New Member 1988 Grand Wagoneer 350 swap

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
badbrains

New Member 1988 Grand Wagoneer 350 swap

Post by badbrains »

Hello all. I am new to this site but not new to wagoneers (Have owned 3 between me and my wife) . I purchased my current one with only 73,000 original miles. No rust and very nice garage kept condition. It was running great untill the rear main seal gave up and found out the block was missing a small piece that hodls the seal in place. I just pulled the engine and am thinking about a roller 5.7 crate motor with Holley sniper fuel injection. I dont really want to go through the process of doing a 5.3 swap . My tranny and transfer case seems good . I am building a grocery getter for the wife. She loves these trucks. Does anyone have any input or advice on this ?

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: New Member 1988 Grand Wagoneer 350 swap

Post by Stuka »

Adapter plates are available for bolting a SBC to the AMC 727. But I am not sure if they work on Vortec engines. You would need to call Novak and ask them, they would know best. You can also buy engine mount adapters for a SBC. But as I recall Vortec blocks used different mounts. And well, I guess I am assuming the roller crate engine is vortec based. But I know there are many companies that offer different blocks for different applications. No doubt you can find one that makes for an easier swap.

Otherwise your plan should work fine.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

derf

Post by derf »

The transmission mount for a chevy is the same between a vortec and pre-vortec small block. The vortec just did changes internal to the engine/heads. The transmission mounting surface and flywheel didn't change (outside of dealing with internal or external balance engines which chevy switched between over the years).

Adapting a GM engine to an AMC transmission bellhousing is a matter of getting the adapter ring and flywheel from a place like Novak or Advance Adapters. Getting the starter lined up right is probably the most complicated part.

Motor mounts are easy to find. Getting the kickdown linkage on the transmission set up is straightforward if a little involved.

Routing the exhaust can be an adventure but any competent exhaust shop can fab up what you need.

Topic author
badbrains

Post by badbrains »

Update on build. I found a new 5.7 crate motor Vortec heads and all new pulleys serpentine setup . I have it on engine stand now with a new aluminum Weiand intake ,Holley sniper fuel injection and a Holley sniper plug and play distributor. Adaptor for the Chevy to 727 and motor mounts will be here tomorrow. I have the engine bay cleaned up and doing all new body mounts now. I had to go to my machine shop and bring home the plasma cutter and mig welder to get to the nuts to remove the body bolts. Not fun but totally needed. I will start dropping the gas tank soon.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I used a hole saw through the floor then drilled through the bolts. From the forming process the bolts were concave on the end so it centered the drill. After drilling out to close to the root diameter of the threads they unscrewed.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
badbrains

Post by badbrains »

Just removed the gas tank today. Came out way easier than I expected. No rust and all bolts gave up with no problems. I am about to run a 3/8 stainless fuel return line from tank to the new Holley sniper fuel injection. Does anyone know where to install the bulkhead fitting? There are two lines on top of the sending unit and two other lines that may be a vent and possibly some emissions line . There is also a line coming off the top of transmission that I would like to know what is does and can I just plug it off.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Vent line on the trans? If so don't plug it.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
badbrains

Post by badbrains »

Working on installing new body mounts. This job is a pita! I had to break out the plasma cutter, welder , sawzall , die grinder and several other tools of destruction. I got one side done today . Turned out great . This job is not for someone that gives up quickly!

acct21

Post by acct21 »

One of the lines on the sending unit (the larger one) is the feed. The smaller is the return. It will be 1/4" -- so some have used a small cutoff wheel/die grinder to take that line off the top of the sender, and drill it out for a larger fitting.

The other two lines on top of your tank are both rollover valve/vents. They are identical. Replace them (and the grommets) while you have the tank down.

If you are replacing your sender, make sure you extend the pickup tube to the bottom of the tank. The newer aftermarket senders have pickup tubes that are about 2" shorter than OEM.

What are you doing for the feed? The sender is a 5/16" line.
1990 GW with HD towing package -- everything works! (today, anyway)

Topic author
badbrains

Post by badbrains »

I have not gotten that far yet. I appreciate your posting that information. I have restored many vehicles but this is the first time I have done a fuel injection swap. I will replace the fuel sender and take your advise on the extended line and cutting the small line and replacing with a bulkhead fitting for the return. Do I need to keep the charcoal canister?

acct21

Post by acct21 »

I kept my charcoal canister when I installed my Sniper -- only because it (and all the lines) were new and functioning. I have it plumbed exactly as before (minus the bowl vent line). Have plans to install a solenoid off a later GM system to trigger the purge on the canister once it's warmed up (controlled by the EFI).

Since the gas tank vents through the canister, it really cuts down on the gas smell coming from under the hood.

Topic author
badbrains

Post by badbrains »

That’s a good reason to keep it . Mine is original and only 76xxx miles so I hope it’s still ok but it is from 1988 !

Fred03

Post by Fred03 »

acct21 wrote:I kept my charcoal canister when I installed my Sniper -- only because it (and all the lines) were new and functioning. I have it plumbed exactly as before (minus the bowl vent line). Have plans to install a solenoid off a later GM system to trigger the purge on the canister once it's warmed up (controlled by the EFI).
transfers Dieppe
Since the gas tank vents through the canister, it really cuts down on the gas smell coming from under the hood.
I though thtah you're right

acct21

Post by acct21 »

Mine is original and only 76xxx miles so I hope it’s still ok but it is from 1988 !
Lots of options out there if yours isn't any good. Mine's off an early 80s GM.

Topic author
badbrains

Post by badbrains »

I am back on the 350 VORTEC Sniper efi swap. Just got the engine put in and all bolted up to NOVAK adaptors. Worked out great so far. Next step is installing an intank fuel pump with 3/8 feed and return lines. I read on here someone mentioned Novak has a drop in unit ,pump and sender in one that requires no mods to the tank. Anyone have experience with that unit?

Topic author
badbrains

Post by badbrains »

Any other thoughts on how to hook up the charcoal canister ? I have Holley sniper fuel injection . Not sure where the lines go. It looks like there is a line from the gas tank and one from the transmission.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Even with the engine swapped a 350, the factory service manual will help you. If it were my Jeep, the first thing I'd do is get ahold of the factory manual (the TSM). The canister plumbing is explained there. If you look at the 1982 manual at oljeep.com, there is some text explaining the vapor recovery system, which is basically the same for 1988. Realize that the systems and plumbing change a lot year to year in this era, and you can't use the earlier manual for this without knowing in advance how the vapor recovery works and what it would be for each of these years.

The line from the transmission is a vent that goes high in the engine compartment, keeping out water when fording. Unlikely it's connected to the vapor recovery, though that may be something special for 1988. Normally there is a line from the gas tank, and 3 lines in the engine compartment - purge to the PCV line, manifold vacuum (purge signal), and bowl vent. With EFI you can cap the bowl vent, since there is no bowl with EFI.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
badbrains

Post by badbrains »

Why do I need the canister ? My 68 Bronco does not have one and I never smell gas ,it’s vented at the gas cap . Can’t I just put some differential vents on the hard lines from the Gas tank ? They come up to the firewall . I can hook the PCV straight to the Holley sniper at the base . The dizzy is a hyper spark so no vac advance is needed .