83 Wagoneer Brake Pedal Rattle

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
hensonlf

83 Wagoneer Brake Pedal Rattle

Post by hensonlf »

Hey all:

Need some ideas…have a 83 Wagoneer that I’ve been working on recently…finally got it to the point of being a going to town rig…one issue that has popped up is my brake pedal likes to rattle over bumps. It has some up/down play…do these need return springs or anything like that? Trying to figure out a way to get this slop tightened up.
:banghead:
Thanks.
Levi

Srdayflyer

Re: 83 Wagoneer Brake Pedal Rattle

Post by Srdayflyer »

there is a return spring up under that mess of a dash everyone experiences

Topic author
hensonlf

Post by hensonlf »

I can’t even figure out where one would go haha! I think I may need to replace the bushing as well.

Topic author
hensonlf

Post by hensonlf »

I'm finding conflicting information on the use of a spring...a manual I have for an 82 shows a return spring but I have also read that Wagoneers with power brakes do not need them...is there any clear information around the topic? I'm probably being OCD about the pedal noise but figured it was worth trying to fix.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Pictures in service manuals are likely to be "illustrative" and not an exact rendering of your year, model and equipment.

The best information comes from the factory parts book, or another example of your Jeep from the same year, and with the same equipment. The 81J parts book covering your wagon is free to read and download on the Tom Collins site.
https://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html Figure 5-2000.

I see no spring under the dash. More likely the bushings in the pedal are worn out, PN 946177. These were service parts in the day, but unlikely you'll find them anywhere today. If that's the issue, I'd look for a pedal from a wreck or part-out that's not worn out. There is also a spacer that takes up the extra length between the pedal and the bracket. Possible you could add a spring washer on the shaft if that's worn so much the pedal rattles.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
hensonlf

Post by hensonlf »

Thanks for the info tgreese! Going to snag new bushings and some spring washers and see if I can get this tightened up a bit.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

If you replace the bushings, you could leave the bushings sitting slightly proud of the pedal. Enough to take up any end play on the shaft.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

pksjeep

Post by pksjeep »

I have a 63 j-truck, but I Imagin they are pretty much the same. If I remember correctly the return spring connects around a post on the brake pedal and hooks into a hole in the bracket that holds the brake pedal under the dash