The Rebuild of Oz

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: The Rebuild of Oz

Post by Stuka »

Oh, cool idea on sticking the other gage in there.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
j20owner

Post by j20owner »

Got it from the 'mother site'. Was glad it came back yesterday so I could prowl old posts to figure out where to drill the holes for the new gauge. Still had to do a little whittling to get it completely in, but it is in. Will put the cluster in today and maybe put the column back in. We'll see.
Tatsadasayago wrote:And here i thought Capitalism was hitting the Shift Key...

Topic author
j20owner

Post by j20owner »

More progress! I hope you're watching, Joe!

Got the rear frame rails cleaned up so now I need to get serious on my measurements and get some plate cut to make new hangers.

Before:

After:

I need to run back over with a can of spray and hit it to avoid it getting flash rust. Shouldn't be bad, though, since it's been so dry around here. Just forgot to grab the can when I left the house.
Last edited by j20owner on Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bassntruck

Post by bassntruck »

You are making me look bad. I have not had a chance to touch the ARO. I am currently replacing all the doors, windows, and siding on my house. I am about half done and need to finish it up before winter. Then I need to finish my fathers van. Then I have $3k worth of suspension parts sitting here for the wife's BMW I need to put on. Then have to finish welding up the trailer I am building so I can get it blasted then paint it. Then, just maybe, if I am lucky, I can get work on the ARO.

Story of my life.

hutcho

Post by hutcho »

bassntruck wrote:You are making me look bad. I have not had a chance to touch the ARO. I am currently replacing all the doors, windows, and siding on my house. I am about half done and need to finish it up before winter. Then I need to finish my fathers van. Then I have $3k worth of suspension parts sitting here for the wife's BMW I need to put on. Then have to finish welding up the trailer I am building so I can get it blasted then paint it. Then, just maybe, if I am lucky, I can get work on the ARO.

Story of my life.
Hey sounds like mine too!

Good to see this project is taking off, always motivating to see a build thread getting somewhere!

Sent from my Motorola Atrix 4G

hutcho

Post by hutcho »

bassntruck wrote:You are making me look bad. I have not had a chance to touch the ARO. I am currently replacing all the doors, windows, and siding on my house. I am about half done and need to finish it up before winter. Then I need to finish my fathers van. Then I have $3k worth of suspension parts sitting here for the wife's BMW I need to put on. Then have to finish welding up the trailer I am building so I can get it blasted then paint it. Then, just maybe, if I am lucky, I can get work on the ARO.

Story of my life.
Hey sounds like mine too!

Good to see this project is taking off, always motivating to see a build thread getting somewhere!

Topic author
j20owner

Post by j20owner »

More progress today, hopefully more this week. Got the new rear spring mounts made. Let me know what you guys think:
I hope to get the Jeep back on it's axles and off stands sometime this week, at least for 15 minutes or so. Then I'm going to take the front axle apart in preparation for cleaning and rebuilding as needed. Going to get it down to the inner C's and get the right knuckle flat-top machined. Then start work on rebuilding the brakes. Also hope to have my engine by this time next week, but I'm not holding my breath.
Last edited by j20owner on Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

hutcho

Post by hutcho »

Are those for a shackle flip? Did you build them yourself?

Topic author
j20owner

Post by j20owner »

Yes and yes. I'm using a GM 14 bolt and didn't want to move the perches on the axle. I have two and wasn't sure which one I was going to use. Turns out I'm going to use the 'other' one. I'm moving the springs in from the stock location on the jeep to match the axle perches. Maybe more work, but it's what I wanted to do since the shackle buckets had already been modified and I wanted to do it differently. I'm also going to lower the front mounting point of the rear springs. Hopefully it'll all work out. We'll see. Oh, I'm also using gm 56" springs instead of Jeep springs. It'll be able to haul about a cord and a half of wood. 8-}

hutcho

Post by hutcho »

Cool I see, I got a 14 bolt to go under mine too and want to go with a shackle flip(block right now) but hate to shell out cash for something I know I can build. Did you design them yourself or is there somewhere you can get a print or something for them?

Topic author
j20owner

Post by j20owner »

I designed these. They are for a waggy. If you're putting a 14 bolt in a truck, the spring perches line up under the frame rails. No need for an off set mount like this.

hutcho

Post by hutcho »

j20owner wrote:I designed these. They are for a waggy. If you're putting a 14 bolt in a truck, the spring perches line up under the frame rails. No need for an off set mount like this.
Cool I gotcha...probably just fork over the cash and get some from tad

hutcho

Post by hutcho »

j20owner wrote:Got the cluster put together. Sunpro volt gauge put in, a little off center, but oh well. One more piece of the puzzle. Think I'll do some more grinding on the frame tomorrow morning.
Got any more details on installing that? Looks really good and factory.

Topic author
j20owner

Post by j20owner »

hutcho wrote:
j20owner wrote:I designed these. They are for a waggy. If you're putting a 14 bolt in a truck, the spring perches line up under the frame rails. No need for an off set mount like this.
Cool I gotcha...probably just fork over the cash and get some from tad

Like I said, if you're doing it to a truck, you can just inboard the springs and place them under the frame rails. No need to do a 'shackle flip'. I have a couple of threads subscribed on ifjsa that detail this project. If you're doing it to a waggy, these or Tad's will work. If you want to move the perches, these or Tad's will work.

If you want the specs for these, I'll give them to you. Measurements might not be the same if your spring perches are different or if you are putting them on a truck. Heck, I had a measurement wrong when I started today and ended up cutting one piece of each side twice. Ended up with some extra scrap, but had enough material to get them done.

I put a drawing of these on page 2. I drew it with Sketchup, a free 3D drawing program. Has a pretty steep learning curve, but I was able to get this visualized before cutting any steel. I think that made it much easier for me to make them.

Here's a thread from ifsja on inboarding springs for 14 bolts in trucks:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=60158

Here's one on the voltmeter swap for the cluster:
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=17510
There are a few more of each, but those should get you started. A local Autozone had the volt gauge in stock, $15.21 if memory serves.

hutcho

Post by hutcho »

Awesome thanks a lot! Never thought of inboarding for some reason I was thinking the shackle flip was the only way. I will go check those threads out here in a bit. I am familiar with sketchup, definitely has a learning curve to it but I can make my way around it now. Ill have to check that drawing out too, once again thanks for all your help! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your progress!

Topic author
j20owner

Post by j20owner »

So am I!!

Topic author
j20owner

Post by j20owner »

Did some more work tonight. I drilled two holes in the frame to lower the front of the rear springs. I also repurposed some of the old spring mount material and welded lock nuts to them. These are now the inner nut/plate for the front spring bolt. Going to clean everything up and paint it, including the frame.

I also did some more smoothing on the rear mounts and painted them tonight. Hope to get them on Wednesday night. Busy tomorrow.
Last edited by j20owner on Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
j20owner

Post by j20owner »

Here's a pic of the rear mounts painted. I'm out of paint.

Last edited by j20owner on Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
j20owner

Post by j20owner »

Plans kind of got buggered up this week, so I didn't get the rear springs mounted up. Hopefully going to go help a buddy put a 6.6l dmax in a topkick and pick up my 5.3.

Topic author
j20owner

Post by j20owner »

Oz has a heart! Now it needs rebuilt, reassembled, and put in.
Last edited by j20owner on Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.