Lotta oil

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
rlars7

Lotta oil

Post by rlars7 »

Been driving the jeep every other day since the transmission rebuild. I know I am leaking oil from the valve covers, not too bad and I keep an eye on the level. Also have a cracked timing cover - small crack

Went to check the oil cold today and noticed it was very high- about an inch above full. Coolant was very low but I haven't really paid much attention to the coolant levels lately - could have been that low for sometime.

My first thought was that coolant was getting into oil through slightly cracked timing cover. Oil did not look creamy at all- looked like 10w40 should look. I filled the coolant level up to 'Add' (while engine was cold).

Decided I would drive it gently until it reached normal operating temp and see what levels may change. Got great oil pressure, as I normally do. About 50 when cold, 40 at hot under throttle, 20 while hot idle. Temp gauge stayed where it normally does.

After driving for 15 minutes, I recheck everything. Coolant was at same level as when cold. Oil was at same level as when cold. Looked like honey, again no creamy color that might suggest water in oil. Oil was very hot when checked. I could see heat radiating off dip stick and it was almost too hot to hold even with paper towel.

At this point, I will change the oil and ensure it is at a proper level. I know the tranny shop added some because they told me it was a quart low. Hard to believe that they added this much but weirder things have happened.

Any one have any advice? Any other way to check for water in oil? Based on story, does it sound like I am way over oiled but not leaking coolant? Normal for oil temp to be that hot? Thanks?
1990 Grand Wagoneer
360/727/229
Pre Runner Bumpers
Locked in the rear
250k+ miles and going strong

73 J4600/79 J10 - Sold

carnuck

Re: Lotta oil

Post by carnuck »

Maybe the trans shop put ATF in your oil?
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

racerx12003r1

Re: Lotta oil

Post by racerx12003r1 »

It could have been overfilled at the tranny shop as you was thinking or there is something else. If your fuel pump diaphram gets a hole in it, you will get gasoline in your crankcase. I speak from experience here. I had it happen on my rig a while back and a buddy of mine had it happen on a small block Chevy. Bless his heart, he lost a nice set of Edelbrock valve covers because of it. :cry: So be careful!
Daniel

1980 J10 Thunderbolt Grease slapper (formerly Beast II)