Yeah or nay

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Xplitive

Yeah or nay

Post by Xplitive »

Have a trip coming up and will be driving solo.
Thought crossed my mind to drive the ‘89 waggy.
The time is never right and figure, WTH.
It’s 2K miles one way and will be going both ways.
A couple of things stand in my way.
1) I’d love to install the TBi system I have but need a chip and would be hitting the road ASAP after install.
2) occasional clunk/thunk under the drivers feet.
3) back window just started acting up. goes down fine, needs assist by pulling up on the passenger side.
4) driver rear drum has been dragging, gets hot and ebrake is not holding.
5) personal appointments on both ends of the trip.

Waggy sat for years with previous owner. At that time it was subject to emissions and didn’t pass. Fast forward 9-10 years, its no longer required to have emissions but the owner passed. Mechanical seems fine with 95K miles total and 6k on engine rebuild done by PO. Replaced everything rubber and the cooling system. Transmission bolts were loose and drained out over the years. I count that as my trans flush, we just tightened up the pan bolts and added oil.
Erik
1989 GW, 31s on rancho front and general spring rear

kZ900Jim

Re: Yeah or nay

Post by kZ900Jim »

I think you listed your top 5 reasons to not drive it.. unless your insurance covers towing...
'Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt.

Naivete in adults is often Charming, but when coupled with vanity it is indistinguishable from stupidity.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Yeah, sounds like this is not the time. TBI takes time to get right. Mechanical issues will only get worse, not better. And it sounds like its time sensitive. So I would take something with known reliability.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

Sigh... adulting is hard.
Yeah, the appointments are the real obstacles and learning tbi. I can get through the other stuff.
Erik

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Meh, I’ll be the moron and say “go for it!”
It ain’t yours until it makes you cuss it.
I would leave the injection for another time. If you’re not sure about the carb, rebuild it or buy a new one.
The rear window is irrelevant. 4/60 AC works enough for me as long as I’m not in bumper to bumper traffic.
Crawl under and find out what is making the noise. Especially check the front drive shaft cv end. People always forget to lube them.
Pull the rear drums and go through the brakes. Not hard or costly.
Nothing leaves a lasting impression and good/bad memories like risking a little on a road trip. I’ve done many stupid ones over the years and surprises can come from anywhere, even a “reliable” vehicle can have issues.
As finicky as my Waggy is to drive I would still make a coast to coast run if I had no choice. For me it would be the excessive cost of fuel. Most everything else can be fixed road side.

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

1) I’d love to install the TBi system I have but need a chip and would be hitting the road ASAP after install.
Why do you need TBI? Does it run ok on the carb? (If so, just run a carb!)
2) occasional clunk/thunk under the drivers feet.
You'd need to figure this out. Front driveshaft U joint? (If so, lube and you should be good to go)
3) back window just started acting up. goes down fine, needs assist by pulling up on the passenger side.
Just leave your window up for the trip.
4) driver rear drum has been dragging, gets hot and ebrake is not holding.
This is an easy fix.
5) personal appointments on both ends of the trip.

Overall, number one is the only one that makes me worry. If your rig drives ok, don't worry about TBI. If it doesn't, then you might not want to take it.

EDIT: It looks like I'm just copying everything that Ted said.
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

brielly
Vendor

Post by brielly »

At the very least you'll need to address the brake drum issue and clunk under your feet. I'd drive something else for this trip.
82 Cherokee 258 w/ mopar fuel injection, ax-15
Fiberglass Rhino Grille reproductions for sale. See my post in the vendors section or contact me rrielly@verizon.net

deckroid

Post by deckroid »

I say ...

If it runs and if you have AAA, cell phone reception, and are ok with renting a car if it goes askew, go for it!

Honestly, unless it catches fire, I would consider it a win.
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

Topic author
Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

Haha, yeah I would do it except for the tight timeline.
I think I saw in lumpski’s thread he put on 15K miles in one year. I hope to start logging some mileage soon.
Erik

letank

Post by letank »

A 2k one way is a lot to ask for... the usual test drive is not to go over the AAA 100mile free towing for the premium membership fee.

It is an adventure, and as said, at least check the brakes and the clunk.

Your are better off with a rental with working AC and better gas mileage, I have chosen that option a few times with no regrets.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Xplitive wrote:Haha, yeah I would do it except for the tight timeline.
I think I saw in lumpski’s thread he put on 15K miles in one year. I hope to start logging some mileage soon.

Ive had my 90 for 3 years.. i got it with 112k miles. It has 136k now. So in 3 years ive put on 24k miles. I finally had a break down a week ago. The smaller hose on the waterpump going to the thermostat blew. Luckily it happened 10 min from my house and a friend took me to the autoparts store.. I had to go in the back and look through 300 hoses to find the right U shaped hose.

I think ill replace the other hoses too.

But ill be honest ive done alot of work to my jeep.. the first year ins half i put 4500$ into repairing and replacing things on it. Granted i never touched the drive train but yea.

But even for me 2k miles is alot lol.. the furthest ive driven mine in one day though was about 300 miles and i never had a issue. My a.c also works fine too.

But for your jeep..

1. Dont worry sbout the windows when your just driving

2. Tbi why do that now ? Drive it with the carb if it runs fine

3. Fix the drum brakes before you go.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

will e

Post by will e »

You need to fix that drum for sure. You will be putting some serious mileage on it each day.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge