Headligjts dont work.. and bright light switch by foot has no plug ?

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
candymancan

Re: Headligjts dont work.. and bright light switch by foot has no plug ?

Post by candymancan »

Welp... turn out ima idiot lol. The tank is groumded.. but i guess the grpund isnt good enough on the body or frame.

I added a 10ga ground from the battery terminal to the fender wheel well and now my gas gauge works. Turns out tye last step on the tsm was right. (Check grounds)

Im going to add one to the frame as well. I noticed the ground on my Jeep is a typical 4/6ga wire going to the a.c compressor on the block. And there is no other ground anywhere. The vehicle is getting its ground from the block only

So i cut that lead terminal off and put the brass terminal on that i prefer and added that ground which i mentioned. Ill do that frame ground i mentioned. And probably replace that starter wire too. It corroded old.

Thank god i dont gatta mess with the sending unit. One less project
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Well nvm now it doesnt work again.. then when i grab the tank and move it a little. It works again.

Something going on.. im still thinking its ground.. i just dunno how to ground this thing better.

Odd the rear of the tank. Can be pushed up like less than 1.4 if an inch. All the way against the bed floor. And when i do thay the gauge works.

When i let it drop down the gauge stops working. What is causing this lol ? Is that ground ? Thats confusing as heck.

I cant tighten the strap down more on that side to pull it against the floor. Its against the floor on the front end. But the rear it isnt. I just dont see how that 1.4 inch suddenly makes the gauge work. Thats very weird.

Edit: i took a camera up there.. the sending unit pin with the connector. When i push the tank jp fully.. that conmector pushes against the floor and then the gauge slowely climb up.

I wonder if the sending unit isnt getting a proper conmection on that pin. Hmmm

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Sounds like it, but you should have a ground wire on the sending unit?
I found adding grounds on my '84 GW lit up lights in the cab I thought were burnt bulbs.
I have ground from battery through kill switch to engine block, kill switch to body under drivers door, ground strip inside drivers floorboard up near firewall for instrument/dash grounded to grounding strip on PS front fender off battery, grounds off rear of truck lighting to body and frame. You can never have enough as body seams, fenders to body/body to frame, do not connect well just bolted together. You need to ground across them for best continuity.
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Well i added an 18ga ground from the tank seem to the frame. Meaning i drilled into the pincjed seem outer edge and added a ground. And when i checked via multimeter it was grounded.

But maybe not enough ? Because as soon as i did that 10ga battery to wheel well ground next to the battery the gauge worked. But then driving it it stopped working.

Then i found if i push the tank up that last 1.4 inch on thr back corner the gauge works. Then if i let it drop down it stops. And puahing it up fully pushes that L shapr plug on the sending against the floor board.

But i know i cleaned it good.. and pinched it to clamp down better on the pin. Prior. So i dunno.

Maybe it needs bolted on instead. But i know that enclosed pin is to keep it from grounding itself. So if i bolt it on it might cause issues. Maybe being it isnt touching the floor unless i push up anyway.

And i cant tighten that strap anymore. So yea.

Oddly the gauge worked all day yesturday driving around. And was pretty accurate too. Im gonna add a ground to the frame here soon. There are 0 grounds on the frame. Its litterally jist to the block which is weird.

I think ima run a ground from the battery to the bed itself as well. And probably to the rear of the frame too. Tbh i dont see how the bed gets grounded anyway with no frame ground besides the engine. And the bed just bolted to it. I bet once i add all these grounds itll fix this problem for good

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

I believe it will solve some electrical issues for sure.
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified