An introduction

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Jeremiah

An introduction

Post by Jeremiah »

Hello all. My name is Jeremiah. I live in Aiken, SC; but have live all up and down the eastern seaboard. I'm 31, married a great lady and have a perfect 3 yr old little angel. I've been in the restoration and collision biz since I was 13. I've since earned a bachelors in history, but still work as a collision tech. I've been interested in Wagoneers for some time but maybe within the past year really tried to obtain one. It looks as though I've struck a deal with a very nice older gentleman. He has two waggys. A very rusty (but very complete) 90 and an 87. The deal is $1200 for both but when I'm done taking what I need off the 90, I'm to give it back so he can get scrap value. Both have been sitting for quite some time, but everything is there to make a great truck. Most importantly he's allowing me to pay him gradually due to my limited funds! My plan is completely tear down the 87 and rebuild. I want a stock appearing truck, but with 5.3 ls1 power. My budget is limited at best and I imagine it will take some time but, and this is an important but, I'm on the ball field! I've been avidly reading this and I the forums recently and have learned quite a bit so here we go....

GentleRF

Re: An introduction

Post by GentleRF »

Welcome aboard!

So, you want LS1 power? As most everyone else here, I have the older technology 360 CID AMC engine in my Grand Wagoneer. I don't have it lifted, the SelecTrac needs help, and the water pump needs to finish being replaced. I like the engine since it has (when running) enough power for my needs. If the gent you're getting the waggys from is taking payments, that tells me you won't be getting the LS1 anytime soon. I would concentrate on making that 360 as reliable as your finances permit first. That will be a learning experience all on its own.
Rick in East Bremerton

A little Asperger's goes a long ways.

Make beer, not war.

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Welcome to the madness and great find one your deal.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

Topic author
Jeremiah

Post by Jeremiah »

GentleRF wrote:Welcome aboard!

So, you want LS1 power? As most everyone else here, I have the older technology 360 CID AMC engine in my Grand Wagoneer. I don't have it lifted, the SelecTrac needs help, and the water pump needs to finish being replaced. I like the engine since it has (when running) enough power for my needs. If the gent you're getting the waggys from is taking payments, that tells me you won't be getting the LS1 anytime soon. I would concentrate on making that 360 as reliable as your finances permit first. That will be a learning experience all on its own.

First thank you for the reply and welcome. Your very correct on the long time frame. My goal is to build a reliable truck on a very limited budget. I am leaning towards the ls1 at least partially due to the availability of good motors in the junkyard for realativly cheap (around $550 here in sc) now I guess I need to see what added expenses this will incur -- wiring, adapters etc. Also, the drivetrain in the jeeps I'm buying are both junk-- well at least in the sense that they need completely rebuilt. But still a valid option--- but it would be neat to keep it original too. Can you tell I still don't have a clue as to where this is going?? :) seriously, thank you for the input and please keep it coming as this progresses!!

GentleRF

Post by GentleRF »

I will and others will chime in as things progress. If both engines need help, I would look at check which one has the best compression and put that in the '87. Transmission-wise, check to see which one has the least burnt smelling fluid on the dipstick. Once those issues are dealt with, get a tuneup going then see how it drives.

That's it for now.
Rick in East Bremerton

A little Asperger's goes a long ways.

Make beer, not war.

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Welcome Good luck with the project.
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Welcome to the network...Image

Cant wait to see this one resurrected... :-bd
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

Jeremiah wrote:... have a perfect 3 yr old little angel. ...
I don't know guys, I don't trust him...3 yr old perfect angel? May as well have said he found bigfoot.

:D

All joking aside, welcome to the forum! I have a 3yr old daughter and 5 and 13yr old sons. Also have a 1 yr old girl my wife nanny's on 24 hour shifts (parents are firefighters) and a 4 year old girl at our house 3 days a week. 5yr old is the only non-moody one. LOL. But sounds like you got a great deal and I hope you start a build thread with your research on what's needed for the LS1 upgrade. I know there's a lot of info out there, but a current thread on it would be super helpful!
1990 GW "saved by Jerry" edition
will e wrote:I guess life is better if you are not moving too fast.

rstep

Post by rstep »

Welcome , lets get pic's up we like pictures.
1977 Cherokee Sold
I Don't own One
Stuff I Make.
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5620