Looking for Quadratrack Tcase. Low Range assembly

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Looking for Quadratrack Tcase. Low Range assembly

Post by rocklaurence »

I have a customer that has a Cj5 with an AWD Quadratrack transfer case--no low range. He has been building this Jeep for a while and when I went to check on him I noticed that he has a AWD case from an Eagle or other AMC car. This is not what he needs. Does anyone have a Low Range assembly or a complete Quadratrack case to sell? Im in Florida 33813 and Im the middle man. So, if you have one I can put you in contact with the guy. Let me know and Thanks in advance

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Re: Looking for Quadratrack Tcase. Low Range assembly

Post by rocklaurence »

I found a Reduction box for a Qaudratrac on Ebay but Id rather buy from this team, if possible

Mtnmax

Post by Mtnmax »

There's a th400 Quadratrac combo for sale on Denver Craig's List. I'd like to have the th400 if you don't need it.

Hooby

Post by Hooby »

I have a complete TH400 and Quadratrac combo that I removed from my 79 Cherokee Chief about 7 years ago. It's been sitting outside next to my garage under a tarp since then. I'm in the Cincinnati, OH area and have no experience with shipping things like this but if you're interested and could coach me through shipping, I think it could work for you.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

For reference, this is the low range unit for a Borg Warner 1339 QuadraTrac. When you find one, make sure it comes with the planetary gear basket and ask if the big C clip (snap ring) comes with it. It's kind of important for holding the low range on the transmission tail shaft and QT. The bypass hardware for a model 1305 (no LO) is different.

showing planetary gear basket in hand
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac/qt_ ... _large.jpg

Then there is the question: Will the low range fit under a CJ5? They were never fitted with it from AMC. I can only imagine fab work would be involved.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Hi Flint - hows the weather there? :)

Just to clarify - the CJ-5 (model 80) never came with an automatic from the factory. You'd need the automatic before you worried about the low range. The factory offered the automatic and Quadratrac in the CJ-7 (model 90) which has the longer 94" wheelbase needed to accommodate the TH400. Jeepers sometimes put the TH350 in the CJ-5, but it's shorter than the TH400 and still a tight fit. The rear driveshaft is not long enough for the added length of the TH400 without heroic and IMO impractical changes (ie move the radiator and engine forward, use a V6, live with poor articulation, etc.) Low range was offered in the CJs with Quadratrac, that is, only the CJ-7.

I kinda assumed RockLaurence was working on a CJ-7.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

tgreese wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:31 am Hi Flint - hows the weather there? :)
Pretty good, thanks. We will be breaking out foul weather gear for enduring 40 degree temps tomorrow night.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Thanks for the input guys. This is a Frankenstien build. A CJ5 with TH400/Qaudratrac and Land Cruiser offset axles. He's got a lot of money invested in the Jeep but he kinda picked parts that dont go well together and I was hoping to save him some grief by helping him locate a low range for his case. His rear drive shaft is only about 13" long and doesnt bind at Full Droop and he isnt going to do much offroading.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

He purchased a unit off Ebay

Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

well with only 13" hope something doesnt twist like a pretzel, or snap during a im not going off road trip

Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

will he have any yolk bind?

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

The driveshaft on my CJ-6 with a T-15 is about 40" long. A CJ-5 similarly equipped has a 20" shorter wheelbase giving a length of about 20". The TH400 is 17.9" OAL vs. the T-15 at 10" when accounting for the bellhousing length, so 12-13" seems about right with no major changes to engine position etc. It'll be ok if you limit axle travel and keep the shaft angle low.

I assume this is a 225 Jeep with the Dana 18 originally, with a rear axle that matches the Quadratrac offset. You might post on earlyCJ5.com and ask for some suggestions for more rear driveshaft length, if the owner is concerned. The 225 is short and possibly could be moved forward, if there were no issues with front axle interference.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Nope, its even worse. He has a Jeep straight 6 in front and the Toyota rear axle offset doesnt match.