Diesel question

For everything related to converting and up keeping diesel engines in an FSJ

Topic author
MagicRat

Diesel question

Post by MagicRat »

What would one expect to pay to get diesel conversion done, a 4bt or 6bt swap, in a Grand Wagoneer? I have read these posts and marvel at the great work done by people on their own rigs but I haven't that skill set. I know it varies but even a range would be helpful.
1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
157K on bod
5.9 L Jasper V8 w/ 25K
Holley Carb

carnuck

Re: Diesel question

Post by carnuck »

$10K up, depending on $/hr costs and skills of the mechanic. Plus the drivetrain cost often. Some require tons of wiring. Others don't.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

There have been a couple guys that have had shops do theirs, but dont remember names at this moment. I know Zack at Z&M Jeeps has done it, you might ask him. :-bd
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
MagicRat

Post by MagicRat »

Thanks guys. I came across two names of places by me that specialize in them and have reached out. Will keep you posted.
1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
157K on bod
5.9 L Jasper V8 w/ 25K
Holley Carb

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

You need to figure out what motor you want or at least what you expect of it. 20 mpg HWY is common without O/D
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

tndonor

Post by tndonor »

It is not cheap if done correctly for sure. The more homework and parts sourcing you do and the less a shop has to figure out and source, it will save you. Of the conversions I have been a part of, its the small parts not the motor and trans itself that cost the most.

Another option is to buy a rig already converted so you don't take the hit of paying for it. It requires IMO the same amount of digging if this is your first venture and you can fix and tune cheaper than paying for a conversion plus sourcing the parts.
1967 Jeep M715. Cummins HX35/HT3B NV4500 203/205 Doubler. HP60/14B. OBW. OBA.
Ive done my part to jump start the economy

Mudbull

Post by Mudbull »

Not to scare you away (but hopefully to encourage you to do some of the 'easier' work yourself): It took may dad and I about 10 months to finish our project. We used the dodge frame, suspension, and drivetrain. I rebuilt the trans, moved the engine back 7" to fit the fenders. My dad did the vast majority of the body work (to start with-no rockers, floors,...), we both pieced the bed and interior pieces together, and all new wiring...

Anyways I figure on average 6-10hrs a weekend as a very, very low estimate maybe 300hrs (for one person) @ $40/hr that's $12K rite there! So if nothing else id try to find as straight and solid of a wagoneer as you can afford to start out with. Same deal with the donor-its easier and I think cheaper to find a donor you can use the whole drivetrain of instead of piecing together the engine, trans, axles, t-case, accessories... (including a frame that doesn't need to be braced and retrofitted to handle the diesels weight if a cummins, 6.2/6.5 I would use a stock reinforced wagoner frame).

Good luck, if you have any questions let me know!
68' Gladiator
p-pumped Cummins
6spd, D60 Front, D80 Rear

rwjohnstone

Post by rwjohnstone »

I found your post on CL, let me know if you end up doing this yourself, I also live in WNY, but sorry, I have my hands full with my own project. Have you decided how much you want done? Axles? Trans? restoration?
"Decide what to be and go be it." - The Avett Brothers
1964 J-200 "Alice"
1979 CJ-7 (s) - Status: Dismantled Hibernation
1981 J-10 - Status: Parts? Daily Driver? Lawn Ornament?
1993 Cherokee Sport - Status: Sold (408,000 miles)
2001 Cherokee Sport - Status: Winter DD
2001 Wrangler Sport - Status: DD