Replacing Headliner Yourself?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Fast79Chief

Replacing Headliner Yourself?

Post by Fast79Chief »

Has anybody made their own replacement panels for the 79 Chief style 2 piece headliner? I'd be interested in what kind of material yo used to contour to the inner roof and fit into the side channels?

Love to see some ideas and pictures of homemade headliners that replaced the factory cardboard ones.

Thanks.
1979 Cherokee Chief S, V8, MSD Pro Billet Distributor with New Factory Ignition Box (are these 2 even supposed to work together?), HEI Wires, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer manifold, 3.54 gears, Tru-Trac Locker in the rear, Turbo 400, New Quadratrac, Dual gas tanks, new 32 x 11.50's, Big 9000 winch, Homemade 2.5" full length exhaust, Custom Headlight Harness, Custom front bumper working, Custom Rear Swing-out Bumper, Class V receiver hitch ... and a lot of work to do yet. :)

SJTD

Re: Replacing Headliner Yourself?

Post by SJTD »

This is what I used. http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showpost ... stcount=20

As I said higher up in that thread, if I were to do it again I'd move the center roof support forward so I wouldn't have to monkey around mounting the divider.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
Fast79Chief

Post by Fast79Chief »

Looks good SJTD. Is that material readily available? Where is it sold? Is that insulation of some sort you have against the inner roof ?

Let's see more ideas folks.
1979 Cherokee Chief S, V8, MSD Pro Billet Distributor with New Factory Ignition Box (are these 2 even supposed to work together?), HEI Wires, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer manifold, 3.54 gears, Tru-Trac Locker in the rear, Turbo 400, New Quadratrac, Dual gas tanks, new 32 x 11.50's, Big 9000 winch, Homemade 2.5" full length exhaust, Custom Headlight Harness, Custom front bumper working, Custom Rear Swing-out Bumper, Class V receiver hitch ... and a lot of work to do yet. :)

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

It was for me since I live in the big city. Got if from a distributor but they sold to walk in guys like me.

I see it, or something similar, is now available at Lowes.

Search up "Coroplast".

Insulation is a two part urethane. Got it for free from work since it was expired. The guy that handled the hazardous waste let me have it to save himself work. It's nasty stuff in that it uses the same hardener as urethane paint.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

I believe you can get the new headliner kit from BJs. Just depends on what you want to spend. You could also try a local upholstery shop and see what they might sell you, or what they would charge to make one for you.

cmaje72

Post by cmaje72 »

Anyone willing to take measurements of the original headliner boards? I'm starting with nothing (not even the j channels) since the PO stripped the interior for paint then lost all the pieces. I have been looking for a salvageable (or even one I could make a template from) board locally for about a year and a half with no luck. Based on SJTD's post it looks like I could handle making my own.
79 Cherokee 5.3/4l65E/NP241C
79 CJ7

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Man, I wish I would have known about a month ago. Had both my pieces out for cleaning and repainting.

Sorry man.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I haven't tossed mine yet but It'll be a while before I can get to that.

Redoing another bedroom.

Unfortunately they aren't a nice square shape. Lotsa angles and curves.
Sic friatur crustulum

letank

Post by letank »

cmaje72 wrote:Anyone willing to take measurements of the original headliner boards?
I have one sitting, ready to be upgraded, it may take a day before I post the size, will do the flatter part and the angled sections, or the folded ears.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

cmaje72

Post by cmaje72 »

Awsome and no hurry at all. If I can get close I can always trim to fit and the local lowes has those cloroplast sheets pretty cheap so I figure I can probably screw it up a few times and still not be anywhere near the $500 for the pre fab part.
79 CJ7

Topic author
Fast79Chief

Post by Fast79Chief »

Getting back to my original post ... let's see those homemade headliners and info about materials used to get the job done.

Thanks.

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

You can read through my thread. I used coroplast. I did have some issues, but it is covered in the thread. Biggest problem is that the original headliner had shrunk and I did not realize it. It does have a high rate of contraction/expansion and has buckled in a few locations. To be honest I really don't notice it daily driving, just when I look at it closely and go oh yeah..... Better than nothing is the way I look at it. Been 5 year and I would say it was worth it. Good luck. George. http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 232#p45232
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

Topic author
Fast79Chief

Post by Fast79Chief »

ghcoe, by any chance did you measure that rear panel you built before you installed the final cut? If you could share those overall measurements of the pieces you built that would be awesome.

Thanks.

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

I might still have the panels, but I am leaving tomorrow morning and will be gone till next week. So it would be a bit before I can get to it. That is if I still have the panels.
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

letank

Post by letank »

cmaje72 wrote:Awsome and no hurry at all. If I can get close I can always trim to fit and the local lowes has those cloroplast sheets pretty cheap so I figure I can probably screw it up a few times and still not be anywhere near the $500 for the pre fab part.
Here we go, with measurements, off an 86 wagoneer, you can see the water leaks

the front part
HeadlinerFTdim.jpg
and the rear
HeadlinerRrDim.jpg
I realized that I forgot to measure the location of the rear dome and switch light, and probably other points that anybody is welcome to ask for specs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by letank on Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michel

Topic author
Fast79Chief

Post by Fast79Chief »

letank, great job! Would that be the same 2 pieces in a 79? Tried to click on the picture to expand it so I can see your measurements, but it doesn't blow up. Anyway you could send those pics to my email address?

Thanks.

cmaje72

Post by cmaje72 »

If you want to send them to me too I would be more than happy to host the full size images and link them back here so people can blow them up.
79 CJ7

letank

Post by letank »

forgot to do the rear dome light measures, will contact latter today or manana, a rest day from FSJ wrenching
Michel

memsiej

Post by memsiej »

Or do this!

1984 Grand Wagoneer V8 5.9

letank

Post by letank »

email sent, and a note that I forgot to add

The FRONT headliner the top or windshield area has divots for the screws to pass next not thru the headliner, front the center point , aka the rear view mirror mount, the spacing is 6", and the divot is 1" across and barely 1/4 indent as marked on the pict

BUT for the rear headliner, the divots are spaced every 5 1/2"

Other, the tailgate part of the rear headliner has one ear on each side that are about 1", not obvious on the pict, but as said , cutting a bit larger might be a good option, probably 1/4 to 3/8 for the first test.
Michel