Instrument panel

Area for post regarding Jeeps other than an FSJ. This area may contain technical post regarding those vehicles as well.

Topic author
Shagoneer

Instrument panel

Post by Shagoneer »

Ok can someone tell me if I have bad luck or if jeeps just have bad instrument panel lights? I test drove 3 brand new Wranglers a few months ago and none had working instrument panel lights, I test drove 2 2010 Liberty's and both had instrument panel lights. My Waggys dont work, my uncles waggy didnt have them, my friends 2004 Cherokee has bad instrument lights, and his father in laws 2006 Wrangler has bad instrument lights. Are we cursed or is this normal?
In the market for a new FSJ

Brizio

Re: Instrument panel

Post by Brizio »

It is possible that if the Wranglers are new, they disconnect the instrument panel, so no miles goes up? I remember years ago I test drove a new car and nothing was working on the instrument panel, a that was the reason, so they can sell it with 0miles. :)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

You certainly seem to have bad luck :P

What did the dealer say about the new JK's not having working lights? I do not think it is a common issue as nothing has ever shown up on the forums about it. It is possible the dimmer was turned down all the way. You can turn it down far enough to where unless it is VERY dark, you cannot see any light.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

They told me that there must be a bad fuse....in multiple brand new jeeps...
We checked all the dimmers and turned them hoth directions and nothing ever happened.
In the market for a new FSJ

lindel

Post by lindel »

Sounds like a dealer to stay away from.
Lindel

Mars

Post by Mars »

lindel wrote:Sounds like a dealer to stay away from.
x2
Jeep: making ordinary people mechanics for more than 70 years.

1981 J-10 Laredo.
http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... =15&t=1409

10bear28306

Post by 10bear28306 »

I can't speak to your specific cases but I do know in some of the older FSJ's that the bulbs burn out and sometimes the socket for the bulbs can be the wrong size for the specific opening on the circuit board behind the gauge cluster (on the back of cluster). I haven't driven anything newer than '81 but I would start there. If you find you have incorrect or missing bulb sockets they are readily available on e(vil)bay and other web sites. You might have to pull the instrument cluster to make sure you are getting the right parts. while it is out you can meter the individual sockets ports on the circuit board to verify proper voltage. If they are all not working then you will need to test the wire harness and trace it back to the switch and possibly the fuse panel. First things first though I would go to the fuse/power distribution panel under dash and/or hood and check the fuse for the instrument cluster or interior lights. Good luck.
1966 Wagoneer (in middle of restoration). Original 327 ci Vigilante motor, Carolina Blue exterior, medium blue interior, 4" lift springs, digital dash gauge cluster, poly tank (21 gal.), 31X10 BF Goodrich, otherwise stock.