New member/owner

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
daryl2cb

New member/owner

Post by daryl2cb »

Hello everyone, just wanted to introduce myself, just acquired an 83 Wagoneer limited in blue. Wanted one for ever but didn't want to pay alot, finally one came up that doesn't need much and had a good interior. Suspension is little molested as its on 37's, but I figured it saved me from heavy modification to an original candidate. Will post some pics once I get better site privilege's.

I am working out the following known issues currently:
Old fuel- dropped tank ordered new vents and cleaned it and carb out
rear tail gate doesn't go up with out battery connections for intervention -dash and key switch housed
rear defrost switch is bad
passenger side windows do not work
mirror switch not working
temp gauges not working amp meter is need to get solution to eliminate that.
leaking oil pan and main seal, maybe timing cover, haven't gotten that far yet.
1983 Wagoneer Limited on 37's (I am here for this guy!!)
1989 XJ Laredo- sitting needs parted- need anything? Very nice and complete
1992 XJ Briarwood- almost done- resto full pans, cargo floor, 4 inch OME lift 33's
2003 TJ - 4 inch lift, 35's ARB's F and R, 4.88's rustfree 74K
2012 JKU 3.5 inch ome lift,1 inch body, 4.56 gears on 36's 176K
2002 Camaro SS 6 speed, cam heads, 383 garage queen 24K
2024 Wagoneer 3 blue, wifes DD
2021 Powerwagon 75th my current DD

devildog80

Re: New member/owner

Post by devildog80 »

Nice find and welcome.

See my build thread on this forum "84 Grand Wagoneer Revival"

Good to hear you went through the fuel system already. Now...go through the engine bay, and find every bolt you can on engine, fenders, firewall, grill, and snug up all of them. Electrical connectors, unplug, clean, and plug back in. Grounds, take them off, brush up nice and bright, then reattach. Check all vacuum lines that are attached, and replace what needs replaced. Spark plug wires I would recommend replacing with a new set now, as I did not when my rig came home, and fought for months and money trying to get it started. Found after my friend and I both got zapped, the plug wires were junk, and 99% of the problem.

Tailgate issues - don't count out the existing switches just yet. Found my rear window poorly performed, and found the ground on the dash switch needed cleaned. It is right behind the switch and up above the parking brake. THIS is the ground for the tailgate window. I also rehabbed my tailgate key switch, and both switches work like new now.
Go through the tailgate motor, clean out, and get some fresh lithium grease in there.
Defroster wires are on the passenger side of rear glass, and common one will be broke. Mine was the ground, but not fixed as not needed in AZ right now, and have other wiring issues more needing fixed right now.

Same with the doors, go through and open up the motors and clean/grease, which should resolve those issues. BJs Offroad has seal kits for all the doors & glass, and most of what you need to get the rig back to good condition.

https://bjsoffroad.com/login.php

I replaced my factory mirrors as I needed larger ones for towing visibility. My OEM ones I have in a box in the garage.

AMP gauge replaced too. See my build thread, or others, as it is a common upgrade.

Oil leaks, back to my first comment, go through and snug up every bolt/screw you find. Check everything over so it is safe to drive, then start driving it. Get some miles on it slowly and close to home. As you put a few miles on it, get a feel for how it runs/drives/performs, before digging in too deep to "fix" something that might not be broken. It just needs some exercise, so everything can get used to working again, and many times you find some things will resolve by just driving it.

Issues directly related to engine or transmission, check here first through your own build thread or comment on others. If really technical, I consult on the AMC forum, which has been a ton of help with my 401 engine & 727 transmission.

https://theamcforum.com/FORUM/forums.html
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

letank

Post by letank »

welcome, as for the ammeter :

viewtopic.php?t=16778

and the mirror switch, they usually are out of work and a pita to fix. Someone had a solution using 2 switches , one of each side from older jaguar.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

first thing id do is bypass the ammeter.. my 76 J10 when i got it running started smoking in the dash when i just had the key turned. seen a lot in junkyards all catch fire from the dash as well..

deff a 1st priority to me
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Re the fuel or temperature gauges, there is a flow chart for testing in the TSM. The TSM for '83 is a supplement to the '82 manual and is available from BJ's in a paper copy - https://bjsoffroad.com/1982-83-jeep-fac ... ce-manual/

I have a copy that I bought for myself, but most of the '82 TSM is online here https://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html - free to read and download.

TSM.png

The flow chart in section 1L uses a Jeep special tool ("tester") that's just a decade resistor box. You can buy something similar online, or buy individual resistors for a few cents that you can connect with clip leads.
https://www.amazon.com/Acxico-Resistanc ... B09F9LDMZ7

If you have an electronics store near you, you can buy the needed individual resistors for less than a dollar. Connect with clip leads (handy to have regardless)
https://www.amazon.com/Alligator-Electr ... ref=sr_1_3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
daryl2cb

Post by daryl2cb »

hmm, I have the test leads, but never saw that resistor box, I think that's a definite purchase.

Sounds like I am taking apart the dash next. Great info on the ground wire devildog, as my door switch on the driver side doesn't function either and I thought I saw the ground ties to that switch as well in a diagram some where. Great information to start thanks guys.
1992 XJ Briarwood- almost done- resto full pans, cargo floor, 4 inch OME lift 33's

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Get your build thread started, get some pics coming of your rig, and we can all follow/help you there.
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

will e

Post by will e »

Welcome from Phoenix!
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

seventynine

Post by seventynine »

I’ve been posting a bunch of these old write ups buried on the IFSJA site lately. Good stuff there. Regarding the tailgate:

https://www.ifsja.org/tech/tailgate/tailgate.html
Dean

'79 J10
'77 Cherokee Chief
'79 CJ-7
'79 CJ-5
'46 CJ-2A
'93 ZJ Limted
'79 Cherokee Chief (traded for the J10)
'79 Wagoneer (RIP)
'13 FLSTN Softail Deluxe

Topic author
daryl2cb

Post by daryl2cb »

The tailgate write up was great, I just printed it and am looking forward to working on getting it running properly with the switches. Luckily I got a spare tailgate with the truck, so I spent about 3 hours Sunday breaking it all down for painting and safely removing the wood moldings, so I now have a great understanding of how all of the things work inside and getting to the wiring/regulator bolts. The wiring harness was cut under the body some where, so its going to be a good visual, I will be able to use the sheath which goes through where the tail gate closes which is great cause mine is damaged. I think what I am going to do it just get this one painted and swap it out with the one I have which has a good sized ding up near the truck weather strips and possibly a bullet hole(lol). This way I can take the best parts between the two and get running. I suspect given what I have seen with taking apart the other gate, my ground connection is likely one issue inside the lower corner of the gate near the Wagoneer chromed trim.

Might as well grab the complete weather strip kit and address that at the same time from one of the vendors.

I did see a relay buried on the tail gate inner support structure, it this for the window motor, or the defrost system?

I have replaced a bottom window track on a 4 runner many years ago due to rust, Toyota used a rubber strip folded in half that seated on the bottom of the window track and the glass landed inside of this between the rubber and the window track, we used a rubber mallet to get this on, for those of you that have done this replacement, did you use the same methods? Did you apply any type of lubricant to get the window to land in the track? I didn't on the 4 runner as I thought this could cause it to pull out of the track possible on the down stroke. I would take any tips for sure in this area.

letank

Post by letank »

Our tailgate glass used to have a rubber strip... but it was easier for the window shops to put a bead of whatever silicone that they have in their store... when I did my first channel it came with the rubber strip but it was hard to believe that you had to hammer the glass, also the earlier waggys , 74 for me, had thicker glass, the newer repair kit did not match the older glass thickness, and yes I used whatever filler needed to hold the glass in the channel
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)