1967 Resto-Mod Build: 4:1 Quadcab

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
66stepside

Re: 1967 Resto-Mod Build: 4:1 Quadcab

Post by 66stepside »

toothofwar wrote:So what about front finders?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
I'll end up keeping the whole front clip and the cab. I'm down to my last set of front fenders with this build AND I have to slice and dice the quad cab's front fenders to make them proportional to center the front axle in the space. This means I may need these fenders if I mess that up, or if I need factory metal to fill in pieces to get it to look right. Sorry.
twisted frame wrote:If you have time and it's not too much trouble, would you mind posting a pic of the cowl vent trough on any of the cabs you happen to have in an easily-accessible state? I certainly don't mind posting this request in its own thread too as it's not part of your build. I figured I'd ask since you'll be slicing and dicing though! :) My cowl trough is severely rotted at the driver and passenger end such that it leaks water badly into my cab. Of course I'm completely assuming this area on your new parts truck is perfectly great since the truck looks so decent from afar! :-bd
Yes, for sure. I don't mind at all. I have too many pieces of scrap piling up in the back of 62's truck bed, one of which is a complete firewall section. I will snap pics of that and of the quad cab's cowl this weekend. If the cowl I have in my parts section works for you, you can have it, just pay the shipping and it's yours. KaiserJeeps over on IFSJA has a 70's wag build where he shows his cowl repair. His work is flawless!

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

66stepside wrote:Yes, for sure. I don't mind at all. I have too many pieces of scrap piling up in the back of 62's truck bed, one of which is a complete firewall section. I will snap pics of that and of the quad cab's cowl this weekend. If the cowl I have in my parts section works for you, you can have it, just pay the shipping and it's yours. KaiserJeeps over on IFSJA has a 70's wag build where he shows his cowl repair. His work is flawless!
That's very generous of you, thank you!

I'm in awe of KaiserJeeps wag build. The details he has posted about welding and all other aspects of the metal work he's done have been so informative, helpful, and inspiring!
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I’m searching for roughly 3”, or so, of clearance to fit the Jeep radiator support on the front clip, so I’m draining the radiator, getting ready to pull it and the coolers (PS, AC, Tranny) to mock up the Jeep stuff.

At first I tried to graft the Jeep grill support-fascia onto the Chevy radiator/cooler support, but it left me with 6” space to try and find to bolt the Jeep stuff on.

If this 2nd attempt doesn’t work, then I’ll be needing a Jeep LS style radiator, and new AC equipment. I’ll try the “new parts method” as a last resort to save some coin. I’ve got more time than money! Haha

Looking into the abyss:

Slow to drain this way, but now it’s time to slice and dice the inner fender wells.

Here are pics of the plenum/cowl are that is hidden by the dash:

These are kinda pics as seen from below:

Let me know if you need anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit:

The inner fenders are all tact-welded up.

9” deep, 15.5” long, 23” wide on one inner, 28” wide on the other inner. The radiator is empty. So on to the next thing.

Yet another edit:

Radiator/grill supports are mocked up, now some welding is required.

Another edit:

I used the wood as skids to slide it onto the wheeled cart.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Those cowl and firewall pics are perfect, thank you very much! I should be able to fix what I've got - which is a big, gaping hole on the driver and passenger side up in that area. This must mean my rain water drainage path on each side is completely blocked up and not allowing much, if any water to drain out of the cowl vent. Or maybe that area doesn't have enough slope to it as part of the original design.

The pic you got of the Willys grill seen through the firewall hole is cool! 8-)
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Austin4x4

Post by Austin4x4 »

Progress is looking really good! I would really love to see this in person one day. It’s nice to se how other people sole the same problems I came across.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

twisted frame wrote:Those cowl and firewall pics are perfect, thank you very much! I should be able to fix what I've got - which is a big, gaping hole on the driver and passenger side up in that area. This must mean my rain water drainage path on each side is completely blocked up and not allowing much, if any water to drain out of the cowl vent. Or maybe that area doesn't have enough slope to it as part of the original design.

The pic you got of the Willys grill seen through the firewall hole is cool! 8-)

You're welcome. The sides fill up with a ton of debris- is usually put a mesh screen under the removable piece to keep the bigger stuff out. You can get most of the crud out through the fresh air vents inside the cab, but the driver's side vent is usually blocked by the e brake set up- making it a PITA to get to.

The grill lined up nicely in that shot, haha, thanks!
Austin4x4 wrote:Progress is looking really good! I would really love to see this in person one day. It’s nice to se how other people sole the same problems I came across.
Thanks Austin- it's quite a bit of work AS you know! You were 100% right on the difficulty of the roof line; THAT is the hardest part so far.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I’m hanging the inner fenders and radiator support this weekend.

It’s a process of mock up, mark what needs to be trimmed, remove, trim, repeat til it fits.

This is from the top looking down, this should be the last mod, then it’s time to repaint and use some bed liner on it (note the scribe mark where the radiator overfill tank hose is).

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I’m hanging the inner fenders and radiator support this weekend.

It’s a process of mock up, mark what needs to be trimmed, remove, trim, repeat til it fits.

This is from the top looking down, this should be the last mod, then it’s time to repaint and use some bed liner on it (note the scribe mark where the radiator overfill tank hose is).

Edit:

So close; this fascia is for mock up, the AC condenser, PS cooler, tranny cooler doesn’t fit as is- BUT it all bolts up. Time to pause and think about re-do the lines for all the coolers/condenser pieces.

She still needs supports under her mounted to the frame to keep it plumb, true and level.

TurboJ4000

Post by TurboJ4000 »

Now that you have the cab height sort of set, how far below the rocker do you think the frame will be?

I’m worried about that on mine being an eyesore with the 3/4 ton having the taller frame it hangs lower.
1970 J4000 / Chevy Frankenstein in progress
Soon to be Lq4 6.0 and 4l80e on 35s

TurboJ4000

Post by TurboJ4000 »

Now that you have the cab height sort of set, how far below the rocker do you think the frame will be?

I’m worried about that on mine being an eyesore with the 3/4 ton having the taller frame it hangs lower.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

TurboJ4000 wrote:Now that you have the cab height sort of set, how far below the rocker do you think the frame will be?

That’s a good question. The Chevy 1/2 ton frame is narrower that the Jeep frame outside to outside, but the Chevy frame has a few inches of height in it compared to the Jeep frame. As of right now there’s roughly 4” of clearance between the bottom of the Jeep’s floor pans and the top of the Chevy frame.

All in all, I think I’ve hit the sweet spot overall with placement, but I need to finish up the front clip mock up and that includes the hood to be sure.

TurboJ4000

Post by TurboJ4000 »

66stepside wrote: That’s a good question. The Chevy 1/2 ton frame is narrower that the Jeep frame outside to outside, but the Chevy frame has a few inches of height in it compared to the Jeep frame. As of right now there’s roughly 4” of clearance between the bottom of the Jeep’s floor pans and the top of the Chevy frame.

All in all, I think I’ve hit the sweet spot overall with placement, but I need to finish up the front clip mock up and that includes the hood to be sure.

Well I'm hoping I can set the cab pretty much on the frame as low as I can to help hide the frame. That has always bugged me about the GM trucks, if there are not side steps on the truck the frame is always visible below the rocker and I don't like the look. If the hood to engine clearance dictating the 4" clearance between frame and floors or is it the body lines with the bed floor on the frame at the back of the truck?

From my math it seemed that the bed floor would need to be modified (moving it up inside the bed) to allow it to sit low enough to allow the cab floor/supports to be sitting on the frame. (I know the cab can't actually sit on the frame but you get the picture I hope).

Hopefully it works out. Im jealous of your progress! Its making me anxious to get mine moving again... I have been on a pause for shop construction.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

TurboJ4000 wrote: Well I'm hoping I can set the cab pretty much on the frame as low as I can to help hide the frame. That has always bugged me about the GM trucks, if there are not side steps on the truck the frame is always visible below the rocker and I don't like the look. If the hood to engine clearance dictating the 4" clearance between frame and floors or is it the body lines with the bed floor on the frame at the back of the truck?

From my math it seemed that the bed floor would need to be modified (moving it up inside the bed) to allow it to sit low enough to allow the cab floor/supports to be sitting on the frame. (I know the cab can't actually sit on the frame but you get the picture I hope).

Hopefully it works out. Im jealous of your progress! Its making me anxious to get mine moving again... I have been on a pause for shop construction.
Yeah, I hear you. I even mocked up a Waggie floor/firewall combo to see where it would fit since that was as easy as doing the math-measurements, BUT the final placement of the actual cab didn’t even come close to the initial mock up. Which meant more work: slice, dice, graft- repeat til done.

I feel like I’m not making much progress, but at this point I’m not in a rush to get it done, I’m in to getting it right! Haha.

I have a ton of clean up to do in the shop before I get on the front fender mods. I expect to get the fenders dialed in this weekend. Instead of killing a set of fenders to widen the front wheel well gap, I’m going to try and use a set of spare truck bed flares. I don’t even know if they’ll match up, but I hope they do. Finger’s Image !

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

TurboJ4000 wrote: Well I'm hoping I can set the cab pretty much on the frame as low as I can to help hide the frame. That has always bugged me about the GM trucks, if there are not side steps on the truck the frame is always visible below the rocker and I don't like the look. If the hood to engine clearance dictating the 4" clearance between frame and floors or is it the body lines with the bed floor on the frame at the back of the truck?

Yeah, I hear you. I even mocked up a Waggie floor/firewall combo to see where it would fit since that was as easy as doing the math-measurements, BUT the final placement of the actual cab didn’t even come close to the initial mock up. Which meant more work: slice, dice, graft- repeat til done.

I feel like I’m not making much progress, but at this point I’m not in a rush to get it done, I’m in to getting it right! Haha.

I have a ton of clean up to do in the shop before I get on the front fender mods. I expect to get the fenders dialed in this weekend. Instead of killing a set of fenders to widen the front wheel well gap, I’m going to try and use a set of spare truck bed flares. I don’t even know if they’ll match up, but I hope they do. Finger’s Image !

68J2000

Post by 68J2000 »

Interested to see how the roof turns out, I like that you're using the J-truck roof line instead of a Wagoneer's. It just looks 'right'.

Also, I gotta ask. Are you going to be parting out that blue Gladiator?? I'm in need of some sheet metal sections from the bed, PM me if you can, if you're lookin to part it.

Thanks, and Good Luck! It's lookin great so far
1968 J2000 Gladiator {The Poached Rhino} : AMC 360, Holley Sniper Injection w/ Hyperspark Ign, AX15 Terminator, Dana 300, D44/D60 Truetrac 4.11 Gears, 33's (W.I.P.)

1969 Triumph GT6+ :evil: 1JZGTE, CD009 6 speed, R200 LSD rear, 300ZX running gear, shooting for 600hp @ 1800lbs GVW restomodds in order, (on the back burner)

2015 Ram 2500 Cummins {Big Hoss}, Laramie, CCLB, Deleted, MM3 tuner Tuned by Ray @DoubleRDiesel

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

68J2000 wrote:Interested to see how the roof turns out, I like that you're using the J-truck roof line instead of a Wagoneer's. It just looks 'right'.

Also, I gotta ask. Are you going to be parting out that blue Gladiator?? I'm in need of some sheet metal sections from the bed, PM me if you can, if you're lookin to part it.

Thanks, and Good Luck! It's lookin great so far

Ugh, I had the bed of that blue truck for sale, one offer, but he flaked out. I kept the bed floor, the fender wells and the tailgate, but scrapped the rest! Ugh. Sorry.

There’s an early 70’s camper special at the wrecking yard with the bed intact- what do you need?

Thanks! I dug into the widening of the fenders-

Then my phone got cold and killed the battery. More pics to come.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

66stepside wrote:Thanks! I dug into the widening of the fenders-

Ooohh. How much widening are we talking? Probably not like a early 70s GT race car huh? Say...a BMW 3.0 CSL? That's ok - I'm sure it will look cool and also be functional! :P

44bz

Post by 44bz »

Which truck is that green one? I don’t recognize it but love that tailgate!

1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

twisted frame wrote:

Ooohh. How much widening are we talking? Probably not like a early 70s GT race car huh? Say...a BMW 3.0 CSL? That's ok - I'm sure it will look cool and also be functional! :P
I stretched it back two inches so the front wheels would be centered in the fender. I hope it looks Stock. I’ll post up pics when they’re done. While I’m at it, I’ll drill holes for the emblems as they’ll have to be relocated, too.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

twisted frame wrote:

I stretched it back two inches so the front wheels would be centered in the fender. I hope it looks Stock. I’ll post up pics when they’re done. While I’m at it, I’ll drill holes for the emblems as they’ll have to be relocated, too.