Is it nornal or bad if you get some wheel binding with quadra trac

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
candymancan

Is it nornal or bad if you get some wheel binding with quadra trac

Post by candymancan »

Prettt sure it isnt normal. But im noticing the quadratrac is getting some binding when i make say a very sharp u turn. I chabged its fluid using that tcl crown stuff when i first got it. Abd it basically sat for 20 years only veing used occasionally in between. Has 85k miles.

So when i drive normally. Its fine. No pops no noises.. if i make left or right hand turns its ok. But occasionally when i make a full wheel turn if i let go of the steering wheel ( so itll come back to center) i noticed the wheel wiggles left/right. Feels like wheel skip like my 98 5.9ZJ does with its quadratrac that has a viscous coupler. Mind you even with a new viscous coupler it did this. It isnt 100% perfect i noticed.

So i know this 76s quadra trac basically is a giant viscous coupler. So if im getting this would that mean its going bad, or perhaps this crown fluid isnt up to snuff ? Ive only put about 600 miles on the Jeep.

Im wondering if this Crown TCL1 isnt good enough. Almost wonder if i should get some limited slip additive from the dealership like i do for my 98 ZJs lsd and add some to the transfercase instead and test if it goes away or not.

should note.. i hear no noises from the transfercase, no pops. grunts, whining.. just the wheel thing i mentioned
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

devildog80

Re: Is it nornal or bad if you get some wheel binding with quadra trac

Post by devildog80 »

Perhaps road surface is too hard, for front axle to slip the wheel a little, while turning. Gravel, snow, ice, will allow the front axle to work, without bucking like you describe?
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

B-W Quadratrac does not have a viscous coupling. Read Flint's page and the TSM.

I should not reply, since I expect abuse in return. Read the TSM about stick-slip and the torque bias test. Measure. You can add more friction modifier if needed.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

I mean because it's not open between the front and rear wheels I 'd expect some binding. Not a lot but some.

My friend's '17 WK2 with CV axles does it sometimes when I drive it--as long as it's not like bad bad I think it's to be expected.

You might also check and make sure it's not in emergency mode, as that will lock the front and rear together like a part time case...

I don't know about now but at least back when a lot of the IFSJA threads were about the Qtrac, the most they'd have the case last was like 50k miles and it would need rebuilt. Is it possible it's just worn out?
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Abuse for suggesting people read the manual? Nah. No more than for suggesting they do a little search of previous posts.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

It isnt his suggestions on the fsm. Its the way he goes about doing it. By making the suggestion then adding a dig/smart ass comment. Like saying im stupid for not knowing something (so basic) Like he did in his last post in the other thread. Shall i start calling everyone stupid for not knowing something ?? I mean god damn

Ive done searchs this morning before i posted.. but i have a life.. I live on 21 acres. I spent the last few weeks clearing land by hand when you do that for 10 hrs a day, you go inside shower and litterally pass out immediatly... You assume i dont search which is not true i do.. sometimes i cant find a definitive answer... so i post

. The only things i could find were doing tests on the t.c with a torque wrench . But also suggestions that tcl1 may not be up to snuff.. found multiple posts on this.

Also found various posts unreloated to mine.. lile poping.. and chirping and noises.. mine just wheel hops like a bad viscous coupler in a np249.

Ill have to go to a parking lot i suppose and do some figire 8s and stuff at full wheel lock and test it some more. If it keeps doing it ill just get some lsd additive from the dealership and add a few oz and retest

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Then you whine and post up about the choices you make and the ass-sumptions you make about other people instead of just saying "I did do some searching but couldn't find an answer".

Oh, and sorry for the comment I made not searching. Though that wasn't wholly about you I see how you took it that way.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

The additive is available at any parts store. It's the friction modifier for limited slip differentials. The '73 TSM gives a recipe of 30W non-detergent motor oil and non-slip additive at some proportion. Maybe the recipe is in the '74 book too - that's available free to read and download. I presume that recipe is what the Crown mix contains, and the official AMC mix when it was available. If you have unacceptable stick-slip, you can add a bit more modifier to make your clutches less grabby.

Or search. https://www.bing.com/search?q=site%3Aif ... uid+recipe
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Well i just did figures 8s full locked. And it did it for say 10-15 secondd. Then suddenly released. And i drove it all day today and it hasnt done it since. Maybe it was bound up from age/sitting for 22 years.

Seems fine now..

Of topic. My th400 seems to be leaking slowrly from that shifter linkage on the left aide.

So as i was checking the fluid level which was 1 pint low. The dipstick itself had a build up of shaving/black stuff on it.

I just changed the fluid in it. And it was just orange. Flushed it through the cooler line by filling/turning on.. filling turning on etc.

I used dex/merc which is what i use in my 90gw 727. Change the filter too.. which was interesting as i guess it floats on that screw. And i added a very strong magnet to the pan in a spot that wasnt in the way of anything.

I dipped and wiped off the dipstick 3/4 times and after words it became clean.. with the nornal color atf..

Do these th400s sticks hold powdery debris you know sorta like say the valve body/tubing etc whatever else does in the transmission. Drives fine.. shifts fine.. so it must just have been that but still weird. This pic is after the 2nd wipe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.