Floor renewal

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
Holland Waggy

Floor renewal

Post by Holland Waggy »

Well, let’s say it was slightly necessary to make Some repairs to the floorpans. There were several holes in the corners and lots of water pooring in wile driving through puddles. Also the floormats were soaked and rotten. So, I' ve yanked everything out and cut all out that was rusted

ImageImageImage

And, offcourse, got Some surprises on the way.. Like in the corners before the rear arches. Someone had been having fun with bondo and other types of goo. So, I cut that part out as well and ordered the dog leg part.

All ended pretty well, it looks like the Titanic's hull now with the new plates in.

ImageImageImage

Ordered new floorcarpet an it looks brand new on the inside! Good to go for the next couple of years.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Gilbert Doggen

1978 Wagoneer, AMC360, TH400, Quadratrac, HEI Ignition, Headlight LED conversion,

SJTD

Re: Floor renewal

Post by SJTD »

Looks really good.

I'm always amazed at how the floor can be so bad but the supports underneath are still pretty good.

How did you seal the seam on the underside?

Where'd you get the carpet?

Did you clean out the air vents? They fill up with leaves and water overflows into the interior. That may have been the source of the rust since it seems it went up the firewall.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

GrandW

Post by GrandW »

Wow! Impressive work. That looks great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Very nice. Also -
SJTD wrote:Looks really good. ...How did you seal the seam on the underside?
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

That's impressive. If I am interpreting things correctly, it looks like you formed a flange on the edge of the floor replacement panels so that the flange overlaps the stock floor. Is that correct? I'm just asking because you see a lot of folks butt weld floor pans in, which seems fine, but this approach intrigued me because it looks so good. Obviously, I'm not a body man! :) (I'm also interested in how you sealed the seams underneath.)
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
Holland Waggy

Floor renewal

Post by Holland Waggy »

Thanx for all your compliments! I’ve finished the seams on the underside with a polyurethane automotive sealant called Sikaflex. Dont know if it’s available in the US under that name. But it sticks like hell and seals for life..

I certainly cleared out the airvents and found forty years of leaves clogging everything up. I’ve treated the inside with a waxoil-like product. I also placed 1/8 mesh stainless steel gauze in the bonnet grille.

I’ve used a handheld press to form an overlapping flange to the floarboards ans spotwelded them. Gives a cleaner finish and you get a lot less heat in the metal than with buttwelds.

Was a lot of work, but i’m rustproof now for the coming years.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Gilbert Doggen

1978 Wagoneer, AMC360, TH400, Quadratrac, HEI Ignition, Headlight LED conversion,

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

did the same thing to my 90 2 years ago.. Same exact rust in the corner by the back seat... Was all rotted out.. Just as bad as yours too.. Thank god its fixed though was a pain to cut and weld those weird angles by the bench seat.

Now thats its fixed.. that doesnt solve the water issue... you now need to soak the hell outs your doors and stuff eith the door panels off and see where the water is coming from or youll have the same issue again.. simply getting new door seals wont solve it..

For me.. my jeep was leaking behind the door pabels from the old weather plastic i had to make new plastic and glue it on and check and reglue and check again it kept leaking oadt the plastic.... then i found out my passengers quarter panel window was leaking draining water into the bench seat corner i just finished welding.

Mine doesnt leak from the vents by the feat... So check your doors.

Now mine is sealed up so tight it can monsoon out and be bone dry inside
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
Holland Waggy

Post by Holland Waggy »

Yes, the doors certainly are a pain in the #ss. It will be difficult to get the body waterproof but all small things will help. I'll give it a try with the watershields in the doors
Gilbert Doggen

DustinLangston

Post by DustinLangston »

This looks EXACTLY like my old 79 that I sold in Utah. Great work on those!
1982 Wagoneer Limited 5.3L Vortec 4L60E swap - finished/restored - sold - bought back - sold again
1979 Wagoneer 360 TH400 1339 QT - built into perfect daily driver - sold
1981 J10 Sportside Honcho - finished/restored - sold
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - 5.3L Vortec 6L80E swap - finished/restored - sold
1967 Super Wagoneer - sold, too much work
1978 J10 Golden Eagle - finished/restored - sold
1962 Rambler Classic Cross Country Wagon - current project, wife's daily driver - she'll never let me sell it

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I noticed like me you couldnt get those seat belt bolts off lol.. i had to cut my carpet off around em as well lol

Noticed you alco repaired the dog leg by the rear wheel well as well.. How did you protect the metal inside so it doesnt rust ?

My dog leg is rotten i cut one off from the junkyard but yea.

Why did you do spot welds on the metal vs complete welds ? Just curious

Topic author
Holland Waggy

Post by Holland Waggy »

candymancan wrote:I noticed like me you couldnt get those seat belt bolts off lol.. i had to cut my carpet off around em as well lol

Noticed you alco repaired the dog leg by the rear wheel well as well.. How did you protect the metal inside so it doesnt rust ?

My dog leg is rotten i cut one off from the junkyard but yea.

Why did you do spot welds on the metal vs complete welds ? Just curious
I've coated the inside with a penetrant primer that's really preventive for rust. After that I sprayed a waxoil like product in the hollow spaces behind.

The bolts for the seatbelts really are fused to the body, the ones in the center came loose, but i had to cut the carpet around the outer ones as well. :D

I used the spotwelds because of the heat build up in the floor panels. They don't buckle up and when you're butt welding you have to make really small welds to not overheat the surrounding material, which wouyld give you a row of spotwelds with holes in between them. Birdshit-welds.. The overlapping flanges give the same amount of sturdiness, you can make pretty big spotwelds of almost a 1/4".
Gilbert Doggen

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Oh i just did continous beads stopping every few inches to let it cool off so it doesnt warp and weld a diff spot while it cools d9wn.

Welding on the drivers side kinda sucked though with oil splattered underneeth i had to blow some fires out doing that lol.