Signal light wiring

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
cody3395

Signal light wiring

Post by cody3395 »

Hey all,
I recently bought and put in new front signal lights for my 1971 J-4000 (bought them from Team Grand Wagoner if anyone's familiar). My problem is that thr new lights are wired with three coming from the back (2 black and 1 white) while the old lights are wired with two from the back (1 blue and 1 red) with an additional wire coming from the end connector (also blue) that seems to join up with side signal light.
I can replace the connectors ends no problem, but I'm not an expert when it comes to electrical things, so I could use some help or advice on what to do.

tgreese

Re: Signal light wiring

Post by tgreese »

You can probably inspect the connections and figure it out.

Do both housings use a single bulb? If so, look at which wire goes to which contact. You may need a multimeter to determine this. Use the continuity or Ohms setting and test the contacts and wires to see what's connected where.

These bulbs are bayonet-type. The two posts that go into the slots on the socket are different depths, and the bulb can only go in one way. Two filaments, one bright (indicators) and one less bright (running). This means there is a bright and a dim contact, that slways goes to the same filament. Both filaments are connected to the bulb base and socket, and then to ground. Map out both parts. Then connect the contacts to the wire colors and wire it in the same as the original part. If you have an extra wire, tape it off and don't use it. Or snip it onec you are confident you don't need it.
Last edited by tgreese on Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Srdayflyer

Re: Signal light wiring

Post by Srdayflyer »

i just used the oem socket on mine was a plug and play , and just saved the one that came with the new units , unless the are some sort of different bulb socket