Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) Battery

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Locked and Loaded

Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) Battery

Post by Locked and Loaded »

My Duralast Yellow top died. Went tp Autoshack and picked up a Duralast Platinum AGM battery. Thought I'd try it. Have any of you? Just wondering if I made the right choice.
Drink more Water

letank

Re: Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) Battery

Post by letank »

Used it in motorcycle. They are not good if your alternator is giving over 14.5volts according to the expert.... the AGM does not like high voltage, I am in the 14.8 volts for over 1500 miles and it is still good.
The best part is that they retain their power for quite some time, after sitting for 1 month it still reads 13 volts.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

Won't run anything else in my bikes. They're reliability is amazing. They'll overwinter without being charged. They put out a lot more consistent current than standard lead acid batteries.

If you can get a decent quality one I would definitely take it over a standard battery.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Mars

Post by Mars »

Always fussed with the lead/acid batteries in my bikes every spring. Then tried a dekka AGM and used it for 5 years without issue.

If they are half as reliable in a car as they are in a bike, I wouldn't hesitate.
Jeep: making ordinary people mechanics for more than 70 years.

1981 J-10 Laredo.
http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... =15&t=1409

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Theyre good and the replacement warranty is the biggest concern. That's why I wont buy a Optima. Optima only has a 24 month replacement warranty. Sears Die Hard seem to have the best deals until I saw what Sam's Club was offering. Sams has several AGMs and offers a 36 month replacement and for $169 ($40 less than Sears).

bwwhaler

Post by bwwhaler »

I have bought two Sams Duracell AGM Dual purpose batteries, one for my waggy and one for my wife's Tahoe, they have been great performers so far. I like no gassing and corrosion on the cables, etc... I will see how life works out, but they have a decent warranty with them so they must be pretty decent.
1987 GW 360/727/229 Performer intake Holley 670 32's 4" BJ's Springs CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

bwwhaler wrote:I have bought two Sams Duracell AGM Dual purpose batteries, one for my waggy and one for my wife's Tahoe, they have been great performers so far. I like no gassing and corrosion on the cables, etc... I will see how life works out, but they have a decent warranty with them so they must be pretty decent.
Did you buy the marine deep cycle or did purchase the automotive and is there any benefit between one and the other (recovery after being drained)

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

I had the blue top cranking battery (Marine) in my '73 J4000 for 10 years. Jumpstarting, etc and they only thing that killed it was a neighbor borrowing it and leaving it for 3 days in a car with a battery drain.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

bwwhaler

Post by bwwhaler »

rocklaurence wrote:
bwwhaler wrote:I have bought two Sams Duracell AGM Dual purpose batteries, one for my waggy and one for my wife's Tahoe, they have been great performers so far. I like no gassing and corrosion on the cables, etc... I will see how life works out, but they have a decent warranty with them so they must be pretty decent.
Did you buy the marine deep cycle or did purchase the automotive and is there any benefit between one and the other (recovery after being drained)
I bought the "dual purpose" battery, whatever that means, I did fully discharge it a couple of times in my waggy when the kids stuck the passenger seat control ( those things draw some juice). I can't really tell any difference so far. Like I said, I really like no gassing or water replacement. I put one in my waggy because I don't drive it too much and I wanted to be able to listen to the radio for hours without too much discharge. The Tahoe got it because it sits most of the time. It only gets driven a couple times a month... I even had to put a solar panel in it to keep some charge on it and to counteract the normal discharge from the computer and stuff.
1987 GW 360/727/229 Performer intake Holley 670 32's 4" BJ's Springs CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness