Poly tank and sender options?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
TrenchFoot

Poly tank and sender options?

Post by TrenchFoot »

I'm in the market for a new poly tank as part of my diesel swap. I'm interested in cobbling the best set of parts together for it. I have a 78 wagon, only the quadratrac and driveshafts will remain stock.

I'll be replumbing the filler line to accommodate the diesel-sized gas pump nozzle and to avoid issues with foaming. It looks like the 70-77 tank has a larger intake. Would my sender and pickup swap over and would the early tank mount up clean in a 78? Any other significant changes between the early and later tanks?

The other area I might get to upgrade the system is with a low level fuel light. Did Jeep ever put one in a FSJ and if so, would that sender work in the early tanks?

Any other advice for putting together the best mismatch of tank parts? I'll be using an external, electric Airtex pump but would go in-tank if anyone has a line on a diesel-compatible one that would work in our tanks.
'78 Waggy: 401/QT pulling the rust down the road. 6.2L +turbo waiting in the wings.

billygoat

Re: Poly tank and sender options?

Post by billygoat »

Call MTS, he builds the sending units, so he should be able to make the unit you need to fit the tank and have the correct ohms for your gauge.
http://www.mtscompany.com/

He might have some insite on a pump too.