Some progress on Roscoe - vacuum and carb issues

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Moparmikeo

Some progress on Roscoe - vacuum and carb issues

Post by Moparmikeo »

Spent a couple of days over the past couple of weekends working on the Wagoneer. Was nearly impossible to start, and wanted to stall as soon as I put it in gear. Multitude of issues, none major, but some a major PIA!

First, the rats nest of vacuum lines. Armed with spools of vacuum hose, I replaced all of the dried out, cracked 40+ year old vacuum lines. There is a special place in the hottest bowels of he** for the engineers who designed this mess! The videos by Dr. Bob's Last Chance Garage on YouTube were a lifesaver! While I was there, I also replaced the blown out EGR valve, PCV valve (unique hose arrangement required some creativity), and repaired one of the choke heater tubes.

Next up was the carb. I rebuilt the carb when we bought the Jeep, but did not mess much with the overall adjustments. Adjusted the choke and fast idle, and checked everything else while I had the carb off the Jeep (made doing the vacuum lines and EGR valve a little easier with the carb out of the way). Once again, Dr. Bob's videos were extremely helpful!

Threw on a new cap, rotor and wires (ran out of time for the plugs, it was already approaching midnight at this point). Cranked it over a few times until I got fuel coming out of the line, hooked the fuel up and it fired right off. Much smoother idle without countless vacuum leaks!

First opportunity I've had to work on the Jeep all year, thankfully it was a success!
82 Wagoneer Limited, A/K/A "Roscoe"

Was: brown metallic/Nutmeg

Now: Turd brown house paint/Nutmeg

devildog80

Re: Some progress on Roscoe - vacuum and carb issues

Post by devildog80 »

Good work, and nice it fired when expected.
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

why_rick

Post by why_rick »

question on vacuum lines: I haven't dived into mine at all yet. But....where do you buy the lines? Are they multiple sizes?
Chop your own wood and it'll warm you twice

77 Cherokee Chief Wide Track Levi Edition, stock 360 (for now)
65 Chevy C10, 350, 700R4

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Vac lines I purchased sizes I needed by the spool on Amazon. I have 1/4 in & 5/16 in on vac, and fuel lines 1/4 in, 5/16 in, 3/8 in sizes. There are a couple larger vac lines on intake behind the carb, and PVC from oil fill tube, but buy that local by the foot as needed.
Running vapor lines from tank breathers to vac canister will be your longest needed, so the spool gets you the footage for those, and multiple short pieces needed in engine bay.
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

Topic author
Moparmikeo

Post by Moparmikeo »

why_rick wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:53 pm question on vacuum lines: I haven't dived into mine at all yet. But....where do you buy the lines? Are they multiple sizes?
I bought a spool of 5/32 and 7/32 from Rockauto. I wasn't brave enough to pull the entire vacuum harnesses off and redo it on the bench, I did each line individually on the engine.
82 Wagoneer Limited, A/K/A "Roscoe"

Was: brown metallic/Nutmeg

Now: Turd brown house paint/Nutmeg

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Perfect way to do it.....one line at a time.

backroadin'

Post by backroadin' »

why_rick wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:53 pm question on vacuum lines: I haven't dived into mine at all yet. But....where do you buy the lines? Are they multiple sizes?
Any auto parts store will sell all the various sizes of rubber hose. Most even carry the tiny stuff for windshield washer lines too. I would just make sure the hose you get is fuel rated, which it prolly will be if you get it at the parts store.
You should also find them at most hardware stores too.

Just bring in a small piece of whatever hoses you need to replace and they can match 'em up for you.
'73 Wagoneer 4.0 stroker/t176/d300, offy dualport w/ quadrajet

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Most of the lines are 5/32" ID vacuum hose. The vacuum hose has no reinforcement but a thick wall so it will not collapse under vacuum. The washer hose is 1/8" ID and thin wall, specifically for the washer water. Some devices use 1/4" fuel/emission hose, like the vapor recovery system. The air cleaner is 1/2" fuel/emissions hose - don't use heater hose. There are a few places that are 7/32" ID like your 2150 power valve connection to manifold vacuum fitting.

I too have a roll of the 5/32" line that I bought on Amazon. I'll probably never use it all. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002 ... UTF8&psc=1 In total, there's not enough of the other sizes to justify a complete roll of those. RockAuto has these hoses too - https://www.rockauto.com/en/tools/hoses ... m+hose,230 - slightly cheaper than Amazon, but shipping may be outweigh that.

Suggest you guess at how much you need and buy several extra feet at the parts store. The routing of these lines does not matter really - as long as each device is connected to the proper source of vacuum, everything will work. Route the lines so they are convenient for you. If you can follow the diagram, you could rip it all out and replace from that. Or replace one at a time, if that's more comfortable.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.