Woodgrain Vinyl

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
tstanton87@gmail.com

Woodgrain Vinyl

Post by tstanton87@gmail.com »

I really want to change the vinyl wood grain on the exterior of my 90 GW. My issue is the woodgrain trim. It's in great shape and from what I've heard it's really difficult to get off intact. I know there is a trim kit sold but from what I've heard it's not great. Has anybody done the exterior vinyl without removing the trim? I know it's not going to be perfect but I don't want to get too deep into this. If I do have to remove the trim, what's the best way to keep it intact?
Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

devildog80

Re: Woodgrain Vinyl

Post by devildog80 »

As I understand it, the later model trucks used double stick tape to attach the trim, so should be easy enough to remove.
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

SlowGear

Re: Woodgrain Vinyl

Post by SlowGear »

Time consuming for sure but not too hard.
I used a sharp scraper and worked it from above and below the trim, working across the entire run. It left half the old adhesive on the trim and half on the body panel but kept the trim from getting curled and bent.
Carefully drill out the rivets and you're good to go.
I removed the adhesive from the trim with some careful application of Goof-Off and a scraper, then sanded the back of the trim with 220 so the new adhesive would bite.
Like yours, my trim is in good condition so after the careful removal and cleaning it was almost like installing new product and well worth the effort.
88 Grand Wagoneer - bone stock except the missing bits:-)