headlights

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
why_rick

headlights

Post by why_rick »

This may have been beat to death already. I have one headlight that's dimming and I'm looking for a change. A buddy of mine built a F100 and put these lights in:
https://www.extremeterrain.com/axial-je ... er_q_and_a
Says they're damn bright. Can we just put any 7" in for the stock? Not sure if there's any wiring that has to be done.
Anyone else have LED's?
Chop your own wood and it'll warm you twice

77 Cherokee Chief Wide Track Levi Edition, stock 360 (for now)
65 Chevy C10, 350, 700R4

sierrablue

Re: headlights

Post by sierrablue »

Based on what I've read, the Wranglers have the same lens size, but the wiring is different.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

savethejeeps

Post by savethejeeps »

I converted my '76 Cherokee using relay kit from BJs and some Hella lights. Then I found this kit. Not LED but stock look and uses the replaceable bulbs. Big improvement over stock. I am going to use the Toyota kit on my Jeepster and CJ7. This kit is a fraction of what the relay from BJs and Hella lights cost.

https://parts.toyotasouth.com/oem-parts ... 8111060p70
'58 CJ5
'67 Jeepster Convertible
'74 CJ5 half cab plow Jeep
'76 Cherokee S
'86 CJ7

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

savethejeeps wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:54 pm I converted my '76 Cherokee using relay kit from BJs and some Hella lights. Then I found this kit. Not LED but stock look and uses the replaceable bulbs. Big improvement over stock. I am going to use the Toyota kit on my Jeepster and CJ7. This kit is a fraction of what the relay from BJs and Hella lights cost.

https://parts.toyotasouth.com/oem-parts ... 8111060p70
Ouch 😣 Sorry you got slammed with such a big bill for those relays. BJ's is great, don't get me wrong, but they have a lot of overpriced stuff.

We've had good luck with relays and the Hellas on the XJ. Also those take the H4, which would give you worlds of options for LEDs, and in a pinch, everybody's gonna have them. I know the round ones are still under $100 for a pair.

If budget isn't a problem you can get the H4s from these guys, with LEDs in them. Lots of cool options there; just too pricey for me: https://vintagecarleds.com/7-inch-round-headlights/
Last edited by sierrablue on Thu May 04, 2023 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

These are the lights I'm going to go for at some point: https://www.octanelighting.com/auto-lig ... 037-a.html

Relatively cheap and they have a clear glass lens, and look close enough to stock to look good. Also they take the H4 blub, which EVERYBODY will have when it's 12:00 at night and you have no headlights. You also have a lot of options if/when you choose to go LED. Also if you went with LED bulbs you wouldn't really see a whole lot of gain with the relays, which just keeps the wiring neater.

This is just what I'm after--a stock look, with easy to get bulbs (that you don't have to replace the whole lens for), for a reasonable price. Harder to find than I expected. I don't know what look you're going for specifically, but Summit Racing and Amazon have some good 7" options, especially if you don't care about retaining the stock look. I would caution you to check the reviews on the Amazon stuff, as it's hard to distinguish the junk from the not sometimes,
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Topic author
why_rick

Post by why_rick »

Sierra, thanks for the heads up. I prefer something I can just drop in and plugs into the stock plug. Looks like any of those will do the trick.

65 Chevy C10, 350, 700R4

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

No problem. I like your signature, btw.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

And while your in there, make sure you can aim them where you want them...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114352076455?h ... SwqLRcI-DL
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
why_rick

Post by why_rick »

LIGHTS1.jpg
LIGHTS2.jpg
I ended up going with the Raxiom lights. They're bright. Might need a little adjusting but I dig them. I didn't hook up the blinker bar in the middle...yet. Not sure if I'm going to.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

65 Chevy C10, 350, 700R4

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Nice! Personally I've gotta have a chrome light, but those look good!

I got a pair of the Octane ones--have yet to install them yet though.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Here's how mine came out--overall very happy with them. Will see how they do at night...

Total cost for them was under $60, including the new pigtails for the H4 I got (originals would work but the plastic on them was TRASHED). And then because they use the H4, there are tons of LED options, as well as being able to buy a generic over-the-counter one in a pinch at 10:00 on a Sunday night (not a real experience--I just made it up, I swear).

https://www.amazon.com/Octane-Lighting- ... 112&sr=8-4
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

Check out Holley's Retro Bright headlights. High quality LED and look stock, which is a must for me on a classic rig.
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

HeavyMetalThunder_81 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:07 am Check out Holley's Retro Bright headlights. High quality LED and look stock, which is a must for me on a classic rig.
I looked at those but I have a couple problems with them. 1) they're freaking expensive, 2) because it has the stock lens, you still have the poor focus from a stock lens, and 3) the bulb, while not impossible to find, is not as easy to find as the H4.

There are H4 stock looking lights too--I think even Octane builds them. I just needed it not to look out of place/still be chrome; as far as I'm concerned they don't have to have the stock face.

It's all about personal preference tho.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070