Differential Condition, water in it...rebuild it, inspect further or leave in?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Differential Condition, water in it...rebuild it, inspect further or leave in?

Post by Stuka »

candymancan wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:26 pm Weird i towed the 6400lbs on the uhaul up the mountains in va. And back down.. I had no sway or any issue at 65mph. Besides lack if power going up the hills. But hey thats you. This is me. Apples an oranges. The uhaul trailer was very stable. Brakes were fine on the Jeep with the trailer surge brakes.. The later year ones are rated for 5klbs. A ZJ is rated for 6500lbs fyi.. And the ZJ is lighter.. and even more narrow. But maybe its because i have a 90 like you said. I also have stiff springs rated for higher than factory loads. The 97-402 for 1440lbs. Vs the 1300lbs springs.. and an add a leaf as well sooo

The frame stiffners looks like these. Ill get more pics off mine
Yeah, obviously your mileage may vary. Terrain matters a lot (I am in the steep, high altitude sierra nevadas). And neither Jeep had tack bars.

Thanks for getting the shots of the frame stiffeners. I dont think anybody has ever posted a photo of those.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

letank

Re: Differential Condition, water in it...rebuild it, inspect further or leave in?

Post by letank »

This V hitch was called the HD style.

here are my takes on the 74, a little mod needed for the rivets

Passenger's side
HitchBracketPass2x.jpg
Driver's side
HitchBracketDrvrx.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)