Side Project - M416 Trailer

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Chubbinius

Re: Side Project - M416 Trailer

Post by Chubbinius »

That is a great looking trailer and tent set up! I like how keeping the bed open gives so many optinst o load up for whatever activity you might have planned. Very nice...and inspiring.

...begins searches for M416 trailer...;)
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

BCRAWLER

Post by BCRAWLER »

I like the height. As I remember you have a dirt bike or 2. Will they fit in under the tent assembly?
1980 Cherokee,360/727/208, propane powered,unknown lift,31' Adventuro's on Chevy rims,Warn winch
1980 J10,360/standard/208, stepside
1970 GMC 4X4 Pickup, 78 frame, 84 350, Turbo 350/205, patina galore
1986 Blazer K5, 350/205/465 trans
1990 Cherokee XJ, about to scrap for FSJ parts, gone to parts graveyard in sky

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Grand_Wag_85 wrote:Looking good dude! You're very fortunate that nobody hacked off the rear panel, on mine they hacked that and the lunette. Those seem to be the 2 most common things to disappear.

Is it registered with the original serial #? One thing you may want to do if you wheel it a lot is mount the license plate on the left fender. So far nobody has given me any grief for it, even in Nevada! ;)

I've probably put about 40,000 miles on mine since I freshened it up and no issues so far. Only time it ever seems to get squirrely on me is if it is loaded too tail heavy or on a REALLY rutted road the NDT's will make the tail wag the dog.
I dont wheel anything hard enough for the plate location to be an issue but I have considered moving it.

Not registered on the original, its titled as a 2015 home built, it was issued a vin by the state of New York. Thats the vin I stamped on it, and thats the vin I gave to NV. :-)
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Chubbinius wrote:That is a great looking trailer and tent set up! I like how keeping the bed open gives so many optinst o load up for whatever activity you might have planned. Very nice...and inspiring.

...begins searches for M416 trailer...;)
BCRAWLER wrote:I like the height. As I remember you have a dirt bike or 2. Will they fit in under the tent assembly?
I have two disassembled bikes that I dont know if i'll ever get finished. And it would be very difficult to get them in as the trailer has no tailgate.

But, the height of the tent is most certainly an advantage for putting a kayak or two under there, or mountain bikes, etc. :-)
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Well, the tent works. We just went to a campground this weekend for the initial shakedown run.

About 200 miles on the jeep this weekend, trailer towed great. It set up great, broke down fairly slowly, but apparently I can leave the annex attached. That will make things alot easier.

Anyway, it performed well. I have some adjustments in my way of setting it up and tearing it down that I need to make, but I'm pleased so far.

Basically its to the point where all I need to pack into the trailer is the large bin, small bin (kitchen gear), chairs, cooler, wood, and water. Then toss whatever clothing we pack into the jeep, and off we go. It all fit great in the trailer. Looking forward to refining this process.

ImageUntitled by Marn, on Flickr

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Glad it worked well!
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Tripwire

Post by Tripwire »

Nice work on the restoration I own one very close to stock....cant say as i like the tower on top though, but thanks for sharing the pics and your hard work, perhaps if it was removable so you could re-configure for the task at hand?

i might add though that i did add arched fiberglass bows on the bed lips to support the canvas top - it kinda looks "factory" to the un-edumacated
FSJ.ORG JOIN DATE JULY 2000

Tripwire. 86 Grand. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/228 BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer

Washington State

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Tripwire wrote:Nice work on the restoration I own one very close to stock....cant say as i like the tower on top though, but thanks for sharing the pics and your hard work, perhaps if it was removable so you could re-configure for the task at hand?

i might add though that i did add arched fiberglass bows on the bed lips to support the canvas top - it kinda looks "factory" to the un-edumacated
What ‘task at hand’ would it need to be adapted for? It’s a 1/4 ton trailer. The only thing it’s useful for to me is carrying a tent and my gear to a location that my popup cannot go.

It carries my tent while allowing enough room for
The annex under the tent as well as carrying bikes or
Kayaks or any other campy accessories I want. I’m not really sure what else I would use it for because it’s not a particularly useful size and doesn’t have a tailgate. not good for hauling quads or dirt bikes, not really useful to go get a yard of mulch or rock, so on and so forth.

If it was gonna be used to haul any substantial amount of stuff i would have bought a larger trailer with a higher weight rating. I have a 3/4 ton pickup for that kind of work. It seems to work for exactly what I need it for. I had no desire or intention to keep it ‘original’ from day one, though the only unoriginal parts about it are some
Bed liner and 8 holes I drilled.

That all being said it would take about 10 minutes to remove both the rack and tent, either separate or attached to each other.

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

The trailer looks great man! I've been on and off looking for one of those to do basically the same thing. Not sure if you have seen this mod but they make a kit to change the rear panel to an early Jeep tailgate. A local guy here restores and mods those things and the tailgate conversion was pretty cool looking, and useful as well. Hope everything goes well on your excursions! Nice build!
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Phils67 wrote:The trailer looks great man! I've been on and off looking for one of those to do basically the same thing. Not sure if you have seen this mod but they make a kit to change the rear panel to an early Jeep tailgate. A local guy here restores and mods those things and the tailgate conversion was pretty cool looking, and useful as well. Hope everything goes well on your excursions! Nice build!
Thanks.

Been a decently fun project so far, and I think its going to serve us well.

az chip

Post by az chip »

Looks great! Said so on fb as well. Cool project and the welds looked ok to me but what do I know. How are the nuns doing?
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

az chip

Post by az chip »

P.S. you didnt come off a certain way, I just reacted angrily to having been asked what is apparently a logical question, and having my design thought process and skillset questioned for the umpteenth time.
It's the interwebs. Breath in and out slowly and tell the people that piss you off to go f off and die.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Dr. Marneaus wrote: I dont wheel anything hard enough for the plate location to be an issue but I have considered moving it.

Not registered on the original, its titled as a 2015 home built, it was issued a vin by the state of New York. Thats the vin I stamped on it, and thats the vin I gave to NV. :-)
Small world! I originally titled and registered mine as 2006 home built in NY as well, now Colorado...Aside from the weird VIN # no problems

I wheel mine every chance I get...more capable than the Jeep! ;)

82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!