2019 Countdown

For all discussions related to the annual FSJ invasion of Ouray

Moderators: shimniok, srobertsfsj

Topic author
derf

2019 Countdown

Post by derf »

I'm already thinking about next year.

I'll arrive on Sunday again, the 14th. Just 354 days to go. https://days.to/14-july/2019

357 days to the "official" start on Wednesday. https://days.to/17-july/2019

I already have my reservation for site 46a

will e

Re: 2019 Countdown

Post by will e »

Haha, I normally start this thread! And I am also already looking forward to next year.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
derf

Post by derf »

Yeah, you were slacking... :P

Simba

Post by Simba »

Man what took you guys so long! Looking forward to it too!
1976 Wagoneer. Lincoln, NE

suttonlive

Post by suttonlive »

I made my reservation before I left. Had a great time this year. Now that I know what to expect I will have a better time Next year. Thanks for all the hospitality shown to me and Madison. She had a great time the short time she was there. She got to spend the next three week + in Steamboat Springs doing a management internship there. She is in love with Colorado now.

CS
Suttonlive
'90 Grand Wagoneer - Nice mostly stock DD
'78 Cherokee Chief - 35" 6" Lift 401, TF727, d300 (Not original Drive train)
'76 Wagoneer Stock 360, t400 (Motor pulled. Will rise again)
'76 J-20 Stock LS Swap L92 6.2L, 6l80e, Atlas II
'68 Gladiator 327, 4-speed, survivor
'64 J-200 "FlatTop"Next project. Resto-Mod that me and my daughter work on. "on pause"
'79 Cherokee - Donor '64 j-200 Donor

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Just thinkin' about this earlier... Krista and I did our first OURAY FSJ Recon in 2000 with others from CFSJA in her dad's 401 Waggy. Next year... Next year will be the 20th anniversary! :fsj:
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

az chip

Post by az chip »

fulsizjeep wrote:Just thinkin' about this earlier... Krista and I did our first OURAY FSJ Recon in 2000 with others from CFSJA in her dad's 401 Waggy. Next year... Next year will be the 20th anniversary! :fsj:
Seems like 19. But that numbers stuff always gets me. :P
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I'm cheating... ;)

Flint Boardman

Topic author
derf

Post by derf »

Except that 2000 is your "0" anniversary. You don't get your first anniversary on the maiden trip.

It's the 20th annual trip but only the 19th anniversary of the first trip.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Literally. :lol:
Flint Boardman

rstep

Post by rstep »

I'm in for 2019.
1977 Cherokee Sold
I Don't own One
Stuff I Make.
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5620

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

rstep wrote:I'm in for 2019.
Heck I just hope I am still around in 2019

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I bet we are all hoping that Jerry. I sure am. :)
Flint Boardman

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

fulsizjeep wrote:I bet we are all hoping that Jerry. I sure am. :)
Why, I thank You.

Gadzooks2

Post by Gadzooks2 »

Newbie here, I have a few questions about the event next July. Does it start on Wednesday the 17th? If so what time do we need to show up. Where does it start? How much is the entry? Are there any hotels in town giving discounts. Is there a website I can find all this stuff out at? We drove through Ouray many years ago and it's been on our bucket list to return ever since.
Cheers!

will e

Post by will e »

Hi! Welcome to the site. Is that a Cherokee chop top in your avatar? Post up an into thread with pics!

Here is a site with some of the info you are interested in: http://www.fsjinvasion.org/

Eventually there will be an 'official' 2019 Ouray thread. Maybe. The FSJ Ouray invasion is notoriously non-organized. There is no official sign up. There are no entry fees. The runs are not organized in advance. There is no official trail leader. If you look at last years thread: http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 27&t=12970 You will see an effort to keep track of who is staying in which KOA site. Staying at the KOA is not required but many of us do this. There is a lot of hanging out with each other before and after the trail runs. Sometimes folks just hang out in camp all day. KOA used to hold a bunch of the sites towards the back of the KOA for us to help keep us clustered. I don't know if anyone arranged that with Dave, the KOA owner, for 2019. If you want to stay at the KOA go ahead and make your reservation now. Ask for one of the spots in the rear. You can see by last years map where most of us stay.

Some folks just show up without much fuss or communication. Other folks, usually driving XJ's, barely make it! (inside joke)

About the only rules are: you have to follow the KOA rules and your rig needs to have low range for the trail rides. Many people show up in something other than a FSJ, no worries.

Dates! Yes, it will 'start' on Wednesday and 'end' on Friday. These are the days with the most number of people and the most number of trail rides. Many of us show up earlier. I will be arriving on Sunday, along with Derf the OP of this topic. Another frequent attendee and I have a tradition on Monday morning of making eggs benedict. This started as a small group but I think last year we made more than 30! Everyone pitches in to help. It is one of the few events during the week that gets a 'sign up' request. This helps make sure we make enough sauce, have enough muffins and bacon. Eggs are usually not a problem, people often bring their own. I will post a sign up thread soon.

One of the nights we usually have a 'pot luck' and the previous years there has been a raffle as well. We will see how it goes this year.

Don't be put off by the unorganized nature of this event. It adds a certain casualness that we all enjoy. Low stress.
Last edited by will e on Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
derf

Post by derf »

Will E covered most of it already.

It's a very casual event. This is the exact opposite of an organized event. About the only real organization is that it's on the same week every year. Some people show up early. Some people show up later. Some people leave early. Some stay later. There will be FSJs there from Sunday the 14th through Sunday the 21st. Show up and join us for whatever days you want.

We don't have any deals with hotels or anything. You're welcome to hang out with the group at the KOA all you like, even if you choose a hotel/condo.

Trail runs are mostly a "who feels like running up to <insert trail here> today?" kind of arrangement. Some people may be organized enough early in the week to say "we should get a group together to run <insert trail here> on <insert day here>" but plans like that are only set in water, not concrete.

A CB radio would be a good thing to bring since most people in the regular group have them. If you're so inclined, several of us run Ham radios so you wouldn't be alone. But don't feel obligated if that doesn't float your boat.

will e

Post by will e »

Gadzooks2.. me again. :) Often times our little unorganized 'invasion' happens at the same time as the Toyota FJ Summit. 2019 is no exception.

https://www.fjsummit.org/

There is a LOT of info on the trails and hotels on their web site. If you check it out you will see the exact opposite of our Ouray experience. We love the FJ's and don't diss them for their incredible organization, insurance, sponsorship, scheduling, group size limits, rules, pre-sale items in their FJ Summit store, ability to 'checkout' (whatever that is..) All in good fun. They are huge! Normally around 200 rigs.

One reason to make your reservation now is our 'Invasion' is happening the same time as the FJ Summit. My personal suggestion is show up a bit early in the week and chill and get into the 'Ouray state of mind' before most folks show up.

Gadzooks2

Post by Gadzooks2 »

Thanks for all the great info guys. The "unorganized" agenda suits me just fine, the wife not so much :D . We'll be looking at the options for camping/hotel and scheduling. We're in CA so the haul is pretty far so we'll have to allow for a stop in Utah on the way. Might have to make it Bryce or Arches..Darn right? Fingers crossed we can pull this off this year! :fsj:

will e

Post by will e »

Gadzooks2 wrote:Thanks for all the great info guys. The "unorganized" agenda suits me just fine, the wife not so much :D . We'll be looking at the options for camping/hotel and scheduling. We're in CA so the haul is pretty far so we'll have to allow for a stop in Utah on the way. Might have to make it Bryce or Arches..Darn right? Fingers crossed we can pull this off this year! :fsj:
Go ahead and reserve a spot at the KOA if you think you will be staying there. The cancelation policy is a good one. I hope you can make it. It is a wonderful experience and the people are awesome.