My first FSJ pickup - questions

Stock FSJ Tech Area

tgreese

Re: My first FSJ pickup - questions

Post by tgreese »

The locking hubs should indicate a converted Quadratrac, if the PO understands the issue. MileMarker and Warn are different brands of the same product; not an indication otherwise. However, there's a lot of positive press for locking hubs, needed or not (debatable), and the PO could have put hubs on a factory-equipped Quadratrac, unlocked the hubs and ran in e-drive all the time. Risky and zero to negligible advantage IMO, but not unheard of.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I expect the special juice for the Quadratrac won't hurt a part-time Quadratrac, it's just not needed. I would suggest putting fresh ND oil with friction modifier back into the case is less bad than putting water-contaminated anything. If you search you can find the recipe for making your own special juice. It's definitely in the '73 TSM too.

If you have a Mity-Vac, you can connect to the vacuum motor on the case and switch between free and locked, if the vacuum motor still works. There is an article linked on Flint's page that shows replacing the vacuum motor with a control cable. Seems that's a dead link now - I tried using the Wayback... possible you could retrieve the article with some additional effort, or maybe there are some additional examples at IFSJA.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Country Jeep

Post by Country Jeep »

tgreese wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:55 am The locking hubs should indicate a converted Quadratrac, if the PO understands the issue. MileMarker and Warn are different brands of the same product; not an indication otherwise. However, there's a lot of positive press for locking hubs, needed or not (debatable), and the PO could have put hubs on a factory-equipped Quadratrac, unlocked the hubs and ran in e-drive all the time. Risky and zero to negligible advantage IMO, but not unheard of.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I expect the special juice for the Quadratrac won't hurt a part-time Quadratrac, it's just not needed. I would suggest putting fresh ND oil with friction modifier back into the case is less bad than putting water-contaminated anything. If you search you can find the recipe for making your own special juice. It's definitely in the '73 TSM too.

If you have a Mity-Vac, you can connect to the vacuum motor on the case and switch between free and locked, if the vacuum motor still works. There is an article linked on Flint's page that shows replacing the vacuum motor with a control cable. Seems that's a dead link now - I tried using the Wayback... possible you could retrieve the article with some additional effort, or maybe there are some additional examples at IFSJA.
Just want to say thanks for all the help you’ve provided over the last two years, it helps a lot. Provided the QT fluid is safe for a part-time conversion, would it be alright for me to just use this? I have to place another BJs order for door and window seals, so I could add a few quarts to the cart to the appropriate amount for mine since it has low range.
'79 J10, 360, THM400, D44, PS/PDB

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

NP. Glad if I could help.

The TCL-1 will be fine, I think. That's the only pre-mixed Quadratrac juice available today, AFAIK. Seems expensive - how many quarts do you need? I'd post a separate thread here and at IFSJA asking this specific question - though I expect you may not get a specific answer. Possible you could send a PM to Flint "fulsizejeep" and ask. He's the source of the Jubilee Jeeps page and the font of all knowledge Quadratrac.

Recipes are here - https://www.bing.com/search?q=site%3Aif ... uid+recipe
30W ND Valvoline is ca $7/qt on Amazon, and a pack of friction modifier is another $10 I'd expect.
https://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-SAE-No ... 4FKAO?th=1
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=limited+slip ... _sb_noss_2
I recall my local parts store has some brand of the LSD additive on hand, maybe Sta-Lube?
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

letank

Post by letank »

if you have the part time kit, from milemarker ATF dextron is fine. I had the 74 converted in 88 or 89... at around 110Kmiles... still fine at 349Kmiles
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Country Jeep

Post by Country Jeep »

Got a correspondence back from Ryan with BJs after reaching out to JubileeJeeps when I saw that Flint hasn’t been on for a few days. Confirmed which fluid is used for which, but stated he is not sure what would happen if TCL-1 were to be used in a part-time system. May need to follow-up with the question on IFSJA as suggested, as I would ideally like to not test until I both have the right fluid (or safe fluid), and the right amount; what I managed to drain and put back in the tc was only about a single quart.

Topic author
Country Jeep

Post by Country Jeep »

Just had a thought. I’ve been looking for an excuse to get this for a while now for other projects, but would I be able to use something like this to inspect the inside of the transfer case through either the fill or drain port and confirm if it’s part-time or QuadraTrac?