What Fuel Injection Conversion Kit To Get?

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
TheFlamingHips

What Fuel Injection Conversion Kit To Get?

Post by TheFlamingHips »

Hey all.

I have a 1990 GW and I'm looking into getting a fuel injection kit installed. I did research online and ended up more confused than anything. I have very limited knowledge about the motor for the GW so any help would be appreciated.

I've noticed fuel injection kits range from $600-$3000+. I've seen Howell, Sniper and Holley talked about lots. I also noticed Team Grand Wagoneer dot com was expensive but seemed to include lots of gear I'd need?

My questions are:

What are the best fuel injection kits for a 1990 GW?

Do different kits do different things or are they all doing the same thing? If so, why such different price points?

Would you suggest I get a professional to install this with my limited knowledge of motors, carbs...etc or is it an easy install?

I'd need it to be California legal as I live in LA. Do all kits offer CA legal options?

Cheers in advance.
Ben

ShagWagon

Re: What Fuel Injection Conversion Kit To Get?

Post by ShagWagon »

Fitech or Holley

Have a mechanic do it with an in tank fuel pump.

I think Howell is the only California certified one but I don’t know I don’t live there and the others may have been added...
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Howell is the only bolt on kit that is California legal. You can make other kits legal, but you have to go to a referee station to have it certified.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

I can’t understand why California doesn’t make all FI kits legal.

Seems it would make too much sense to have more safer, greener and more efficient vehicles.

If they really cared about clean air and the environment. I’m just saying...

You really should vote them all out.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

ShagWagon wrote:I can’t understand why California doesn’t make all FI kits legal.

Seems it would make too much sense to have more safer, greener and more efficient vehicles.

If they really cared about clean air and the environment. I’m just saying...

You really should vote them all out.
1: CARB is not voted in.

2: There are valid reasons for having at least some certification for EFI kits.

3: CA is not the only state that requires the kits to be legal.

EFI certainly can be cleaner than a carb. But it can also be less clean. It all comes down to the programming. But the main reason every kit isn't legal is because they have no provisions for EGR or vapor recovery. These are both important when it comes to emissions.

The big issue is what it cost to become CARB certified. If the cost was less, there would be a lot more legal turn key options.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
TheFlamingHips

Post by TheFlamingHips »

Thanks for the info guys. It's really helpful. I found this Howell one that says it is Cal legal:

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/Howell-Fuel-I ... p_550.html

Would I still need to take this to a referee station to have it certified?

babywag

Post by babywag »

Nope, CA legal w/ EO# sticker = normal smog testing and NO referee visit.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

TheFlamingHips wrote:Thanks for the info guys. It's really helpful. I found this Howell one that says it is Cal legal:

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/Howell-Fuel-I ... p_550.html

Would I still need to take this to a referee station to have it certified?
As babywag said, just a normal smog test. The whole point of having it be certified is that you don't have to jump through any hoops.
2017 JKU Rubicon

GI-John

Post by GI-John »

I just completed a Holley Sniper/Hyperspark installation with an In-Tank pump. Pretty simple if you take your time.
I've tried different carbs, messed with the timing, played with vacuum. I admit I'm a pretty good shade-tree mechanic, but I haven't been able to dial in the carb/distributor like some are able to, and I don't have any friends who do. It was a constant source of frustration.
Maybe it's Voodoo, I don't know.
I want to turn the key and drive, not dink around with adjustments every month.
I have to say that without a doubt that this is THE BEST modification I've done to my Jeep. It runs like a completely different vehicle now. Acceleration is phenomenal; it starts and purrs. I do not have accurate mileage gains to post, but I really don't care. I'm very happy with my decision.
There are custom tuners that will read your data logs and remote tune your beast for around 250.00 I'll try that later after I wipe the smile off of my face.
Hope this helps!

babywag

Post by babywag »

GI-John wrote:I just completed a Holley Sniper/Hyperspark installation with an In-Tank pump. Pretty simple if you take your time.
I've tried different carbs, messed with the timing, played with vacuum. I admit I'm a pretty good shade-tree mechanic, but I haven't been able to dial in the carb/distributor like some are able to, and I don't have any friends who do. It was a constant source of frustration.
Maybe it's Voodoo, I don't know.
I want to turn the key and drive, not dink around with adjustments every month.
I have to say that without a doubt that this is THE BEST modification I've done to my Jeep. It runs like a completely different vehicle now. Acceleration is phenomenal; it starts and purrs. I do not have accurate mileage gains to post, but I really don't care. I'm very happy with my decision.
There are custom tuners that will read your data logs and remote tune your beast for around 250.00 I'll try that later after I wipe the smile off of my face.
Hope this helps!
TheFlamingHips wrote: I'd need it to be California legal as I live in LA. Do all kits offer CA legal options?
Unfortunately, no way a Holley Sniper system would be allowed in CA on a 90GW
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

GI-John

Post by GI-John »

Well that sucks.

geminiroq

Post by geminiroq »

Not to high jack-this thread....but I am in California too and want to put an EFI on my 79 cherk.

I guess Howell would be my only option?

babywag

Post by babywag »

You can DIY a GM TBI system on your own, then visit a referee.
Not a choice/option for most though.
Howell is just a GM system they paid the $$ for an EO# so it's CA legal.

MSD Atomic TBI does have an EO# but NOT for a Jeep. 87-older chevy vehicles.
A referee "might" work with you to allow but you would need to talk to them BEFORE the install.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Isn’t holley and fitech better than Howell nowadays?

Wouldn’t a government someone who so called cares about Air quality and is in charge of such things want a better running engine to pollute less and use less fuel?

I feel bad for you guys...

babywag

Post by babywag »

ShagWagon wrote:Isn’t holley and fitech better than Howell nowadays?

Wouldn’t a government someone who so called cares about Air quality and is in charge of such things want a better running engine to pollute less and use less fuel?

I feel bad for you guys...
no need to feel bad for us poor CA folks

they're prettier/fancier
uses a wb vs nb o2
fitech tuning capability is not great

The gm stuff while old is a very good system.
Was used on millions of vehicles and lots of engineering went into them.
Have excellent tuning support and has been powering crazy hp engines for decades.
Can get parts anywhere used/new so in the rare occurrence of an issue you're not stranded/SOL

All will easily get the job done if tuned properly.
fitech/sniper are more expensive to install.

just my .02
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

geminiroq

Post by geminiroq »

Hmmmm....if someone could get a CARB referee to agree to the MSD Atomic....is this a better choice than the Howell?

RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

That’s not how it works unfortunately
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power

babywag

Post by babywag »

geminiroq wrote:Hmmmm....if someone could get a CARB referee to agree to the MSD Atomic....is this a better choice than the Howell?
In my opinion no, not better but it would do the job.

Honestly the GM system is hard to beat.
From an emissions standpoint ability to control the vapor canister and egr(with mods) of Howell(GM) system
No aftermarket systems will do that.
The Howell can also be modded for stealth timing control using stock Duraspark distributor and a GM TBI module.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

geminiroq

Post by geminiroq »

Got it....Howell it is!

Thanks Tony!

acct21

Post by acct21 »

babywag wrote:
geminiroq wrote:Honestly the GM system is hard to beat.
From an emissions standpoint ability to control the vapor canister and egr(with mods) of Howell(GM) system
No aftermarket systems will do that.
You can get the Sniper to control the vapor canister purge and the vacuum to the EGR transducer -- but just on/off at a engine temp range. Not a sophisticated system (works pretty much like the OEM CTO switch), but it beats having the canister try and purge at startup. Just uses an off-the-shelf canister purge solenoid from mid-90s GM.
1990 GW with HD towing package -- everything works! (today, anyway)