Tailgate window upgrade to relay control.

Topic author
serehill
Vendor

Tailgate window upgrade to relay control.

Post by serehill »

Finally

I have completed 10 tailgate relay controll systems & I'll be putting more information out on these over the next few days & populate it similar to the headlight harness with details.
I'll complete documentation & have it up tomorrow.\

Update over 400 sold

There will be 3 styles available starting out to see where the market goes. These are a complete rewire & a little harder than the headlight harness but well worth the effort. They have been in operation over the last 3 years so they are time tested. There is some info on these in the relayed headlight section.
Type #1 will be a totally hardwired version which will operate like stock switch on the dash & tailgate switch. you can used upgraded switches or your stock switches.
$100.00
Type 2 will be a totally hardwired with a wireless remote. It will have all the options of # 1 with the wireles.
$140
Type 3 wound up being a last thought & is interesting because it's really easy to install & get going. It's a totally remote where you don't wire up either switch the remote is the only thing that opens it.
$100.00
Just added type four by request. this one will just have the controller & battery power wire only. It can be used with the exsitng wire in the harnesses for the OEM guy or the guy that knows his wiring is good. The power feed & the way to factory system operates is the problem this one enhances power & totally changes the way the switches operate off of a simple 3 wire system.

The design is modular & can be done in any combination if you didn't want the tail gate switch you can easily remove the wiring. The dash switch can be eliminated also. The remote can be done later.
The harness could be put in in one day if you stayed busy. It's like the headlight harness is built of quality products & is electrically protected & the control circuit is even fused to protect from mistakes installing the unit.
It also has the capability of utilizing the factory door safety switch on the tailgate. It is built to bypass the switch but has a circuit that can very simply be changed to operate the safety. You can also used replacement or the stock switches. They will used to operate relay instaed of the motors directly which is the original systems downfall.
GI John has the 2nd prototype & Could be contacted by PM if you wish to discuss one. He has had in operation for 11 months. John helped me through the development & install stages of the build/ design. He has the wired remote system Type #2. PM him with any questions you may have he's the only one besides me that has installed one.

Breaker circuit with auto reset instead of fuse. for main power.

Well here's the preliminary.

Below is the instructions on how to wire the hard wired worst case. The other 3 types are different 2 easier. One harder. The harder one would be where you just get a controller & use you own wiring. It's not that hard.

This will help you see the scope & scale.

PM Me with any question lets get on th ephone & work out details open t custom onstall just like with the lights.

The remote only includes the mounting of the controller & tailgate motor pieces the only other part to it is running the black red to the battery. No switcheds to connect. easy.

I'm also working out a deal to buy extra remotes. there are 2 types a key chain fob & a sunvisotr clip one both battery operated & will work with in 50 feet of vehicle.

Tailgate upgrade wiring solution:
Remove all wiring in the tailgate to existing motor & remove the tailgate switch. DO NOT REMOVE LIGHTING WIRES TO THE LICENSE PLATE LIGHT!! Install new switch in tailgate switch mechanism or rewire existing switch your choice. Mount tailgate relay system temporarily face up using the machine screws that holds the terminal strip. You should drill 2 holes in the lip of the tailgate in the bottom left corner of the opening. The plate should mount both ways. Face up until it is installed & tested. Then you will unbolt it & flip it over & bolt it back in the same holes. Then cut the bolts off to allow the inspection cover to be remounted on the tailgate when completed. In the temporary position don’t worry if it sticks out past the tailgate opening. After install is complete you will remove the board & flip it over for protection. It’s where you have the most space.
Make sure you have nylon wire (ZIP) ties to attatch the new harness to the old lighting harness as it runs parralell to the old harness.
Once you have mounted the controller it is time to start running wires. Enlarge the holes on both slightly to ensure the harness will passes freely through the tailgate & the tailgate jamb. Once the hole is enlarged remove the breaker mechanism & the switch from the long wiring harness & tape them up to protect them while running forward. Although I protected the circuit from damage I have built a pretty strong harmness. Be aware you still need to be careful as you run the wiring & ensure you do it patiently & Keep it out of harms way. Moving parts & hot parts have top be avoided.

DO NOT pull on wire connectors or ends they're on pretty good but not made to be pulled hard on. If you do have to pull on these pull on the connectors themselves NOT the wires. I special purchased a professional crimp tool to make these as best I could but it doesn't hurt to keep an eye on them. Out of 132 headlight harnesses with over a thousand connections I have had 6 issues with crimps. most could have been avoided but stuff happens. I'll be glad to replace any you may have issues with for any reason.
Take the wiring harness & put it through the tailgate & tailgate jamb hole. Leave working slack in the tailgate. Carefully select your path & follow the electrical wiring for the tailights to the front with the long harness. The harness will run up & to the left side of the steering column where the three wire fork (Separation is) in the harness will go through the firewall & to the dash switch.
The other 2 wires ( Black & Red) will run up & follow the wiring across the firewall. It will follow the wiring harness going to starter solenoid. Locate the wire there & re attach the breaker you disconnected earlier. Do not connect the wire to the battery yet.
Now going back to the tailgate you will have to rewire the motor & the tailgate switches if you chose to use the tailgate switch. There are 3 identical wires in connection in color (either Red Orange White OR Red Orange Green) as the front switch that are about 32 inches long they go to the tailgate switch. Depending on which switch solution you use will determine connectioins. Instructions will be with harness for this.
Then connect the motor utilizing the terminals that have the blue wires comming from the relay. It's not really important but try to attach the light colored motor wire to the left relay & the dark motor wire to the right relay. If the switches operate backwards then swap these 2 connections. It will reverse the action.
Now notice on the terminal strip (of the controller) there is a red wire jumping from one terminal to another terminal. This is easily identified because it has 2 crimp connectors plugged into each other. This is the safety interlock. There were 2 crimp terminals attached to the harness in a plastic bag. Locate the safety on the left side of the tailgate switch & the wire going to the safety switch. Crimp the 2 connectors provided to those 2 wires. On the red jumper described earlier Unplug the 2 connectors & attach them to the wires you just crimped. Remember the system will not run without this switch being closed when you start testing. This is also the first place you start looking if it does not work. If it does not work disconnect the safety switch & plug the 2 reds back togehter. This will indicate a bad switch if it starts working or you have not taped it to the closed position for testing. You must tape it on the closed position when testing.
Now final process chosing your solution for the dash switch.
1. Replacing
2. Eliminating
3. Rewire existing
Once the desision is made completed you should have a complete install!!
Now go back through the entire system starting in the tailgate & make sure all wires are attached & in position to be able to let the window roll up & down without issues or interference.
for trouble shooting & future reference
Connect the harness using the tag or this connection chart.
Terminal Wire
#1 Small Yellow
#2 Small red
#3 Small white or green ome have white some have green.
#4 Large red
#5 Large black
#6 Red interlock loorp form fuse. interlock connect to # 2 opposite end.
Locate the two BLUE wires running off the relays. Connect them to motor temporarily. Once you determine operation you can crimp & tape permanently. You can test & reverse wires if it work backwards.
Now mount the circuit breaker & connect the red wire to the starter solenoid by battery. I would disconnect the battery for this procedure.
Re read & re-examine the entire job & ensure the motor wires are still temporarily in the butt splices. Then test.
After a complete inspection go to the battery & attach the breaker to the fenderwell. Attach the black wire ring to the solenoid mounting bolt or a great ground. Then attach the ring on the breaker to the battery side of the solenoid.
If everything is OK flip the relay board & replace the tailgate assembly.

Original thread with further info. http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=150172

Last edited by serehill on Fri May 13, 2016 8:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
1980 Honcho 258 4 speed mostly stock with 4 " lift.

WIP

You know the rude dude from IFSJA

1980 Cherokee wrangled & mangled
MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch
Built to drive not sit in the garage.

No longer strangled. I didn't build it for anyone else.
If you can't improve it why waste your time?

FSJ Guy

Re: Tailgate window upgrade to relay control.

Post by FSJ Guy »

RE the remote operation: Is it a one-touch type of deal (sometimes called "express down") or do you have to hold the remote button while the window is going down?
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

GI-John

Post by GI-John »

If the remote is the same that I am using, it requires you to hold the button down for operation. It is similar to wireless winch remotes. IMHO, it is the coolest part of the setup.

As Serehill said, I have been using mine for almost a year now. It is rock solid, and works flawlessly, which is more than say for the rest of the Jeep. I'd recommend it to anyone that doesn't want to gamble on when their window will fail.

John
Last edited by GI-John on Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

GI-John wrote:...works flawlessly, which is more than say for the rest of the Jeep.
LOL!

Sounds like the one's I've owned, too!!! Thank you for the info. I will definitely consider this.
Ethan Brady

Topic author
serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

FSJ Guy wrote:RE the remote operation: Is it a one-touch type of deal (sometimes called "express down") or do you have to hold the remote button while the window is going down?

First Thanks John.
He has the second prototype & helped me develop the system. It is as John says not an express system. The reason why it is not is the express system requires either limits or overloads in the control circuit adding a lot of work & cost which directly defeated the priority to make a dependable inexpensive sytem. No I don't think $100 is inexensive. It was important it function flawlessly & had the simplest install. It's not a simple install physically but you certainly don't have to have a lot of electrical knowledge to do so. A 300 dollar solution was not an option.
You have to hold down the button. The express use meant also it had to be all the way up or all the way down no in between. These are not appealling qualites.
An automatic closing option would be very dangerous also. Kids Dogs & people not paying attention could have some bad results. I would not build the option. I took a long time to develop the safest system I could.
Last edited by serehill on Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WIP

MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

I agree. An express UP would be dangerous. That motor is POWERFUL.

I will look into this when I get my next Jeep.
Ethan Brady

CAPTSmith

Post by CAPTSmith »

Just finished my rear window harness with remote and love it! At first I was weary about trying to install the wiring harness, as I hate electrical wiring stuff, but Rick at serehill had easy to follow instructions and even shared cell phone number to call him if I had problems. The multiple switches, relays, etc. works great and the cool key fob with remote window openning buttons is my favorite switch! This was such a big improvement over the OEM stuff, I'm thinking about the front light harness Rich makes!
Captain Dennis Smith, U.S. Navy
*'88 Jeep Grand Wagoneer w/GM LS 6.0 Vortec/4L80e/NP241c
*'89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer stock trail rig
*74 AMC Javelin AMX w/360, 4-speed Hurst, over 450 hp monster!
*83 Jeep CJ7 engine swap (305/TH400,Dana300/Dana44s)

Engine swap build thread: http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1011

Topic author
serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Thanks Dennis,
Glad it worked. you're done with the tailgate now on to other problems it won't bother you again even if it does 5 minutes to replace a relay or switch & you're done trouble shooting.

WIP

MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch

bwwhaler

Post by bwwhaler »

I installed headlight harness and rear window harness from Rick. These things are great and easy to wire (as long as you follow directions, where I didn't pay attention) Rick was super in staying in contact with me throughout my whole ordeal with my rear window harness... No fault on Rick's part, all owner/operator error. Rick was nice enough to send me spare parts that weren't even needed. I have made a great friend, and thank him a million for his willingness to help out fellow fsj junkies. :-bd
1987 GW 360/727/229 Performer intake Holley 670 32's 4" BJ's Springs CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness

Topic author
serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Thanks Burt,
It's what i promised to do. Glad your rocking & like the product.
Tech support is promised.
Good to know your tailgate problems are done. watch you fingers LOL.

:fsj:
Last edited by serehill on Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WIP

MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch

ross80truck
Vendor

Post by ross80truck »

Installed my rear window harness with remote and love it. I would highly recommend the remote. Were you ever able to figure out if you could get an additional remote? My wife wants a remote to go with her set of keys for the Jeep.
Priorities
1. God
2. Wife ( Sarah )
3. Children ( Lane & Dirk )
4. Work
5. Jeep

Man it is hard to keep them in the right order!

85 Wagoneer, 6bt, NV4500, Black Box, NP205, D60 front, Corp 14 rear http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1446
76 Cherokee Chief - Cheap Build - SOLD http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2605
81 Jeep Scrambler http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 301#p97301

Topic author
serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

ross80truck wrote:Installed my rear window harness with remote and love it. I would highly recommend the remote. Were you ever able to figure out if you could get an additional remote? My wife wants a remote to go with her set of keys for the Jeep.

Ross,
Thanks for you input. I really am glad you like it & it works for you. There are 2 different types of remotes available & yes &I can get extras. The remote is really cool.

I'm going to send you a PM with description of the remotes & how to acquire them. I try to give everyone the option on the remote but everyone that has bought them compliment the remote more than the system. :-bd

WIP

MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch

jeepgirl

Post by jeepgirl »

Are this kits still being produced? have 78 chief and the interior switch works great but rear switch operates but window moves slowly. Rear switch was replaced with aftermarket..

thanks.
"Silly boys, Jeeps are for girls!"

1978 Cherokee Chief "Ivy"

Topic author
serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

They are

WIP

MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch

jeepgirl

Post by jeepgirl »

Definitely adding to my todo list. I like the idea of having inside, rear, and keyfob switches. Im not sure about new rear switch wiring since it moves so slowly using the rear switch.
"Silly boys, Jeeps are for girls!"

1978 Cherokee Chief "Ivy"

Achilles

Post by Achilles »

Buy with confidence serehill makes and sell awesome products.
1983 Wagoneer Limited, 169k 360 AMC, NP 229, 727, MODS: 2003 Durango bucket seats.

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

One more on order sir..... check your PM.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

Topic author
serehill
Vendor

Post by serehill »

Done mr G.

WIP

MSD complete system
Eddy intake
Holley 650
Comp cam 270H
4" Rusty's
Ramsey 12K winch

mmmtang

Post by mmmtang »

Sent you a PM. I'm interested in having a functional tailgate. That seems important.

Alex

mmmtang

Post by mmmtang »

Alright, so I'm not sure if that PM actually got sent. Its still sitting in the outbox instead of the sent box. So... I need a harness! Please don't make me create one myself. I already did that for the headlights prior to seeing your stuff. I'd rather spend 1 day installing your harness than 4 days sourcing parts, creating, and installing my own.

Alex