Sourcing parts for my '68 Wagoneer - with a twist

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Jetscuh

Sourcing parts for my '68 Wagoneer - with a twist

Post by Jetscuh »

Due to my general habit of poor decision making I picked up a 1968 Wagoneer from the Netherlands a few weeks ago and here it sits in my garage in Germany. So I cannot physically scout junkyards and craigslist like I normally would in the states.

I've found a fair amount of parts from RockAuto, BJ's, and eBay - mostly engine stuff. I have an APO address so that helps immensely since I can have things shipped USPS. I can also have things shipped internationally to my phsyical German address, of course. The issue I am having is that it is quite difficult to source misc. parts for a 1968. I should have bought a '74+ because that would have been way easier :roll:

I may or may not need to replace some body panels, and those are easy to find - just have to negotiate shipping, but I cannot, for the life of me, find inner wheel wells/fender aprons/fender liners/whatever you may choose to call them. I am not sure why as these seem rather prone to rot...and one can find the outer body panels easily. I also need a gas tank, but I may have to find something not original for that year that works, because again, hard to find. It LPG at the moment and since 1997, but the tank sits in the cargo area which I find annoying as you lose cargo space and I miss the smell gasoline because I'm weird. It has the ability to switch back and forth, but it looks as though no one has used the gasoline system in a long time, so I'll have to replace all or most of it due to general decay and rot.

My main question is, what sources are out there for this earlier model? and do these fender liners exist? or do I have to randomly somehow call junkyards in America and see if anyone is crazy enough to ship the things?

I did find some items I could use from Jeep Recyclers but I had to contact them to see if they could ship the items APO (they're larger, heavy, and somewhat bulky - APO has some restrictions) or if international mail is easier for them, and I'm awaiting a reply. It'd be great if they turn out to be a decent resource.

Parts are very very limited in Europe or $$$ so I am sourcing almost everything from America. Some places are open to shipping to APO, some aren't (for reasons unknown to me) and I'm fairly decent at the interwebz, but any direction pointing, contacts, resources are appreciated to help my poorly thought out Euro-build.

lkmarsh

Re: Sourcing parts for my '68 Wagoneer - with a twist

Post by lkmarsh »

Hi there, Thank you for serving our country! A 68 is a rare animal even stateside. Are you planning on restoring it
or building a driver? The original fuel tank is a bear to fill, too many bends in the filler neck and air hose.
If you can live without the spare tire mount a 30 gallon Scout tank fits there. Inner fenders are available from later years,
I have a set from 73, someone is always parting out, but shipping is the elephant in the room. Best to post up
in the Parts Wanted forum, here and IFSJA. I can compare the 73s to my 69 wag for similarity and find USPS shipping to Germany.
Hope you're rich! -lyle

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/
Lyle
69 1414x Buick350/Th400/D20
PDB, HEI, relays, rallyes, rhino, rust...
73 Wagoneer parts donor

Topic author
Jetscuh

Post by Jetscuh »

lkmarsh wrote:Hi there, Thank you for serving our country! A 68 is a rare animal even stateside. Are you planning on restoring it
or building a driver? The original fuel tank is a bear to fill, too many bends in the filler neck and air hose.
If you can live without the spare tire mount a 30 gallon Scout tank fits there. Inner fenders are available from later years,
I have a set from 73, someone is always parting out, but shipping is the elephant in the room. Best to post up
in the Parts Wanted forum, here and IFSJA. I can compare the 73s to my 69 wag for similarity and find USPS shipping to Germany.
Hope you're rich! -lyle

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/
A frame off restoration done by someone else was considered, but it would cost 40k+ so we decided to tackle as much as possible ourselves. We have the means for mostly everything minus some panel replacement and paint job. It will be brought somewhere for a new paint job after a few other things are completed (new suspension, addressing leaks, new radiator, brakes, and more). I am in the process of doing some rust repair on the frame. It's actually mostly surface rust and shouldn't require and cutting or welding. Just some time with an angle grinder and a proper paint job. It will be driven fairly regularly but not as a primary vehicle, its just an extra vehicle really. So basically a road functional vehicle with a mostly DIY restoration. Mostly stock minus a 4" lift because the current suspension is shot and 31's. I'm not looking to build for off-road as you can't really do that around here - just dirt roads, and I've been there done that before.

I didn't really examine the fuel tank because it's coated in crud nor did I examine the filler neck and air hose, so I have no idea how it is to fill. I just put it lower on my list than a few other things and firgured I would get to it eventually and the fuel system would have to be replaced entirely. The tank is rather crusty looking and unused for who knows how long. I don't care if it is the stock tank or not, as long as it is something that fits into that space. I don't know that a Scout tank is much easier to find, but I also haven't looked.

I'll post in the Parts Wanted forum, thanks for the suggestion.

Oh and IFSJA - I signed up for an account weeks and weeks ago, kept waiting for them to activate the account, weeks later I emailed them and asked them to activate my account since I had been waiting, and they just completely deleted it. So I guess I have to start over. I also joined some Facebook groups for parts and whatnot to keep an eye out there.

Shipping to APO in theory is supposed to be similar to shipping to NY - just with a small customs form that has to state contents of the package, but sometimes it can get costly, but I think that is just USPS in general nowadays. I won't say what I paid for my recent RockAuto order shipping. To be fair, they ship from like 5 different locations though. But it is what it is, if I want the part over here, I have to pay the shipping. So I just suck it up in the hope of having a functional Wagoneer someday. :roll:

But basically I'm looking to assemble a small parts yard in my garage at this point. I'm just collecting everything I think I will need, which is a lot, but if I don't need it, I have it - does that make me a hoarder or prepared? :D

Sorry for the lengthy reply, but I also see that you have the 350 in your '69, how's that running for you? I have zero clue how many miles are on mine and at this point it doesn't matter, but it does have low oil pressure. I did pick up a new sending unit and oil pump rebuild kit. As well as an actual guage that will tell me what the pressure is and not just the dummy light. I'm hoping the rebuild and new sending unit will fix the problem. Otherwise the engine sounds good - no clicks, knocks, or oddities. I've done a little research on it already and the oil pressure issue isn't uncommon. An engine rebuild is in the plans eventually, but I don't think it is needed at the moment.

lkmarsh

Post by lkmarsh »

Everything you've heard about the Buick 350 is true. Oil pressure is the biggest problem. V8Buick.com is worth your time.
When it ran, I loved the 350. Then it quit two years after rebuild. Probably my fault. Can't build them like a sbc.
This winter I'll do all the oil mods, with grooved cam bearings clocked, deeper pan, etc. Chucking the two barrel for
a Quadrajet worked great, so a Holley is next. If you are a hoarder, so am I. No choice, really. Better to get the parts
you need before you need them. AZ and O'Reilly's are no help.

http://www.v8buick.com/index.php
Lyle
69 1414x Buick350/Th400/D20
PDB, HEI, relays, rallyes, rhino, rust...
73 Wagoneer parts donor

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

Quick question: do you have to get German inspection, or do they still let US personnel get inspected on post?
If German inspection is required, you may want to forgo the lift and try to go as stock as possible.

How far out do you expect to be coming back state-side? Will you bring it with, or sell there? That will play into the above question.

If you can generate a punch list, some of us can see what we can source
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

Topic author
Jetscuh

Post by Jetscuh »

jpswapmohn wrote:Quick question: do you have to get German inspection, or do they still let US personnel get inspected on post?
If German inspection is required, you may want to forgo the lift and try to go as stock as possible.

How far out do you expect to be coming back state-side? Will you bring it with, or sell there? That will play into the above question.

If you can generate a punch list, some of us can see what we can source
There is the option to register the vehicle off base, but it is easier to register it on base through the USAREUR Registration office. Then there is the option of going through inspection on base (free) or off base. Some argue that one is better than the other or it depends who is working, etc. They are quite strict, but not on ride height so much. They seem to be more strict on lowered vehicles, and noise.

The problem is they will not pass my current suspension, it is too rusty and worn out. And someone put like twine in the bushing, I don't know, it's a hot mess. I could not find stock springs, I could hardly find a lift kit for this year. BJ's is out of stock/on back order so I am waiting for it to be in stock. They are my only option as I don't have the means to move spring perches, other mounts, fabricate something so other springs will work (from a YJ or whatever people are doing) etc. So it's kind of 4" lift or nothing. And also hoping it fits in my garage post lift, but I can also work on some things at the auto hobby shop on base.

3 more years left on this tour in Germany. Could go back to the US, or could stay in Europe. Either way the Wagoneer goes wherever we go. Putting enough time and money into the thing, might as well try to enjoy it and keep it for as long as possible. No plans on selling it, no matter how much it pisses me off and takes my money :D

I'm going to put together a list ASAP and put it in the "Parts Wanted" section - I'll put a link to it in this thread and my build thread if anyone wants to check it out and see what they have.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

There are shops that will build springs for you, custom or original; they will be somewhat more expensive, but exactly what you want. Try Alcan in Grand Junction CO or Deaver in Santa Ana CA.

Regarding your body pieces, if you need inner front fenders, I believe you can make the inners for just about any year of Wagoneer or J-truck work for you. If you look in the parts for sale forums here and at IFSJA, you may find someone with these inners to sell that will ship to you. For other stuff, I would suggest you fabricate the pieces you need to repair whatever holes and rust you have. Look here http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=121305 for an example of fixing the corrugated floors with repair parts from a Chevrolet truck..

Not sure how different the gas tank for a '68 is from a '70 - MTS sells a plastic tank for a '70 that I suspect would work. http://www.mtscompany.com/J-truck.htm Look at part # 0020. In the parts catalog, there is only one drawing of fuel tanks for all Wagoneers, 1963-73. Is your Jeep a 327 or 350?
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Jetscuh

Post by Jetscuh »

tgreese wrote:There are shops that will build springs for you, custom or original; they will be somewhat more expensive, but exactly what you want. Try Alcan in Grand Junction CO or Deaver in Santa Ana CA.

Regarding your body pieces, if you need inner front fenders, I believe you can make the inners for just about any year of Wagoneer or J-truck work for you. If you look in the parts for sale forums here and at IFSJA, you may find someone with these inners to sell that will ship to you. For other stuff, I would suggest you fabricate the pieces you need to repair whatever holes and rust you have. Look here http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=121305 for an example of fixing the corrugated floors with repair parts from a Chevrolet truck..

Not sure how different the gas tank for a '68 is from a '70 - MTS sells a plastic tank for a '70 that I suspect would work. http://www.mtscompany.com/J-truck.htm Look at part # 0020. In the parts catalog, there is only one drawing of fuel tanks for all Wagoneers, 1963-73. Is your Jeep a 327 or 350?
Thanks for the suggestions. I'd prefer a 2" lift, but 4" was all I could find. I'll look into these sources to see what can be made, how much, and if they'll ship.

Yes, inner front fenders don't have to be 1968-era specific. So that helps. Jeep Recylers have a set and they're ok, but they haven't answered my inquires on shipping (if they prefer APO or int'l - and cost).

Will look into gas tank options - thanks. The Jeep has a 350.

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

This is my 88 on a 4” bds lift that was installed in ‘05. It sits perfect for a wagoneer IMO. 32” bridgestones fit nicely. I think they should have come set up that way.

I kept the same lift in the J20 axles with the sidetrack flares. Still got to get wheels and tires sorted. pic is with a set of 2500HD wheels/tires i had from my truck..

Before:

Current:
Last edited by jpswapmohn on Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

Topic author
Jetscuh

Post by Jetscuh »

jpswapmohn wrote:This is my 88 on a 4” bds lift that was installed in ‘05. It sits perfect for a wagoneer IMO. 32” bridgestones fit nicely. I think they should have come set up that way.

I kept the same lift in the J20 axles with the sidetrack flares. Still got to get wheels and tires sorted. pic is with a set of 2500HD wheels/tires i had from my truck..

Before:
https://imgbox.com/GiCqvVV3

Current:
https://imgbox.com/KfNlRorO
Nice!

That's mostly what I've heard - that the 4" is the perfect height for a Wagoneer.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I spent 2 years at Bitburg AB in the '90s. My understanding is that a German Road Registered vehicle has to be OEM=you can only run the oem suspenssion, largest oem tires, etc. However, the GIs could run what they brung.