‘79 J10 Washer Bottle Wiring

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Scott2

‘79 J10 Washer Bottle Wiring

Post by Scott2 »

I’m trying to track down the wiring for my washer bottle. I have the switch, the motor, the bottle, and the wiring diagrams. I’m looking for the pink wire that should go to the washer bottle pump but can’t find one. There’s one that goes to the wiper motor. The wiring diagram shows one coming from maybe a “frame harness” or it disappears off the edge of the page.

It doesn’t make sense that the switch actuates the bottle but the pink wire doesn’t clearly go to the washer bottle. I must be missing something.

Anyone run this one down and able to offer some guidance?

Thanks!
Last edited by Scott2 on Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tgreese

Re: ‘79 J10 Washer Bottle Wiring

Post by tgreese »

The washer button is part of the factory washer/wiper switch. Look at page W-4 to locate the wiper switch at location D7. It's there. The pink wire is circuit 98 a pink 14ga wire with a trace. It goes from there to the bulkhead connector and out to the washer motor. Normally there is a diagram for the locations in the bulkhead connector showing the circuit numbers.

The frame harness has a separate connector at the exterior footboard that gathers wires from the bulkhead connector and goes rearward to the chassis connections. Not relevant here.

I don't see a clear drawing in the '79 diagram of where the penetration is in the bulkhead connector. If all else fails, you can unplug the bulkhead connector and test continuity from the pink wire #98 at the switch to the interior side of the connector. Then match that wire location to the plug and follow it to the under-hood connection for the washer motor.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Scott2

Re: ‘79 J10 Washer Bottle Wiring

Post by Scott2 »

Thanks Tim! I’ll give that a try.