Before i break something. How do you get this nut out ?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
candymancan

Before i break something. How do you get this nut out ?

Post by candymancan »

Doing the watercpump on my 76. And its real pain it the butt compared to my 90.. have to remove the a.c and power steering.. have yet to find the last a.c bolt.. and one of the long bolts that go through the timing cover on the heater side of the pump is out.. but i cant pull it out..

The bolt in question for the thread though is the one in this pic.. do i jist loosen this ? Or is there a special way of taking it off.. i dont want to break this.. but it wont budge if i try to just losen it i feel if i keep trying harder its going to snap
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
candymancan

Re: Before i break something. How do you get this nut out ?

Post by candymancan »

Well nvm i got it to spin out.. but like that other bolt.. it came out very hard to turn. but now i cant get the bolt to pull fully out..

How do i get these out ?? There both very hard to turn and wont come out anymore
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I got em.. had to pry on them while turning them.. was very hard to do but got em out.. 50 years of gunk was holding them in very tightly.

Had to trace the threads like 0 times with the bilts and clean etc to get it back in rigjt

Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

unfortunately a few of those bolts go into the water jacket (block), and are a bugger to get out, i had to work the bolts in/out ,in/out what seemed like forever, but got them out, others you may find a bit more stubborn as they may have dissimilar metal corrosion in the aluminum (timing cover) and the attach bolt (steel.) time /metals/ moisture are not on our sides , all i can say is its gonna take time , use KROIL ( a great penetrating brand oil) , if you break one off your gonna be in for the big deep dive, you may find the water pump and timing cover housing severely corroded, i remember seeing an older post where a guy was having severe cooling issues and when he pulled the water pump there were no impeller fins left just the flat disk, although his vehicle sat dormant a very long time (not running) i was lucky to have tackled mine when i had the radiator/condensor/grill/fan and belts removed and had direct access straight in. down in from the top is a real pita , good luck and be patient,

letank

Post by letank »

Paper gaskets do not last more than 10 years... hence leaks at various spots such as bolt holes, thermostat, timing cover and water pump flanges.

I have used silicon for the thermostat and had some purple silicon on the water pump that held for over 20 years, then I had to change the water pump and one of the main bolts (such as listed above) was not even tight...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)