Mechanical oil pressure gauge

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Platysma

Mechanical oil pressure gauge

Post by Platysma »

Can anyone show me how you install a mechanical oil pressure gauge on an amc 360? Where do you put the pressure line? My stock gauge is not working, and I'd like to install a mechanical gauge as a replacement if possible.

Thanks

tgreese

Re: Mechanical oil pressure gauge

Post by tgreese »

Welcome from Boston.

Is this you? https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-kic ... sure-gauge

Same topic... might be helpful. If it is you, what is missing from that thread?

If you find a gauge style and brand that you like, the installation instructions should be online for you to read. For example, Stewart-Warner: https://www.stewartwarner.com/installation-support/
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

since the cluster guage isnt working as you state , i would remove the oil pressure sender located by the oil filter and use the as your source point,question did you replace the sender, they fail in 2 ways they either show zero pressure or full pressure also is the connection at the sender good, if those have been accomplished, again i would remove the sender and use that as the source point

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

More likely the sender is bad than the gauge. The TSM covers testing of the gauges.

TSM.png

JMO - if the factory gauge works, you don't need an additional gauge. The factory electric gauge is slow to respond, but if you lose oil pressure you will know it. The lifters will be very noisy... clackity clackity clack. An analog mechanical gauge is more of a repair/diagnosis tool than a dashboard everyday necessity.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Harry Dawg

Post by Harry Dawg »

Install is pretty straight forward, should you go this route.

Remove the factory sending unit, and thread the flare nut for the line into this hole. The other end can be fed into the cab and will attach to the gauge

Dorman sells a kit with all of the adapters, so this would be a good option.

I would also advise using a copper line instead of the plastic one, as I actually caught a truck on fire when the plastic oil line fell onto the header... Lessons learned lol.
1968 J3500 - 1985 CJ7 - 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Liter Limited - 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited
Rhino USA Brand Success Manager
South East Offroad Activist