Grand Wagoneer center cap question

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
80Limited

Grand Wagoneer center cap question

Post by 80Limited »

I am missing a couple center caps. I would like to have a set of 5. The ones I have found are pretty beat up or really expensive. Instead of going that route I was thinking of making my own.

Does anyone know what metal they used to make these? Are they just a generic pot metal or zinc?

My plan was to cast them and see if that Eastwood chrome paint would work if not then get them powder coated and painted.
Thanks, Jeff

bwwhaler

Re: Grand Wagoneer center cap question

Post by bwwhaler »

I believe they used the cheapest pot metal they could get, that's funny, I was thinking the same thing, if someone could just make some new ones, they would sell like hotcakes. Hopefully, someone will come up with something at some point, getting impossible to find good ones anymore, along with hood ornaments.
1987 GW 360/727/229 Performer intake Holley 670 32's 4" BJ's Springs CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness

Topic author
80Limited

Post by 80Limited »

That’s what I figured, it was pretty cheap stuff. I was also thinking about casting the hood ornaments as well.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

They do sell new ones rechromed...and they are expensive as hell.

Teamgrandwagoneer.com has brand new ones.. unless they stopped selling them... but i sware i saw them on there...

On ebay someone in japan keeps selling (NOS) hood ornaments as well.. they claim they are new old stock... but because i always see thrm on ebay i know damn well they are reproductions...and this japanese guy is making a killing on them.

Hell i sold like 5 old ones for 200$ a pop

Problem with the hood ornament it isnt just casting.. it need chromed a spring yo be put on and the jeep emblem and a glass like cover over it.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
80Limited

Post by 80Limited »

I know the are really expensive, that’s why I would try my hand in replicating them. I have some ideas for the hood ornaments and center caps kicking around in my head.