wood grain moulding HELP

Stock FSJ Tech Area

Topic author
BobHayes69

wood grain moulding HELP

Post by BobHayes69 »

I have a 1990 GW, and the outside moulding around the wood grain decal seems to be peeling in spots. I was going to spray it with a clear coat for protection, but then I wondered if anyone had painted these before? I have to assume its not real wood, so one could just brush on a touch up of similar color paint?

dodgerammit

Re: wood grain moulding HELP

Post by dodgerammit »

BobHayes69 wrote:I have a 1990 GW, and the outside moulding around the wood grain decal seems to be peeling in spots. I was going to spray it with a clear coat for protection, but then I wondered if anyone had painted these before? I have to assume its not real wood, so one could just brush on a touch up of similar color paint?
I'd test it in a small area first. Was going to repaint mine and use a graining tool to redo the effect, but the paint reacted with the graphic and lifted in spots. This was after very careful prep to remove oils, etc from surface. I was using a plastic friendly paint as well. I decided to recover mine (it is off at the moment) with new vinyl wrap instead.

The molding is some form of vinyl or plastic that has been laminated with the graphic (very thin vinyl coating). I ended up sanding mine using a random orbital deal with a very worn disc and the woodgrain effect came off easy enough.

In your case, I'd try testor's model paint for plastics and see how it does. As far as the clear coat, I can't offer suggestions.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

letank

Post by letank »

I used acrylic paint from the art supply store, good for 3 to 5 years for vehicle parked outside
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
BobHayes69

Post by BobHayes69 »

I think you could hydrodip these things and they would be great, however that would mean pulling the trim.