Question re: AC compressor for 1988 Grand Wagoneer

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
riozilla

Question re: AC compressor for 1988 Grand Wagoneer

Post by riozilla »

Hi everyone, new owner and member of the Jeep family here.

I just purchased a 1988 Grand Wagoneer that needs a new AC compressor. I see that this one says that it may work in a late model 1988 even though it says 1989 and up. I have the 5.9l v8. Can you please let me know if this is the correct for my year?

https://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/a-c-c ... 1989-1991/

Pic of existing compressor attached. I will also be replacing the dryer. Thanks for your help in advance. Wanted to ask before I ordered.
A1B4A268-68BA-425B-9011-AA2C4C8DDB9B.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SJTD

Re: Question re: AC compressor for 1988 Grand Wagoneer

Post by SJTD »

Yours has a York. The Sanden is not a direct replacement. Wont fit the mounts.

If you get the correct brackets the Sanden is a better pump. I would verify that the vendor is selling a genuine Sanden made by Sanden and not a copy.

Be aware that they don't have a good reputation for customer support. If it fails good luck with the warranty.

Yours most likely has the original expensive and hard to find R12. If you convert to R134a you need to flush your system to remove the mineral oil and use PAG oil. A new dryer is required. If you go that route buy a pump intended for 134 so it comes with the correct oil.

Prolly a good idea to make new hoses to replace the 30 year old ones.
Last edited by SJTD on Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
riozilla

Post by riozilla »

Great, thank you for the response. I am working on assembling all of that now.

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

My advice is to find a good local A/C shop. They can look at the system and get you what you need. Should back it on warranty issues as well. You can get the bracket online. Something like this is what I used:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/YORK-TECUMSEH- ... 0084!US!-1

Had to shift the bracket all the way forward and clock the sanden 90 degrees to clear the passenger valve cover, but the pulley lined up well.

Once again though, I had a recommendation from a local A/C shop on which Sanden to go with.

Xplitive

Post by Xplitive »

Most of the York to sanden adapters are made by UAC, sold by various companies at various insane prices. That eBay one looks exactly like the one I bought for much less from eBay seller pit stop auto. When I got it, and most parts I ordered online to rehab my ‘89 ac, they were manufactured by UAC - a global corporation. Just be sure it has slots for position adjustment and the corners cut at an angle for clearance (ie like the one pictured).

Since my system was a huge unknown, I just took the dive and rebuilt the entire thing. Along the way, discovered most stuff seemed to be original, like the modine condenser, evaporator, etc.

Check your hoses - are they already barrier ac hoses? If so, I’d clean out the hoses, carefully cut/remove the compressor side fittings off (which are probably tube o) and refit correct fittings for/and a sanden 4663 compressor. The bottom one in your picture looks like a later addition based on the clamp. If the hoses need to be remade, the large hose (escaping my brain if that is the suction or discharge) has a 90 degree fitting for the evaporator that is going be your next hurdle.

You can get all other parts from rockauto. If you need to buy a new evaporator (might as well...) A new evaporator has another special surprise - remove the valve core on the external equalizer port. If left in place, it will not permit your external expansion valve to work properly. Ask me how I know.

I made a new liquid line but the old (original) one was already reduced diameter barrier from the factory and probably can be reused since that material doesn’t seem to really ‘wear out’.
Erik
1989 GW, 31s on rancho front and general spring rear