Window regulator upgrade / other ?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
83waggie

Window regulator upgrade / other ?

Post by 83waggie »

Hello all! First time posting! I have a 83 Wagoneer That I have big plans for. I have owned it for 6 years now. Finally am getting around to showing it some love. But it needs some things for now while saving money. So 2 questions.

My driver side window regulator J piece that the track slides on is almost broken in half completely. Would it be better to just replace it with another used one or is there an upgrade that works better overall? I heard some xj s work? Or a newer style 90-91?

I also need to to the full suspension. I’m debating stock or 2 inch lift. It will mainly be a daily driver with some light trails/dirt roads (I’m in Colorado also have a goal to drive to/through all national parks). Pros / cons?

Thanks!

devildog80

Re: Window regulator upgrade / other ?

Post by devildog80 »

Get it running as is, and give it a few trips to the mountains, to see if you really need a lift. These trucks are very capable in stock form, unless you intend to traverse some rougher terrain, to get further out in the woods. You can also go up a few sizes on tires without needing a lift, which will gain you some height, without needing to pump a bunch of money into un-needed costs like new springs/shocks/shackles/u-bolts/brake lines/axle venting extensions.
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Regarding your initial topic, if you can weld, it could be repaired. The upgrade with the later model style is one many do when fixing the window tracks, as they are a better design than the plastic track style like yours and mine in my '84 GW.
There are some videos on youtube that show this swap.
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

Topic author
83waggie

Post by 83waggie »

Thanks for the reply! It runs well (for its age). I have taken a few trips already and did well. The issue is my suspension is basically shot. Shocks and springs are not doing very good. The amount of sag is terrible. Also it leans heavy to the driver side. I have new tires for it because of how off my alignment is. I didn’t want to put them on without an alignment but didn’t want to do an alignment if I was going to turn around and realign it after new suspension. Thus the rabbit hole begins.

In regards to the regulator I cannot weld so that’s a no go. Do you know if the upgraded regulators bolt in? I know the door design did not change much between the later years. It is hard to tell with the YouTube videos I don’t know if I’m not wording my searches correctly. It’s just annoying that the only window with issues is the driver door.

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Found the video that upgrades from the flex track to newer 1991 "J" track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_LMequdI9Y

Regarding the suspension, I know the springs do get weak when any vehicle sits and ages, but consider these were a bit softer build for ride, so maybe just need a new pair of shocks? My '84 GW came to me with 4" arched springs above factory, and replaced shocks which made the truck handle 100% better, and improved the ride a bunch.
But, if you feel the springs are done, then perhaps swap out for an OEM set of springs? Will keep the original profile, and get it freshened up without needing to fuss with anything else a lift might involve. And don't scrap those springs, as many people will buy them for off road mods on newer vehicles, or build a trailer with them. I sold the original leaf springs ($100) that were in the back cargo area, to a kid wanting to modify a Toyota.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Yes, leaf springs tend to sag with age. If you search for old threads, you'll find lots of discussion.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=site%3Afs ... nt+upgrade

This recent thread addresses your question directly, as I recall.
viewtopic.php?t=12324

Regarding lean, you may not be happy with that even when you replace all the springs. Leaf-sprung live axle Jeeps seem to lean for no obvious reason. Often you can swap springs left-to-right on a Jeep that leans, and it will still lean, in the same direction.

Back in the day, AMC/Jeep Corporation was replacing a lot of springs under warranty that leaned. They cam up with a leveling kit of a block you put under the high-side spring that would reduce the height on that side. This saved a lot of money (for Jeep) in replacement parts. This thread http://www.earlycj5.com/xf_cj5/index.ph ... ds/133223/ shows a copy of the instructions included with the original service kit. There should be Service Bulletins too, which you might find somewhere online.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

I mounted the unit out of a '92 XJ front to the brace the fsj one is mounted to. I had to be a little creative with the mounting but after 3 broken tracks in less then 18 months on a daily driver, I'd had enough. I used the XJ as they are more readily available. I still have to convert the passenger side and will document it when that track finally breaks.
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/