ntsqd's '71 Wagon

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

devildog80

Re: ntsqd's '71 Wagon

Post by devildog80 »

Let those tubes hang out like that, as you will get a tic of cooling with them too. Unless you wanted to run them back & forth across in the open area to the right, directly in front of the radiator? Personally would have a larger cooling coil, that would mount across on each side of the core support, instead of just one side......but just my $.02.
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

Topic author
ntsqd
Vendor

Post by ntsqd »

I don't like them hanging out in space so much. They don't look very tidy and I know what vibration will do to them in the long run. That's a disaster I want to avoid. It's too danged much work to get the grill off to get to them. If I can map out how, I'd like to run them a little tighter to the cooler and support structure so that I can use Adel clamps or something to snub any vibration. I am using dead soft AL tubing for these systems exactly for the added cooling benefit. Because of the planned re-power I've decided to run the trans cooler tubes on the frame rail rather than along the engine and trans so that I only need to make new hoses that jump from the trans to the frame. I'll be making those tubes from the same tubing for the added cooling benefit.

Can't really see it in the pic, but I rolled a bead, like race car AL interior panel beads, in the lower leg of the inboard mount and I am amazed at how much stiffer it made that part. First time that I've done something like that, but it won't be the last time.
thom

Where does that road go?

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

I keep saying I’m going to build lighter brackets and bead roll them and flare the edges, it’s not like I don’t have the equipment….. but time usually gets me….
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Topic author
ntsqd
Vendor

Post by ntsqd »

That is the fundamental problem. It is easy and fast to build heavy brackets. Lightweight brackets take 4X the time to design and make. If you don't get stuck in Analysis Paralysis..... If you do, then factor that by at least 3!
thom

Where does that road go?

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

Yep, use a lot of 1” 11ga strap, drill and tap screws, and 1/4-20’s. When a nice piece of .063 aluminum with some bends, rolled beads and flares would look better, be lighter. Bout the only sheet metal forming tool not in the shop is a planishing hammer, and always on the look out for one of those at the right price.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Topic author
ntsqd
Vendor

Post by ntsqd »

I've managed to find one Dana D44 4.27 ring & pinion and have another one that is supposed to be also Dana made on the way. Still a month or more out on getting them installed.
thom

Where does that road go?