GW Color combos

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
midlifer

GW Color combos

Post by midlifer »

Were there specific body colors that only came with either cordovan or dark sand interior? I ask because I have a 88 GW that was originally Dover Gray and is now primered. It had a cordovan interior which I would like to change to tan (I have another parts GW that has a tan interior that I can use). I am deciding between repainting the jeep in Dover Gray (which would eliminate having to paint jambs/interior as those are still in original color) or changing to Medium Bronze.

Was Dover Gray available with a Dark Sand interior?

tgreese

Re: GW Color combos

Post by tgreese »

Kinda doubt you will find a source that describes any limits on exterior/interior color combinations for a 1988 GW. Maybe product literature (sales brochures from the showroom). Or a dealer order form from 1988. The factory parts catalog (maybe a separate catalog for interior and trim in '88?) will show the available exterior and interior colors but I doubt it will show any option limits, if there were any.

Whatever color you paint it, the VIN plate will only match the original exterior/interior color combination. Both codes are on the plate. If you are going to change the colors, suggest you pick a combo that pleases you and not worry about it.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

90wagmi

Post by 90wagmi »

The 1989 Jeep Book doesn't list any interior/exterior color combination restrictions but does state to see your dealer for the color guide.
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - true mileage unknown, 191k on the odo.

Topic author
midlifer

Post by midlifer »

Thanks for the input. Since I'm not building this for Barrett Jackson, and since the VIN plate will state cordovan interior (which is being changed) I think it will come down to budget and taste - I"ll see what the paint shop wants to do a color change including the jambs and exposed interior panels vs. just painting the outside in gray to match the inside.

Subject GW is in the attached photo. Picked it up in December down south. Body is darn near perfect and just needs to be blocked and one more coat of primer before paint.

The blue one behind it was the one I started on - frame is completely redone, LM7/4L60e installed, but when I got into the body rot I found more than I bargained for. Someone may be able to fix that body but for what I paid for the black one it isn't worth it for me. Body swap scheduled for the next 2 weekends. Once I get what I need off the blue jeep will be selling the rest. The frame from the black one is in great shape, the engine starts/runs and the truck moves and stops. Still lots of good parts on the blue body too but more to come on that in the proper forum at the proper time.
IMG_7295 (1).jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.