fluctuating oil pressure

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Srdayflyer

fluctuating oil pressure

Post by Srdayflyer »

fyi to all, i had my oil pressure fluctuating figure it was the cluster guage
also had an oil seep at the mating surface at the timing case cover ordered new gasket $1.25, anyway upon removal and cleaning found the pump cover extremely scored, and could not remove the pressure piston, anyway i surface plated the cover/oil filter housing until all scoring removed and then pressed on to the pressure plunger, the lower pressure spring was loaded with sludge, and the plunger once i was able to remove it was loaded where the spring was and the barrel was varnished up, cleaned the plunger bore and plunger until it slid with ease, inspected the gears and showed that no wear , reinstalled packed with Vaseline , re assembled fired it up and oil pressure stays rock steady at 45psi, thought id pass this on for others

devildog80

Re: fluctuating oil pressure

Post by devildog80 »

Nice work. Glad it cleaned up rather than needing replaced :)
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), Edelbrock clone 1406, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified