axle re-gear ?

For everything related to converting and up keeping diesel engines in an FSJ

Topic author
surfwagoneer

Re: axle re-gear ?

Post by surfwagoneer »

Blake wrote:I would recommend getting a plain old 14 bolt if you are looking to swap axles. Cheap and MUCH easier to setup the gears than a Dana axle. You have to get the crush sleeve eliminator kit in order to make it easier though. 70 bucks.

but most 14 bolts will have 4:10's anyway :)
how about the 14 bolt above? I'm assuming that it is a posi traction and not a full locker?
89 GW- Rebuilt 360 w RV camshaft, 4 inch Rustys spring lift, 1" body lift, dana 44HD front, 14 bolt rear 3.73's.
78 Cherokee Chief- work in progress

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

surfwagoneer wrote:
Blake wrote:I would recommend getting a plain old 14 bolt if you are looking to swap axles. Cheap and MUCH easier to setup the gears than a Dana axle. You have to get the crush sleeve eliminator kit in order to make it easier though. 70 bucks.

but most 14 bolts will have 4:10's anyway :)
how about the 14 bolt above? I'm assuming that it is a posi traction and not a full locker?
"Posi Traction" is a trade mark for GM's factory lockers and limited slips. It could be one of several designs depending on the year. Assuming its the factory setup.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Resbum

Post by Resbum »

When I calculated everything for my build this is what I came up with using 4.11:1 gears and 35" tires. It's what I went with.

I did some fuel pump work and have usable power to 2800rpm and never plan on cruising faster than 70 or 75mph.
It also gives really nice shift points around 2200rpm.
Originally Posted by Resbum
"What year is my truck?... Which part?" Build thread- http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 290#p18290

Topic author
surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

Resbum wrote:.
When I calculated everything for my build this is what I came up with using 4.11:1 gears and 35" tires. It's what I went with.

I did some fuel pump work and have usable power to 2800rpm and never plan on cruising faster than 70 or 75mph.
It also gives really nice shift points around 2200rpm.
That looks pretty good. I'll definitely be taking every bit of info I can get from your build and the others on here when I get to mine. It's gonna be a few years till I get to the 4bt but I don't want to have to re-gear all over again when I do, so gotta get it right now!
89 GW- Rebuilt 360 w RV camshaft, 4 inch Rustys spring lift, 1" body lift, dana 44HD front, 14 bolt rear 3.73's.

JeepinPete

Post by JeepinPete »

Another option would be to keep your 2.73 gears and run a SM465. A direct drive top cog is more efficient than an overdrive gear since you are not putting any power through the gears of the transmission. Probably only worth a couple %, but it is real. A SM465 is a lot easier to find cheap, and came behind the 4BT in many applications.
Pete

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ :D
Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

JeepinPete wrote:A SM465 is a lot easier to find cheap...
And horrible to drive. lol No doubt the old 4 speeds are bullet proof, and a lot of people really like them. Be REAL sure you like driving a dump truck, though, as that's the feel you'll get. This thing is never going to be a sports car, but it's going to be a real chore driving it with a granny 4 speed in there. With 2.73s and 35s (which will actually be a pretty strong combo, beef wise) you will pretty much have to use first gear, which is going to top out real quick. So plan on two shifts right away anytime you take off.

Not trying to dissuade you from the SM465, it was a great trans in its day. Just be aware of what you're getting into before you go that route. If you can find an SM465 truck to drive around before you commit to something like that, so much the better.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Topic author
surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

Thanks for the advice guys. Lots to think about but a lot of time to do it in. Unfortunately it going to be a while before I get a 4bt but no better time to start planning then now. Never know when I'll find a great deal