get to ½ tank gas and '88GW will stall

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

tedlovesjeeps71

get to ½ tank gas and '88GW will stall

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

So I got the sending unit out. Dropped the tape measure into the tank and measured to about where the flange of the sending unit mates to the tank. Roughly 10 3/4"a
Then I put the tape to the sending unit. Minus the strainer (which does nothing to help draw fuel) I get about 8 1/4"s. 2.5"a short. Image
So now I’m on the hunt for some 3/8 hose. Figures I have some 1/4”.

So, the only piece of 3/8s I had was for a fuel filter. I did have some 3/8 metal line so I got a little creative. Hopefully this helps but I won’t know until it’s back together. Image
That may take a bit as I was trying to put the newly modified sending unit back in and the damn float popped off into the tank. ImageImageImage
Now I have to scratch my head to find a way to get a non-metallic float out.

babywag

Re: get to ½ tank gas and '88GW will stall

Post by babywag »

Fashion a scoop w/ a coat hanger...
Never ceases to amaze me that most aftermarket parts are poor excuses or just plain crap.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

tedlovesjeeps71

babywag wrote:Fashion a scoop w/ a coat hanger...
Never ceases to amaze me that most aftermarket parts are poor excuses or just plain crap.
Good idea. I raided the kitchen utensil drawer for stuff to try. Tongs, pasta spoon, even chop sticks. The problem was the float only came into view twice as the Jeep was off camber and a little downhill. I felt like I was ice fishing but the floater fish don’t bite. Haha. As there is more than a half a tank of fuel and only a small opening to try and catch it, I’m going to have to wait for next weekend to try again. I’ll siphon out most of the fuel and maybe I can park so the float stays near the hole. I like your wire hanger idea. If I can just keep it up near the opening maybe I can fish it back through. I hope I don’t have to drop the tank to get it out. That would suck.
And I agree.... how do you manufacture a part so obviously incorrect?

acct21

Post by acct21 »

Ted be careful with that -- the extra weight of the 3/8" hose, metal line and filter screen may be enough to all slide off that slick sender/pickup tube. Even with the clamp tightened down I could pull the hose off the pickup tube with little effort. Submerged it's going to be lubricated by gasoline, and subject to a lot of vibrations. I finally flared mine as a last resort, but it's on for good now.

Tony, see how short the replacements are now? Even putting a screen on that touches the bottom, you're still going to suck air with 1/4 tank left. Worse if running FI, since it can momentarily cavitate with even more fuel than that in the tank. They simply have to be extended like Ted and I did. It's awful.
1990 GW with HD towing package -- everything works! (today, anyway)

tedlovesjeeps71

acct21 wrote:Ted be careful with that -- the extra weight of the 3/8" hose, metal line and filter screen may be enough to all slide off that slick sender/pickup tube. Even with the clamp tightened down I could pull the hose off the pickup tube with little effort. Submerged it's going to be lubricated by gasoline, and subject to a lot of vibrations. I finally flared mine as a last resort, but it's on for good now.

Tony, see how short the replacements are now? Even putting a screen on that touches the bottom, you're still going to suck air with 1/4 tank left. Worse if running FI, since it can momentarily cavitate with even more fuel than that in the tank. They simply have to be extended like Ted and I did. It's awful.
Thanks for the warning and I agree. Unfortunately my flaring stuff is out at storage and I have to make do with what’s crammed in here at the apartment. When I go to storage next I’ll get what I need to fix it better. Hopefully I can get the float out then as well.

acct21

Post by acct21 »

I rented mine for free from Autozone. Used the 5/16 mandrel to just put the slightest bubble flare on it
1990 GW with HD towing package -- everything works! (today, anyway)

tedlovesjeeps71

acct21 wrote:I rented mine for free from Autozone. Used the 5/16 mandrel to just put the slightest bubble flare on it
Yeah... that’s the kind of thing that frustrates me about being stuck in this apartment. I have most tools and many parts for even odd ball fixes like this but none of it is easily accessible. We are trying to get into a house but that’s a bit of a struggle.

tedlovesjeeps71

Small update. After the sending unit extension last weekend I filled up for the week ahead. I’d usually get two days before the gauge began dancing and would have to fill up the third as sudden stops would result in likely stalls.
I made it all week to and from work, no fill up. Drove down to pick up the wife this morning, still not empty. No idea how much longer I will get but I have the 5 gallon gas can full for when it does die.

At fill up:

Hopefully it makes it home so I can go fishing for the float before filling again. Fingers crossed.

Topic author
pjwoody88

Post by pjwoody88 »

Thanks everyone for the info. I decided to install the blazer tank. How did you guys solve the issue of the 2” to 1” fill line?

tedlovesjeeps71

Smart move. I just spent almost 4, very frustrating hours trying to fish out that #*?’38;&( sending unit float. Only saw it 4 times in that time and almost had it once. I quit.
It’ll stay in there until I can either drop the tank or go with the suburban option.

nwkaustin

Post by nwkaustin »

Does anyone make a replacement gas tank to solve this problem. I feel like there must be someone that makes custom gas tanks to help resolve this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

melford72

Post by melford72 »

Has anyone tried Holley Hydramat to solve this problem? https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/hydramat/

How long does Hydramat last? It appears to be marketed more as a short term fuel supply solution for race cars than something you’d put in your dd.
70 Custom Special
Not running at the moment, but LMG/4L60e in the works! :mrgreen:

Previously, 72 Wagoneer
Carbed, Cammed, and Lifted

nwkaustin

Post by nwkaustin »

melford72 wrote:Has anyone tried Holley Hydramat to solve this problem? https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/hydramat/

How long does Hydramat last? It appears to be marketed more as a short term fuel supply solution for race cars than something you’d put in your dd.
This looks interesting. Adding myself to follow along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

I think I am having the same issue with my tank. Will probably drop it in the near future and check the depth of the sending unit vs. the tank.

Get to about a 1/4 tank and pump starts to starve for fuel when I come to a stop. Annoying to have to put in 12-13 gallons every fill up and run basically almost a half tank of gas all the time at least.

tedlovesjeeps71

1979bettywhite wrote:I think I am having the same issue with my tank. Will probably drop it in the near future and check the depth of the sending unit vs. the tank.

Get to about a 1/4 tank and pump starts to starve for fuel when I come to a stop. Annoying to have to put in 12-13 gallons every fill up and run basically almost a half tank of gas all the time at least.
Does yours not have the round access plate in the back?

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Nope, sadly it does not.

tedlovesjeeps71

Oh, that really sucks. Sorry. Probably too nice to cut one in?. Much easier to work from the top.

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Yeah, I am probably not going to do that. So dropping the tank soon. That should be fun.

Mikel

Post by Mikel »

What about a buffer tank after the pump?

The tank would have a considerable internal volume and both the inlet and outlet would be at the bottom. When pressurized, the internal air would act as a spring, providing fuel pressure for short periods while the pump is sucking air.

The only problem I see is with longer fuel system priming times. But I bet a check valve would shorten that time...

Mikel

Post by Mikel »

Duplicate
Last edited by Mikel on Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.