SS brake lines?

Modified FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
LMJ20

SS brake lines?

Post by LMJ20 »

I have access to all kinds of stainless steel hard line and nice benders. I’m wondering what issues I might run into trying to run stainless hard lines for my brakes? One issue I can see is that it’s nearly impossible to flare this stuff. Can I use swagelock fittings?

tgreese

Re: SS break lines?

Post by tgreese »

$25 for a 25' roll of 3/16" Nicopp on eBay. Seems foolish to make your job so much more difficult by using stainless.

Even Amazon has it now - https://www.amazon.com/Roll-Copper-Nick ... +line+3+16

Are Swageloks DOT approved? Doubtful. You'd be taking on both risk and liability to substitute for the flare fittings.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Yeah, main issue with stainless is that its not very malleable. So typically requires better tools to flare, and bend. There are tools that will do it, as its not uncommon to use stainless in the hotrod world.

I am not sure if swageloks are considered "safe" to use for brakes or not. A google search shows some people are using them, but thats kind of anecdotal.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
LMJ20

Post by LMJ20 »

Reason I’m considering it is because I get the tubing free. I have no problem bending the material. Heck, I can write my name with the benders I have. The swegloks I use are rated for 11,000psi.
Cruzing around the internet last night I found these. And they come in 1/2” also, so now I’m considering running my fuel lines like this to. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cecil14

Re: SS brake lines?

Post by Cecil14 »

By the time you buy fittings, are you really saving much over getting a roll of nicopp and flaring it properly? Honestly the last time I looked, the tubing itself was by far the cheapest part of the equation.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

babywag

Post by babywag »

Unless ALL the fittings/adapters you will need are free as well I wouldn't bother w/ stainless.
If you are building a show truck sure go for it, but if it's a driver skip the hassle/expense.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

derf

Post by derf »

Yeah, some of the most expensive projects I've had are a result of someone giving me something for free.

Sometimes free just ain't worth it.

az chip

Post by az chip »

If you can write your name in stainless tubing (cursive?) why ask us? Just do it. I can bend a 90 in stainless. It won't work after, but I can.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
LMJ20

Post by LMJ20 »

az chip wrote:If you can write your name in stainless tubing (cursive?) why ask us? Just do it. I can bend a 90 in stainless. It won't work after, but I can.
ImageImageImageImage
I’ll probably play around with it once I pull the cab here in a few weeks. If it proves to be more of a pain than it’s worth I’ll just go with regular old ugly brake line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

babywag

Post by babywag »

I'm all for free stuff, but it generally winds up costing you more time and $ by the time it's done.
Pretty sure full stainless ready to install line kits are available for these for couple hundred bucks.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

I use stainless all the time for hydraulic lines (power steering mostly) there are different alloy's so good to know what you have, I use a flare station with 4000 lbs of pressure so no problem flaring but need to watch for splits in the flare and a double flare is not possible at least with equipment I have, Cheers

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

No double flaring in rockets, how about aircraft?

Does your machine flare by pushing in a die like the small hand held ones? Ones I'm familiar with have a cone shaped die that spins. The axis it spins on is offset from the center of the tube.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

tgreese wrote:$25 for a 25' roll of 3/16" Nicopp on eBay. Seems foolish to make your job so much more difficult by using stainless.
I love that stuff. My brake, clutch and fuel lines are made out it. Super easy to work with and holds up great over time.

As far as flaring stainless, check out the flaring tool by MasterCool. I have made stainless line for customers using that and had good success.
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

SJTD wrote:No double flaring in rockets, how about aircraft?

Does your machine flare by pushing in a die like the small hand held ones? Ones I'm familiar with have a cone shaped die that spins. The axis it spins on is offset from the center of the tube.
Yes works just like a handheld tube flare just a lot more pressure (tubesnhoses machine),double flares no problem with aluminum/copper/steel but SS can be brittle and crack or split also some SS tubing has a welded seam which has to be checked after flare for imperfections,
also use a handheld hydraulic flaring tool(for on the vehicle repair)and it also could do the job, all depends on the softness of the tubing you have,check out inlinetube.com they specialize in brake lines.
Last job I did on my airplane that involved tubing was to install an aux tank and all the tubing is aluminum and single flare,hope this helps,cheers

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Oops. Got that backerds.

The axis the machine spins on is concentric with the tube. It's the cone that's off center. These could flare 2" x 1/8" wall tubing.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.