive shaft was too short and thus pulling the housing apart.

Forward any number of months... I'm at a red light. On the green, I floor it. Yep, the tranny housing broke in half again. That was an interesting noise. I knew what it was immediately. The vehicle was not lifted and had stock tires. What a bunch of bullshit.

I dumped it and bought a Tacoma. Great truck. Had to sell due to financial issues.

Fast forward a decade... I have this piece of crap Saturn and its second motor ruined itself.

I tell the above story to illustrate my hatred for Jeeps :P ...until my wife finds the aforementioned '78 that is. We decided we wanted it and here we are. I can't believe I bought a freaking Jeep.

My goals for the truck are mainly daily driver type stuff. I would like to hit some trails but for now, I don't plan on significantly extending its capabilities in that area.

So far I've fabricated new inner panels and installed a new head unit and speakers.

Here she is:

The rust is strong with this one...

Yes, that is a blue towel stuffed down the quarter. Without, the exhaust from the tail right there was entering the cabin.

You can see the side panels I made in this shot:

Panel and coaxial driver:

So it came with a gun rack. Being that we don't own a gun, the wife thought umbrellas would be hilarious.

Front panel and coaxial driver:

These seat covers came with the truck though the ladies in the house don't like them - "too itchy". Do you guys know where I can get a fitted seat cover? If not, what is the part number of a set that fits well?

Put in a new head unit. I'll fancy it up once I overhaul the interior.

As I recall, this is for electric trailer brakes (yes?):

I left the factory radio in its place. The clock to the right does not work. I'll check a yard for another...

4spd hell yeah. I was so jazzed when I saw that.

Factory air. PO says it works but there is no belt so I don't know for sure. I did purchase a belt but the tensioner bolt is stuck. I used a breaker bar but it won't budge.

Came with a CB but I removed it to make room for the head unit. If I ever want it back and running, I have the unit, mic, and antenna.

I was wondering how I could mount my phone when I recalled I had this bit I wasn't using. I epoxied a mic button on the back. I then rolled up some fabric so when installed, the phone would be appropriately tilted.

It even rotates for landscape use. Naturally that is my YouTube channel on the screen... :mrgreen:

Finally, the fact that this thing has shag carpet is killer. I'm still going to replace it once I paint everything as the interior will get painted as well.

On our list for the as-near-as-I-can-afford-it-future is:

* 4-6" Lift

* 33-35" Tires

* Wheels

* EFI

* Fitted seat covers (do they exist for this?)

* New carpet

* Repair/Replace exterior body panels - looks like I need fenders, rockers, quarters, and possibly a tailgate (the PO ran his trailer into it on both sides)

* Custom paint - I'll make some custom colors, lay down some graphics and shoot the vehicle. Naturally the missus and I are fighting over the colors. She wants two-tone: Chocolate on the top and light blue on the bottom OR Orange on the top and light blue on the bottom. I. Do. Not. Want. This.

For completeness sake, previous vehicles in order:
1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme w/ Landau top & 350
1990 Geo Prizm (really a Toyota Corolla)
1992 4Runner (my favorite vehicle)
1998 Rav4 (bought this for the 1st wife)
2000 4Runner (this is the one I only had for a couple months)
2002 Jeep TJ (we don't talk about this one)
2002 Tacoma (great truck; sold it as needed cash at the time more than I needed the truck)
2002 Saturn (we don't talk about this one either)
1982 Toyota Pickup (still have this; you can see it in the above photos. A really great truck!)
1978 Jeep Cherokee (this one is still playing out...)

Well, there you go. If you made it this far, go get a beer and a sammy. I'll wait.

Sean in Fort Collins, Colorado
[Cuttently with my daughter in Colorado] 1978 Jeep Cherokee w/ 360 4bbl and 4spd
[Sigh, sold] 1982 Toyota Truck w/ 22R and 5spd

pyro

Re: New member w/ 1978 Cherokee/EB1406/4bbl/4spd

Post by pyro »

Love the manual...not very common in the wagons. Looks like you've got a welding fiasco ahead of you like most of us. Also harass Toyota pickup. I wish I had picked one up when I had the chance a few years back.
'81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
'82 Cherokee 258/TF904
'84 CJ-8 258/T176

Florida FSJ's Click Here!!!

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Great start. Its coming along nicely. :-bd
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
SkiingNinja

Post by SkiingNinja »

Yeah, I haven't welded anything in 26 years. I think I need to practice because I have a lot of work to do.

That Toyota is a great truck. Cost me $600 several years ago and has not let me down a single time.

Sean
pyro wrote:Love the manual...not very common in the wagons. Looks like you've got a welding fiasco ahead of you like most of us. Also harass Toyota pickup. I wish I had picked one up when I had the chance a few years back.
[Cuttently with my daughter in Colorado] 1978 Jeep Cherokee w/ 360 4bbl and 4spd

Topic author
SkiingNinja

Post by SkiingNinja »

Thanks!

The missus and I just agreed on a paint scheme. It is like America and Russia just agreed to disarm!

Sean
jaber wrote:Great start. Its coming along nicely. :-bd

jeep ranch

Post by jeep ranch »

sweet, a stick wagon, dont see them often. Congrats

Mars

Post by Mars »

Great jeep!
And never leave home without your towel :lol:
Jeep: making ordinary people mechanics for more than 70 years.

1981 J-10 Laredo.
http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... =15&t=1409

Topic author
SkiingNinja

Post by SkiingNinja »

I can't believe I didn't think of that!

coop923

Post by coop923 »

Looks like you're off to a great start! I'm looking at making door panels too. Are they the original panels that you recovered, or did you cut your panels out of some other material?

Topic author
SkiingNinja

Post by SkiingNinja »

coop923 wrote:Looks like you're off to a great start! I'm looking at making door panels too. Are they the original panels that you recovered, or did you cut your panels out of some other material?
The original masonite panels were rotted out at the bottom so I cut new panels from 1/4" MDF.

I also got rid of the clips and attached the panels with chromed button head screws.

coop923

Post by coop923 »

Cool! What is the material you used to cover the MDF? I was hoping to cover the panels with something that will help quiet things down a little inside.

Topic author
SkiingNinja

Post by SkiingNinja »

I laid a piece of foam over the MDF and then wrapped heavy duty fabric around to the other side and stapled it on. You can easily add Dynamat or whatever you link in the door while it is apart.

The foam and fabric was purchased at Joann.

Sean
coop923 wrote:Cool! What is the material you used to cover the MDF? I was hoping to cover the panels with something that will help quiet things down a little inside.

lycanthrope

Post by lycanthrope »

Welcome.

Lift, wheels, tires...........meh.

I like it the way it is. Congrats on the 4 speed. Good on you for not cutting on the dash for the radio. There are other options to get decent tunes in the stock dash. For the clock, any other clock that you find will prolly need repair. You can send it off to have the guts replaced, works better.

I am a big fan of the original slotted mags. Spend an afternoon with some sandpaper, a drill and mini-powerball and some polish, and they will be the nicest looking thing on your truck.
tommy

Topic author
SkiingNinja

Post by SkiingNinja »

It looks too squatty to me with the tires tucked under the body so far. I'm not going to go crazy... Just a little beefier :D

On the radio, yeah I really didn't want to take a sawzall to the dash. How I have the modern head unit under the dash is temporary until I redo the interior.

I like the wheels too. I checked a spot and you are correct; they should clean up nicely.

Thanks,

Sean
lycanthrope wrote:Welcome.

Lift, wheels, tires...........meh.

Topic author
SkiingNinja

Post by SkiingNinja »

Who fixes them? I'm fine around a schematic and soldering iron. Do you know the typical issue with these? This one powers up - just doesn't keep time...

Sean
lycanthrope wrote: For the clock, any other clock that you find will prolly need repair. You can send it off to have the guts replaced, works better..

lycanthrope

Post by lycanthrope »

You can search online. Some places will fix the original movement, or, replace the original with a quartz movement. While looking it up again, I read a how-to on DIY repairs(oldcarweekly). I might try that with a couple of my clocks. I had remembered a figure of $70, but that might have been long ago, or just the movement, or, the minimum amount.
SkiingNinja wrote:Who fixes them? I'm fine around a schematic and soldering iron. Do you know the typical issue with these? This one powers up - just doesn't keep time...

Sean
lycanthrope wrote: For the clock, any other clock that you find will prolly need repair. You can send it off to have the guts replaced, works better..
tommy