Random Orbit Sander

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
jongreve

Random Orbit Sander

Post by jongreve »

Before I embarked on my Jeep journey I figured I would need a sander to remove the existing camo paint.

I didn't want to spend a ton of money, but there is an awful lot of body on a FSJ and I didn't want to end up having to buy two or three of them before the project was done.

I fretted about it for awhile before deciding on a Porter Cable 382-5" random orbit for $50 from Amazon, and I've been quite pleased with it.

I haven't attached the dust collector to it, so I don't know how well that works, but it doesn't look promising.

Adhesive backed paper is available to me (from work) and this sander has a hook and loop pad, I simply put a sheet of 1500 grit hook and loop on the pad and stick whichever grit of the adhesive backed stuff to that (mostly 80-200 grit). I've changed sandpaper 20 times or so while still using that same sheet of 1500 to stick to.

I'm 90% done sanding off all the old paint on the body and this Porter Cable 382 is still performing very nicely. I've never spent much time using sanders, so I'm sure my opinion isn't worth much, and I'm sure there are better units to be had, but I am extremely pleased with this one and have zero regrets on spending $50 for it.
1976 Cherokee "S" 401

Mdcptman

Re: Random Orbit Sander

Post by Mdcptman »

Thanks for that info. I was talked into a random orbiter by the guy at home depot for a big cabinet project I was working on. It has been the best sander I've ever used. It removes more material faster and gives a great surface with less paper use.
88 Grand Wagoneer
360/727/208
Edelbrock 2131, non-EGR
Holley 600
Hydroboost
Hedman headers
Dual exhaust
MSD 6A
TFI conversion
Rusty's 2" Add-a-Leaf kit
31 x 10.5 LT15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority Tires
S-10 Steering Box Mod

Quote From Friend's Mom:
"You don't rely on that vehicle do you?"

TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

jongreve wrote:Adhesive backed paper is available to me (from work) and this sander has a hook and loop pad, I simply put a sheet of 1500 grit hook and loop on the pad and stick whichever grit of the adhesive backed stuff to that (mostly 80-200 grit). I've changed sandpaper 20 times or so while still using that same sheet of 1500 to stick to.
This right here was worth the read. That's a great idea!
1990 GW "saved by Jerry" edition
will e wrote:I guess life is better if you are not moving too fast.

Mdcptman

Post by Mdcptman »

I've never used a DA sander, how does it compare to Random orbital?
88 Grand Wagoneer
360/727/208
Edelbrock 2131, non-EGR
Holley 600
Hydroboost
Hedman headers
Dual exhaust
MSD 6A
TFI conversion
Rusty's 2" Add-a-Leaf kit
31 x 10.5 LT15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority Tires
S-10 Steering Box Mod

Quote From Friend's Mom:
"You don't rely on that vehicle do you?"

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Mdcptman wrote:I've never used a DA sander, how does it compare to Random orbital?
They are for all practical purposes identical. I was going to say that I think my pneumatics say "RO" and my electrics say "DA", but I've got that backwards. My skil is RO and my Astro is DA. I pick them up and spin the head and they both spin and orbit the same. My guess is it's two words for the same thing, just like pipe wrench vs. Monkey wrench, or "E-Z Out" vs. "G*$$#%% M*+#$&^@<>$*".
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

BGW

Post by BGW »

REDONE wrote:
Mdcptman wrote:I've never used a DA sander, how does it compare to Random orbital?
or "E-Z Out" vs. "G*$$#%% M*+#$&^@<>$*".
:funnypost:

I think there are slight differences in how the counterweights are attached, etc, but I've mostly noticed that between electric and pneumatic sanders.
1991 GWag, 98K, Silver Star Metallic, Cordovan interior

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

exactly the same
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

Topic author
jongreve

Post by jongreve »

TUDrewser wrote:
jongreve wrote:Adhesive backed paper is available to me (from work) and this sander has a hook and loop pad, I simply put a sheet of 1500 grit hook and loop on the pad and stick whichever grit of the adhesive backed stuff to that (mostly 80-200 grit). I've changed sandpaper 20 times or so while still using that same sheet of 1500 to stick to.
This right here was worth the read. That's a great idea!
I've taken an awful lot from this board, though my skills and experience are limited, it pleases me that I have at least given back a little.

I did try several, more involved, ideas on getting the adhesive backed stuff to work on the equipment that I purchased, mostly failures (I work in an engineering department, and we all know engineers, stereotypically, are good at finding hard ways to accomplish easy tasks), in the end I just told myself "F- it, let's see what happens with this", it ended up working out, and part of my motive for the post was to share that.

Thank you.
1976 Cherokee "S" 401

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

jongreve wrote: I'm 90% done sanding off all the old paint on the body and this Porter Cable 382 is still performing very nicely. I've never spent much time using sanders, so I'm sure my opinion isn't worth much, and I'm sure there are better units to be had, but I am extremely pleased with this one and have zero regrets on spending $50 for it.
How deep did you go, to metal or just down to the primer? How much time you have in it?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

DA sanders have a lock that prevents the orbiting, changing it to a normal disc sander hence the dual action: random orbital or spinning.

On the other hand I've read that the dual action refers to the combined spinning and orbiting but that's what a RO does so why a different name?

I therefore buy the first description.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

SJTD wrote:
DA sanders have a lock that prevents the orbiting, changing it to a normal disc sander hence the dual action: random orbital or spinning.

On the other hand I've read that the dual action refers to the combined spinning and orbiting but that's what a RO does so why a different name?

I therefore buy the first description.
I guess it does depend on what you buy because it was a different name given by manufacturers that can cause this type of confusion.

Interesting. I've used a ton of DA sanders & never seen this lock out feature. Random orbital & Dual Action mean the same thing.
It does not mean they don't exist but I've just never seen one. There's lot's of things I haven't seen.
I have a drill that works as a regular drill & a hammer drill but it is not called a dual action drill.

Channel locks Slip joint pliers
Monkey wrench Pipe wrench
Crescent wrench Adjustable wrench
Allen wrench Hex wrench
8lb sledge Maul
Punch Awl scribe
Concrete impact drill Hammer drill Rotary hammer

WIP

MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch

yjsquareguy

Post by yjsquareguy »

There is a little education in the show, each and and every evening.

Rob Fischer
Director of Membership
Rob.fischer@matanzasjeepclub.com
1989 Grand Wagoneer AMC 360
2007 JK 2dr Rubicon. 3.8L
2005 Grand Cherokee.
Rob
rob.fischer@matanzasjeepclub.com

2007 JK Rubicon
2005 Grand Cherokee 5.7L
1989 Grand Wagoneer

whsii

Post by whsii »

I also have used a Porter Cable random orbit, on stripping and finishing paint on my Project with great success.

I agree with most of the comments above, but I must comment on one.

The shop teacher in me...

A pipe wrench has curved jaws with teeth.

A monkey wrench is the same frame with smooth straight jaws.

Sorry, I just had to...

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

whsii wrote:The shop teacher in me...

A pipe wrench has curved jaws with teeth.

A monkey wrench is the same frame with smooth straight jaws.

Sorry, I just had to...
LMAO, so that means the pipe wrenches I got from Harbor Freight with the straight and cheap, strip the teeth off on first use, jaws are actually Monkey wrenches. Now thats fitting... :banghead:
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

You know I agree but in the convoluted scheme of things they are generally called Monkey But I stand corrected the monkey was a very crappy adjustable wrench but not a crescent wrench. The geography also has a lot to do with what tools are called. The south is much more laxed.

We all know monkey wrenches are the precursor to the Pipe wrench. You use it to round off the corners so you can use the pipe wrench to finish the job. Then you can get a saw & cut it off.

For that would you use a Jig saw , a scroll saw, a reciprocating saw or a Sawzall ? :banghead:

WIP

MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

serehill wrote:For that would you use a Jig saw , a scroll saw, a reciprocating saw or a Sawzall ? :banghead:
Cutt'n torch... :evil:
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

jaber wrote:
serehill wrote:For that would you use a Jig saw , a scroll saw, a reciprocating saw or a Sawzall ? :banghead:
Cutt'n torch... :evil:
Also known as the "blue wrench" in my shop. ;)
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
jongreve

Post by jongreve »

SJTD wrote:
jongreve wrote: I'm 90% done sanding off all the old paint on the body and this Porter Cable 382 is still performing very nicely. I've never spent much time using sanders, so I'm sure my opinion isn't worth much, and I'm sure there are better units to be had, but I am extremely pleased with this one and have zero regrets on spending $50 for it.
How deep did you go, to metal or just down to the primer? How much time you have in it?
My first foray was on the roof and at the time I thought it best to take everything down to bare metal. I later regretted this notion (though it probably is the best), because I was causing gouging (most likely due to improper technique and enthusiasm?). Now I just kinda go by feel, if the material doesn't want to be sanded out completely, then I allow it to reside simply for the fact that it is that much less body work that I have to do. If the existing material it easy to remove and/or is pitted with what appears to be air bubbles, then it has to go.

I have zero experience with what I am currently trying to accomplish, this is my answer to a question, and it could very possibly be the wrong way to go about it, but for the moment it is producing satisfactory (to me) results
1976 Cherokee "S" 401